Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NA 'street' LS2 403 build - "From Crate to Dyno"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the compliment bro. My car would do better with someone that could drive a little better but I'm confident that I'll do better next time now that some previous issues have been addressed.

Those pics of your car are great. So detailed its like being there. Wish I would've been smart and taped off my rear quarters like you did. Got a bunch of rubber that has been difficult to get off. When it did come off the paint was not as nice as it was before. Any suggestions on making that area look good ?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great numbers and pics! Congrats. A launch like that and I'd be leaving Vette pieces and parts all over the place.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great build man that is just awsome I wish I had the knowledge and tools to do that.

I just got myself a lingenfelter 403 shortblock with a spun bearing for CHEEP!!! they claim the crank can be turned .0030 and will be fine but I think I will just go with a new one. for what I paid for the block a new crank will still have me under half what it would of costed new.

I see you are running it on a LS1 computer I am glad to see that being done because I was afraid running drive by cable. I was also concerned about the size of cam to put in it.

I want mine to be very streetable so I dont know if I will go with a cam quit as large as yours. I may have to get up with you on what to use to build my setup with.

I had also plannedf or L92 heads and a ls3 intake. my goal is close to 500 at the wheels
Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

helicoil, thanks for sharing...

it takes a lot of effort to take sensible pics and to post with matching text.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

What headers and y-pipe are you running? Looks like Kooks, but wanted to verify. Also, do you run knock sensors on this motor?

Great build. It's awesome to see people actually build their motors and pay attention to the details. It's, unfortunately, a dying art.....
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks for the compliment bro. My car would do better with someone that could drive a little better but I'm confident that I'll do better next time now that some previous issues have been addressed.

Those pics of your car are great. So detailed its like being there. Wish I would've been smart and taped off my rear quarters like you did. Got a bunch of rubber that has been difficult to get off. When it did come off the paint was not as nice as it was before. Any suggestions on making that area look good ?
A buddy gives me a hard time for the tape, but what the hell, I'm ****, beats trashing the car. As far as your paint I'm sure you could do a little buffing with the right compounds and bring back the shine. It might take a couple of steps.

BTW, I called Ron, he doesn't sell it. He said to call Metco direct and I did and they don't offer a 45* one. The only 45* one they had was for a T-Type Buick that is set-up for a push in V.C. with a 1.22" hole. Mine screws in. I did buy it though, because I think I can connect it to my short straight aluminum adapter and then put the breather on top of it. I hope doesn't look retarded, might be too tall in the end. If so, I can cut it all down and weld it together and make something out of it all. i would really like to stand that up straight.
What is it exactly that you got on yours? I have the Katech V.C.'s

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Great numbers and pics! Congrats. A launch like that and I'd be leaving Vette pieces and parts all over the place.
LOL. You are probably right, but those Vettes sure do look nice!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
Great build man that is just awsome I wish I had the knowledge and tools to do that.

I just got myself a lingenfelter 403 shortblock with a spun bearing for CHEEP!!! they claim the crank can be turned .0030 and will be fine but I think I will just go with a new one. for what I paid for the block a new crank will still have me under half what it would of costed new.

I see you are running it on a LS1 computer I am glad to see that being done because I was afraid running drive by cable. I was also concerned about the size of cam to put in it.

I want mine to be very streetable so I dont know if I will go with a cam quit as large as yours. I may have to get up with you on what to use to build my setup with.

I had also plannedf or L92 heads and a ls3 intake. my goal is close to 500 at the wheels
Should be no sweat. All kinds of similar builds like that going on around here.

Originally Posted by joecar
helicoil, thanks for sharing...

it takes a lot of effort to take sensible pics and to post with matching text.

Thanks, I tried to give it some flow. Your right, taking the pics and getting them loaded to Photobucket and then sifting through them to put them in some kind of order can be a PITA. But it was all fun.

