Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Well it will be easy to find out. I'll simply turn VVT off and on and do back to back pulls on the dyno. That will tell the tale right there
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cam
Well it will be easy to find out. I'll simply turn VVT off and on and do back to back pulls on the dyno. That will tell the tale right there
Oh please! The comparison I'm looking for is an aftermarket LS3 cam vs L99 vvt cam and both with the correct valve springs. Still I'm glad your car runs well and look forward to seeing the curves.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I'm looking for is an aftermarket LS3 cam vs L99 vvt cam and both with the correct valve springs
Go troll elsewhere your posts make no sense.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Alright I had a beer and thought about it. The thing that frustrates me is futureuser you seem out of touch with the technology is all.

You want a cam and test for both? Heres the test;

224 cam on a 112 vs a 224 cam on a 114 can you tell me which ones better for what and which one will make more power than the other? I need to know where your at if any of this is going to digest for you? Identical engine and valve springs that is

Shhhhh no helping

Last edited by cam; 06-20-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added about valve springs
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
Alright I had a beer and thought about it. The thing that frustrates me is futureuser you seem out of touch with the technology is all.

224 cam on a 112 vs a 224 cam on a 114 can you tell me which ones better for what and which one will make more power than the other? I need to know where your at if any of this is going to digest for you? Identical engine and valve springs that is

Shhhhh no helping
I'll be honest without googling. The tighter lobe cam should be more difficult to idle smooth, should have snappier throttle response and make more bottom end torque. The wider lobe sep's should idle smoother and make a little more power up top?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by futureuser
I'll be honest without googling. The tighter lobe cam should be more difficult to idle smooth, should have snappier throttle response and make more bottom end torque. The wider lobe sep's should idle smoother and make a little more power up top?
Pretty much.

So this cam I have its a 114 cam. But installed at a 110. Then we use the phaser to roll it out to 116 or so ( I havent even looked at what the latest is i keep messing with it but ive had it as far as 122 LOL ) Anyways thats it. A cam is a cam any jack q dingldonger can buy one off the shelf and like anyone else he has to pick his lobe sep. With VVT you dont. Thats allllllll its is
Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Okay well you got me there. But, I'm confused. This is where I thought dohc independent intake and exhaust vvt or the viper cam in cam vvt system had the advantage, they could alter LSAs. My understanding was that our vvt system could not do this because the LSA is fixed in the single cam grind and can only advance or retard the cam, both lobe profiles at the same time.

What am I missing?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Its right there above your last post man. Think on it
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam

Shhhhh no helping
Cam, we have a misunderstanding. You did not specify ISA or LSA. I am referring to LSA and you are referring to ISA. Not the same thing. You can adjust ISA with our motor's vvt, not LSA. With other motors you can change both. You owe me a blue.

ISA=Installed seperation angle

Last edited by futureuser; 06-20-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hell after beer # bedtime? Im sick and tired of even thinking I need downtime too I've been working since 8am and lierally just stopped and was even watching Thunderball for ***** sake!

What matters to me is simple.

I'm going to dyno with VVT on/off and mess with it? Then post the results. The rest of anyones trolling can swing sack until then

Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good article on LS3/L99 cam tests.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Well, take a break to sleep, and then think, just like you told me to do. And I really liked the little popcorn symbol you posted on my build thread when I was looking at LS3 cams, and with no explanation.

Last edited by futureuser; 06-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98RedZone
From your article:

You didn't think the Stage III results would be any different, did you? Well, they were, with the Stage III LS3 finally on top for the entire run, making 10.4 hp and 8.2 lb-ft more torque more than the L99. Of course, with half a point less compression and a smaller lift camshaft, the L99 really did hold its own, proving the new technology is certainly nothing to be scared of.

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz1yOIiHDWx

These are about my LY6 results with an bigger LS3 cam and even less compression and bore.

Last edited by futureuser; 06-20-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clear things up... the ls vvt system only allows you to change ICL, not LSA. It's basically the ability to have 224/232 115(and anywhere from +25 to -25 ICL)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I built my drag motor, I spec'd a cam to give me high RPM power, it had a lot of overlap, very little vacuum, and needed a 4000 stall converter to be happy. Wouldn't pass emissions if I threw a stick at it.

When I built my road-course/AutoX motor, I spec'd a cam to give me a broad RPM power band starting at 2000rpms, very little overlap, lots of vacuum to keep the brakes happy. Still wouldn't pass emissions unless I put catalytic converters on to test and remove to race.

My VVT L92 motor will have street manners, broad RPM power band, friendly 113 overlap, lots of vacuum, high RPM power, and welded in catalytic converters. Could I make a better drag car with a non-VVT cam, probably. Could I make a better AutoX car with a non-VVT cam, probably. Could I make a non-VVT cam do it all as well as VVT, probably not.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Futureuser yes I did sleep and think. Cam thinking is not something Ive had to do much of lately seeing as I started this thread two years ago when i really was thinking about cams. But yes ICL not LSA changes with these VVT set ups my bad for trying to splain late and half boxed whilst trying to relax and recalling something I havent had to in quite a while im too busy cruising around everywhere enjoying this thing.

Regarding your thread of which I have long forgotten about the popcorn is in no way offensive its merely a way to subscribe saying "Im in for results" is all. Not sure why this is something that got your feathers ruffled.

Anyways THIS thread is about finding a cam for VVT gen IV GM engines that performs like the TR224 did on LS1's. The lazy **** cam redux its not about opinions on VVT pluses/minuses we have hashed that out in other threads already get over it.

So if you wish to offer suggestions for how to create a cam similar or better to the TR224 for a genIV VVT application then by all means go for it. If not stop hijacking and trolling your only adding messy confusing filler to what hopefully will end up somewhat informative to anyone looking for cam options for their VVT build. Now that Ive said that you just made my ignore list have a nice life.

To anyone else who has read this far and is actually INTERESTED in this cam im sorry if I added confusing rhetoric trolls love to push buttons and im just a passionate gear head im no Pro shop builder but I think my builds speak for themselves. Anyone whos seen or been for a ride can attest to that.

So now back to the good stuff. Results coming soon good, or bad dyno and track. I'll post up what it is
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

CAM,
What phaser limiter are you using?

thanks,
Jim
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Comp 5456 phase limiter for this one
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question regarding "degreeing in" a VVT camshaft. I have been searching including watching a Comp Cams video on installing a VVT camshaft and I have yet to see anyone degree in a VVT camshaft.

So does one just install it dot-to-dot and call it good? Maybe just check the piston to valve clearance? I received my VVT3 cam from TSP and there is not a cam with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I didnt want to deal with any of that hence the PatG order plus I had Geoff verify it on his cam machine so I didnt have to degree it per se. I simply told him I didnt want to pull the heads nor deal with flycutting yet wanted the biggest cam I could fit in there. Initially I was leaning towards a grind similar to Spinmonsters in the 230/246 range but both Pat and Geoff were pushing me away from that big of a cam saying it wasnt nec to make great power. I trusted the guys with more experience than me and got ths 222/230 and stuffed it in dot to dot ( its actually an arrow but I digress ) and all good.

Interestingly enough now that time has gone on and theres lots of VVT cams out there if you look at the TSP VVT2 vs VVT3 the cam profiles are quite different but the power gained from the 3 over the 2 isnt a whole lot. Not as much as I would have guessed anyways.

That said this cam im running is very tame. It could easily be run in an auto with a stock converter too I bet. I sure know I could take a more radical cam and still find it very daily driveable but so long as it performs as well as I had hoped then I have no complaints. It sure does have one long power band.

Quick Reply: Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam