Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Awesome thread. I did want to ask why you went with an aftermarket crank instead of stock? I have "read" stock cranks are good to 1000hp or so. I am asking because I want to learn.

I wish I would have paid more attention in math class now.
The stock LS2 crank is a 3.622" stroke crank, which would give him a 364 to 365 cubic inch motor.

He went with a 4.000" stroke crank to give him 403 cubic inches of displacement.

Note: Currently the only Stock 4.000" stroke LS crank that GM makes is for the LS7 which has a dry sump oil system.
The LS7 crank can be used in a LS2 block, but it would call for different components (external oil pump, external oil reservoir, LS7 pulleys and front accessories) -vs- a LS1/LS2 setup.

And yes that is a good question to bring up in a thread like this.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Spent the last 3 days slowly reading this when I had the chance, Just wanted to say great job on the build, learned a lot and a lot still confuses me but I'll get it eventually! Can't wait to see some numbers! Again, great job!

Casey

U.S. Army
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

Doh! I forgot he stroked it, disregard my last post. I think I was drunk at the time.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After catching up on the last page or two of this thread it just occurred to me how much time the OP (Helicoil) had invested in prepping and painting the FAST 92 I ported for him.

Ben....don't tell me your going to do the same on the new 102 I just sent you!!

You have issues man!!.....LOL

Seriously, great thread and the good news with the new FAST design is the top comes right off and would be alot easier to work with should you be thinking about it. The runners would still be all attached to the base and you dont even have to disrupt anything to rework and paint the lid should you choose to.

Anyway, like many others Im sure, I am looking forward to the dyno and track results....

Nice job on the entire execution!

-Tony
Old 04-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Don't get me wrong here, your doing an amazing job, but with a budget and those goals, why not rebuild a used LQ9/LQ4 Shortblock with some L92's LS3 Intake, etc?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Don't mind at all. The SLP lid is just what I had.
I have been contemplating buying a Fast Toys lid, but I have read multiple threads, including some info off their site, that says they rub on SS hoods and interfere. So I am looking for alternatives. Also, I am not really convinced there is an advantage, I guess I need to research this site some more. Do you have any thread links or first hand experience changing from the SLP to another option on an engine similar to this one that showed power increase.

As far as the front shocks I never really had the need for the softer QA1's, the car weight transferred O.K. (sway bar undone) when I was making decent power and running in the 9's. My 60's were consistent and it was hooking so I didn't see a need to spend the money, however, the rear shocks were a good investment. The car responded to some adjustment to them after putting them on.

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
nice build but if you dont mind me asking why spend all that time and money and still have stock front shocks and a slp lid?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Good ?
Actually, I had a very nice LQ4 shortblock (Callies Racemaster, Compstar H-beam, and Wiseco piston) I just built and sold right before I started this build that helped with the financing of this one. I didn't want to put an iron block in this car, just my preference....

Also, I already had a ported Fast 90 from Tony that I had a fair bit of cash in from a few years ago, some Yella Terra rockers, the fuel rail set-up, and I had already bought a used camshaft for the project that was better suited to cathedral port heads - so I was committed and had my game plan. I get a pretty decent break on parts through ATech (Summit wholesale) so the TFS heads were a good buy and matched the rest of what I was doing.

When I mention 'budget' I wasn't referencing 'cheap', I just had a certain amount of money I was 'budgeting' to spend on this project and no more. Something I have to do for myself to avoid going overboard.

Originally Posted by Antler
Don't get me wrong here, your doing an amazing job, but with a budget and those goals, why not rebuild a used LQ9/LQ4 Shortblock with some L92's LS3 Intake, etc?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Hi Tony, so is the NEW manifold really that much better, I haven't really kept up with all the reading on here. BTW mine is a 90, it is few years old.

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
After catching up on the last page or two of this thread it just occurred to me how much time the OP (Helicoil) had invested in prepping and painting the FAST 92 I ported for him.

Ben....don't tell me your going to do the same on the new 102 I just sent you!!

You have issues man!!.....LOL

Seriously, great thread and the good news with the new FAST design is the top comes right off and would be alot easier to work with should you be thinking about it. The runners would still be all attached to the base and you dont even have to disrupt anything to rework and paint the lid should you choose to.

Anyway, like many others Im sure, I am looking forward to the dyno and track results....

Nice job on the entire execution!

-Tony
Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
MASS seller approved

a moderator on here Damian said he has seen a 12 hp increase across the board on a 85mm maf and 85mm lid

and ya i have seen them rub on the ss hoods but it wont break it just make a scuff mark from what pics i have seen people post might just be a good 150$ mod
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

awesome build...

so is this what you do for a living? like..work at a machine shop?

i wanna do this...
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just read through the whole thread between classes, awesome work, there must be a couple hundred hours invested in that engine. Also I don't know if I missed it but I was just wondering what the PTV clearance was.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Great thread, thanks for sharing the details of your project.

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
The LS7 crank can be used in a LS2 block, but it would call for different components (external oil pump, external oil reservoir, LS7 pulleys and front accessories) -vs- a LS1/LS2 setup.
Actually that's not true, all you need is a crank snout spacer, or you can machine down the crank. It's pretty much a bolt in.

From what I've read, the only time people have issues is if they try and use heavier rods than the factory titanium ones....that ends up costing a lot of money to balance the crank.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
a moderator on here Damian said he has seen a 12 hp increase across the board on a 85mm maf and 85mm lid

and ya i have seen them rub on the ss hoods but it wont break it just make a scuff mark from what pics i have seen people post might just be a good 150$ mod
Hmm, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by blkOWT
awesome build...

so is this what you do for a living? like..work at a machine shop?

i wanna do this...
Kind of. It is more or less my hobby and earns me a few extra bucks on the side. My work comes in spurts and I like it that way, it eats alot of time. I am fortunate I don't have to earn a living from it.

Originally Posted by camz28arro
Just read through the whole thread between classes, awesome work, there must be a couple hundred hours invested in that engine. Also I don't know if I missed it but I was just wondering what the PTV clearance was.
Going from memory without checking my notes - .180". It wasn't even close.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
After the ring install I took off the rod caps and prepared the pistons for
Why the hose clamp? It made me think you weren't using a tapered ring compressor. Needless to say, I was shocked.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
9 Second Club

It is tapered, and adjustable. The bore range is 4.0"-4.080", it is has 'slit' down the side, saves from having to buy one for every bore size.

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Why the hose clamp? It made me think you weren't using a tapered ring compressor. Needless to say, I was shocked.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Awesome thread....Thanks for taking the time!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

It's running.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

When will you have dyno results?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

[/QUOTE]Kind of. It is more or less my hobby and earns me a few extra bucks on the side. My work comes in spurts and I like it that way, it eats alot of time. I am fortunate I don't have to earn a living from it.[/QUOTE]

soo...do you want to come to houston and help me build an ls2? lol.

well ur really good at it man. amazing skills.

please post vids!!!!

Quick Reply: NA 'street' LS2 403 build - "From Crate to Dyno"