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
What headers and y-pipe are you running? Looks like Kooks, but wanted to verify. Also, do you run knock sensors on this motor?

Great build. It's awesome to see people actually build their motors and pay attention to the details. It's, unfortunately, a dying art.....
I run a custom Y, no big deal really. I started with a Kooks off road and cut it up installing a Flowmaster merge 3" in to 3.5" out into a 3.5" Intermediate pipe to the stock Magnaflow over the axle pipe. I have a DMH cutout in the 3.5" Intermediate pipe tucked up in the footwell area. It all fits real nice. I posted some underneath pics that show it all a few pages back.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Where you at the track this past Tuesday?

Very nice thread and very nice car!

John
Old 05-15-2010, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks,

Yes,I was there Tuesday night.

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Where you at the track this past Tuesday?

Very nice thread and very nice car!

John
Old 05-15-2010, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ve read this thread 3 times so much good info! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Nice write up man but I have to ask. When I look at others build I try and compare things to my car the way it is performing at the moment. My car is a H/C/I stock bottom end full weight 2002 LS1 Camaro Z28. My best times at the track so far on the motor have been 10.99@122mph 1.49 60ft. 10.93@122mph 1.46 60ft and 10.90@123mph with a 1.46 60ft. All 10 second passes all happen within a 4 month time span and the car was trailered to the track. I am in the process of building the new 402ci motor I have a set of TFS 215cnc heads that are going to be opened up to 4" bore size and I will be dropping a 2.055 valve in the intake side. My question is, are we running the same times because of elevation? I am expecting the new motor to put me somewhere in the low 10's on the motor and in the 9's on the spray. Am I being unrealistic with the new motor? Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by odarabla
Nice write up man but I have to ask. When I look at others build I try and compare things to my car the way it is performing at the moment. My car is a H/C/I stock bottom end full weight 2002 LS1 Camaro Z28. My best times at the track so far on the motor have been 10.99@122mph 1.49 60ft. 10.93@122mph 1.46 60ft and 10.90@123mph with a 1.46 60ft. All 10 second passes all happen within a 4 month time span and the car was trailered to the track. I am in the process of building the new 402ci motor I have a set of TFS 215cnc heads that are going to be opened up to 4" bore size and I will be dropping a 2.055 valve in the intake side. My question is, are we running the same times because of elevation? I am expecting the new motor to put me somewhere in the low 10's on the motor and in the 9's on the spray. Am I being unrealistic with the new motor? Thanks

Sounds like your car runs exceptionally well for a stock bottom end, must be a nice combo of parts. I don't know that an engine like this will go low 10's at 3750 lbs, with a 'reasonably' tight converter and 3.70 gears and a driveable cam. In fact, I know this one won't. Mid 10's will be it for this one once its lined out and in the right air. On the button it will go 9's which is plenty fast for me and this car. I have race cars, and this isn't one of them, I learned that last year. Too nice of a car.

If I wanted to maximize the combo for the strip, I would put a set of 4.11's in it and run the next converter up '5C', install a low 250 @ .050" camshaft and put this pig on a diet and then it would go low 10's at -700 DA.

I would suggest you look at a 427 or larger and put your car on a diet to get your bottom 10's and still be streetable. JMO.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tim, what were the 1/8th mile times and mph.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by odarabla
I have the same mind set as you my friend, always comparing others results and setups with my own. My relatively mild stock bottom end setup which was AFR 205s with a 228/230 cam, cheap headers, LS6 intake and stock ported TB, went 11.20s@122 on its SECOND pass pulling a 1.58 60ft with 17" ET streets. I'm very confident it had low, low 11s in it at least as I was not powershifting or launching it ***** out. My car is also full weight with the exception of no front sway bar and the spare/jack.

Heli Coil, I don't think either of us are saying these things to take away from your car, it just leaves some of us wondering...

