Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

AFM/DoD Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM/DoD Delete

So I was reading up on deleting the AFM/DoD system. My reading and searching on here thus far says you will need regular lifter trays, 8 lifters, and the regular LS1 valley cover.

At the moment I have the lifter trays, 16 LS7 lifters, but unsure why I would need the valley cover.

I've done some quick research on the AFM system to see how it works, and to my understanding the PCM provides oil to the lifters when it wants to shut them off. This comes through the feed hole in the valley, moves through the valley cover and to the lifters as required.

To me it seems switching to the LS1 valley cover would leave the feed hole wide open (for a massive loss in oil pressure?). Do you have to close this hole up when you switch over?

If that is the case, is there any reason I can not just keep the AFM valley cover? Could I just seal the valley cover oil feed holes up?

Also the lifter holes, do you need to do anything about those? The oil travels from the valley cover directly to an oil feed hole in the lifter bore. Unsure if that will make a difference or not.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need an LS2 and up valley cover. The LS1 cover will not work. We sell a kit with all the parts including the LS2/7 valley cover. The oil passages to the lifters must be blocked off by the LS2/7 valley cover. The LS1 cover has provisions for the knock sensor bosses in the valley and will not seal or clear a Gen IV block.

Shane
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Can you put a link to the DOD delete kit? That site is a black hole.

Thanks

Lance
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&sid=930#P7998

Here ya go...

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Solid. Your link definitely told me what I needed to know, thanks!

Does oil flow through the LS2 valley cover at all? Did all Gen 4 blocks have have the oiling towers for DoD?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

More googling revealed the answers to me. Will probably be purchasing that kit you posted soon, gotta get this block custom mounted into the car first!

+1 Thunder Racing for not telling me I need a cam and valve springs and other stupid **** just to delete DoD.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sommmatt
More googling revealed the answers to me. Will probably be purchasing that kit you posted soon, gotta get this block custom mounted into the car first!

+1 Thunder Racing for not telling me I need a cam and valve springs and other stupid **** just to delete DoD.
I would safely say... most(95%) people that are going to delete the dod internally in the engine is going to be installing a new cam anyway, so that were all of the other parts come into play. You can have the dod delete feature disabled in the computer and never have tear into the engine to remove the dod parts.

Good Luck
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Which would be totally awesome to do, provided I had a Gen4 ECU... This is kind of a mismash of parts here, and I'm not sure just having no signal go to the DoD will leave the system off. Will be running a Gen3 ECU.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

If you are not changing cams I would run a stock cam out of the equivalent non DOD engine. The lobes on the DOD cylinders are much smaller than the non DOD cylinders. If you are unsure, please contact me at the shop. I have many stock cams laying around. I'd be happy to send you one if you need it.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info! I am in the same spot. Have a on demand block and dont want all that mumbo jumbo!

How far can a 5.3 gen 4 block be bored to?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sommmatt
Solid. Your link definitely told me what I needed to know, thanks!

Does oil flow through the LS2 valley cover at all? Did all Gen 4 blocks have have the oiling towers for DoD?
Oil does not flow through the LS2/3 non-DOD valley cover. Unless you buy the cover new, complete with gasket, bolts and O-RINGS, you are going to have a problem, because at the present time, the O-RINGS are unavailable.
The towers need to be sealed. the LS2/3 cover with the o-rings will do it, or you can tap threads in the top of towers for 1/8" pipe thread or 3/8" set screws. We just got through doing this to an aluminum GenlV 5.3. We had the LS2 valley cover but found it impossible to get the O-rings that seal the towers. Since the holes in the towers are almost exactly 5/16", which is the proper size for a 3/8" x16 tap, we bought 3/8" set screws at Lowe's and tapped them to that size, then used a small amount of blue threadlocker to seal them. This is easy to do with the engine on a stand where you can rotate it so the towers are angled downward. then use a shop vac to clean any particles out. Use a strong light and a magnifying glass to make sure there are no burrs left in the holes. Easy and cheap. Less than $5.00. We carefully cut the perimeter gasket off the DOD cover and re-used it on the LS2 cover because we already had it, but I see no reason you couldn't use the DOD cover since the towers would be blocked. You can find more info in a couple of threads by myself and also by *Geezer* and some posts by this guy
*rsz288 * Good luck! Ron
Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Solid information Ron, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: AFM/DoD Delete