Great thread BTW, and congrats on meeting your goals
Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
Hey Tim, what were the 1/8th mile times and mph.
6.93 et @ 98.35 mph

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I have the same mind set as you my friend, always comparing others results and setups with my own. My relatively mild stock bottom end setup which was AFR 205s with a 228/230 cam, cheap headers, LS6 intake and stock ported TB, went 11.20s@122 on its SECOND pass pulling a 1.58 60ft with 17" ET streets. I'm very confident it had low, low 11s in it at least as I was not powershifting or launching it ***** out. My car is also full weight with the exception of no front sway bar and the spare/jack.

Heli Coil, I don't think either of us are saying these things to take away from your car, it just leaves some of us wondering...

Great thread BTW, and congrats on meeting your goals
Thanks, nice times there. Not personal to me at all, if it was I wouldn't have shared all of this on the internet.

I am always looking to learn some and I think from the last couple replies it appears I should be running faster for this combo of parts. lol. I did mull over my track logs early in the week and saw some things that I thought could be better and forwarded them on to Frost, he agreed and suggested some changes. I still need to tweek some things that I really didn't play with that night, well,,,, because I was content with the performance and I did run out of time and still hadn't peaked out this tune. I suppose I can do some things, better dial the A/F, play with shift points, alleviate the burst knock, maybe increase the timing a point, or two or three.......search out a racetrack in Death Valley. Honestly, I am pretty happy but will shoot to optimize the combination, but I certainly don't see low 10's in this package, not at these conditions.

I have raced for alot of years, unfortunately not these types of cars (old school carbureted stuff), and the BEST track times do not come this time of year. I am certain in the fall, when most record their bests, the times may be more in line with what is anticipated. Again, if this go goes 10.50's @ 125-126'ish at that weight, what more can be expected?

I will post back my results after it is 100% tuned. I am no tuning expert, but I'll keep at it. I like a good challenge, I got some good help in my corner.

I must have a 'heavier' F-Body, because I look at some of the wieghts that are posted on here and wonder WTF. Mine tipped the scales at 3810 last year in Memphis at the LSX shooout, Procharged and w/ drag rims, how are you guys at stock weight at 35XX?? I weighed the whole Procharger system when I removed it to sell and only lost 73#, I had the twin intercooler version, the D1 was only a baby snail.

Nonetheless, I do look to improve a little and foresee an easy 10.80 next time out in this weather. Who knows, maybe if I make some strides in the tune it will go even better. Always open for suggestions.

Last edited by helicoil; 05-16-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-16-2010, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

I weighed my car on some farm scales years ago lol. And I only weigh around 120, so that helps! Once my car is back together I will weigh it at the track since they have scales now.

I agree with you on it not being a low 10 sec runner, but I would expect it to be capable of mid 10s. And yes, I like the fall for getting some nice times, however, my runs were made last April, and it made 430/400 the last time at the dyno when it still had the 10 bolt. Made a best of 446/411 but never got to run it like that (tuner messed with stuff for a n2o tune and never put the n/a tune back in and I didn't know it for a VERY long time!)

Anyhow, I am anxious to see you start whittling away at the time as you dial it in
Old 05-16-2010, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I weighed my car on some farm scales years ago lol. And I only weigh around 120, so that helps! Once my car is back together I will weigh it at the track since they have scales now.

I agree with you on it not being a low 10 sec runner, but I would expect it to be capable of mid 10s. And yes, I like the fall for getting some nice times, however, my runs were made last April, and it made 430/400 the last time at the dyno when it still had the 10 bolt. Made a best of 446/411 but never got to run it like that (tuner messed with stuff for a n2o tune and never put the n/a tune back in and I didn't know it for a VERY long time!)

Anyhow, I am anxious to see you start whittling away at the time as you dial it in
Some good info in this thread on these kinds of combos, they are 'on average' what they are. Too bad it is no longer being maintained.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...part-ii-3.html

Lots of dyno info in the thread for 'comparison' sake, but as you know there are so many variables with all that. Dyno type, vehicle specifics (driveline, wheels, etc.), tunes, corrections, etc., etc.

The member in post #51, is a regular on the FI forum and shoots straight, plus is no dummy and makes alot of hits at the track. That car is similar in weight to mine and similar in engine parts and had a T-braked 5200 'verter to launch from. I believe the times he recorded to be on target with this combo. Some more tweeking on mine will probably yield similar results, and that may be it. Post #129 is pretty good too. Seems to be a racer type.
Of course, no DA listed for these runs which could be a .3-.5 variable in it all. Your April air, may not be what my April air is, etc.

Soooooo many variables in internet racing, just gotta keep that open mind when sifting through it all. GL
Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by helicoil
Thanks,

Yes,I was there Tuesday night.
I didn't know that was you or I would have said hello, I was trying to concentrate on launching my car on my street tires that night which ended up being a battle I ultimately lost.. lol

If I see you at the track next time I am over there I would like to check out your ride if it is not a bother.

John

Last edited by Neumonic2002; 05-16-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

I am hoping to gain about 100hp over my current setup with this new engine I am currently building. My car now, as it sits made 447rwhp and 403rwtq through a 4400 PTC stall converter, built 4L60E, Strange 12bolt with 4.11 gears full weight car. As stated above I've went a best of 10.90@123mph with a 1.46 60ft. The 1/8 mile was a 6.92@98mph. This was also done on completely stock suspension. I have a brand new built th350 tranny with manual valve body and 8" 4000 stall converter, all BMR and Strange suspension parts, brand new LS2 block, autotech 4340 pistons sitting on the shop floor waiting to be installed. I have on order a scat crank and h-beam rods. Not sure what cam I am going to go with at the moment because it's been very hard to get in touch with Allen Futral to help spec it out. I am going to use the same heads (trick flow 215cnc) I already have opened up to a 4" bore size and dropping in bigger intake valves, ported fast 90mm and NW 90mmtb. As far as injectors are concerned I am thinking I will go with the 42#SVO injectors. With the power I am hoping to gain from this engine is 10.20's 10.teens out of reach. Remember I live in the south below sea level so DA is a none factor but humidity is! LOL Didn't mean to Just interested in what you guys have to say. Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Like I said, your car is running very good if it weighs 3750+ lbs.....by adding those inches I would expect another 85 HP at the flywheel. Your making 1.5 per inch now 'roughly'.

If I didn't have the intake already I would have probably gotten a 102 FAST and matching TB. It appears this one may be a choke on the engine, not a big one, but a choke anyway. The bigger TBs, 95MM plus seem to be the way to go. You can see in my log I posted there is a little bit of a restriction indicated, not huge, but it is there. And it is not the lid, I replaced that with a Fast Toys a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Like I said, your car is running very good if it weighs 3750+ lbs.....by adding those inches I would expect another 85 HP at the flywheel. Your making 1.5 per inch now 'roughly'.

If I didn't have the intake already I would have probably gotten a 102 FAST and matching TB. It appears this one may be a choke on the engine, not a big one, but a choke anyway. The bigger TBs, 95MM plus seem to be the way to go. You can see in my log I posted there is a little bit of a restriction indicated, not huge, but it is there. And it is not the lid, I replaced that with a Fast Toys a couple of weeks ago.

It's going to be a similar engine setup to allign c5 with just a bigger cam. My car is a street car that doesn't get much street time. I only put 11,000 miles on my car in the last 3 years so I can stand to deal with the surging a bigger can may provide. I am thinking that she should at least run 10.20's or 10.30's @130+mph. **** my buddies 418ci L92 setup only put down 475rwhp and 486rwtrq with a smaller cam than I have in my 346ci and he ran a best of 10.28@134mph. My car weighs 3600lbs with me in it so I am a little lighter than you are. Congrates either way man sounds like your car is a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: NA 'street' LS2 403 build - "From Crate to Dyno"