TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the difference?

Was just wondering what r the differences of all the ls motor well these

LS1
LS2
LS6
LS3

??? Out of these 4 what r difference, what can handle more pain as of nitrous or boost( stock block) and what r better combos as of H/C/I ,

Now to personal question , r porting the ls6 heads worth it from buying trickflows?
What about the Ls3 heads how good are those ? with a ls6 motor?
What r the good intake combos out there? Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

oh my god.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats with the omg , i try using search and no go , i try using google and no go .. so tought ill ask , if u have something neg to say why even post ... just tought ill ask since im currently looking into the ls3 head swap or porting the ls6 heads ....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a clue about spray, but I would think you couldn't go wrong with some ported trick flows on it. I'd just call one of the sponsors and ask them. Tell them exactly what you want to do and see what they have to say.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks.. will do
Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS3 heads will not go on the LS1 block because the bore is too small. LS1 is a 346 cubic inch engine (5.7L), LS2 is the same engine with a larger bore giving it more cubic inches (6.0L), it also has a slightly diferent manifold and the heads are basicaly the same except for the combustion chamber size, and the cam sensor is in a diferent spot. The LS6 is the same cubic inch as the LS1 (346) with a better intake, better heads, biger cam, more compression, better rodbolts, the rest is pretty much the same. Some of the 01 and 02 f-body's came with LS1's that had the LS6 intake on it.
The LS3 is a 6.2L engine (same stroke but even bigger bore), the heads have larger intake valves and the flow very well (they are what I run) but they will not fit on the LS1 block only because the bore is too small. The LS3 intake will not work on a LS1, LS2, or LS6. There is also a LS7, LS9, LQ4 and more. As far as nitrous goes on these engines stock, 150hp shot is not a problem for them. Do not think they will live forever with 150 shot, they all will eventualy crap out, but one is not any worst then the other as far as handling the shot.

If you are going to spray your LS? I would sugest getting a hold of one of the sponsors here and talking with them first. I see you are in Texas, there are several sponsors here located threw out Texas that can hook you up. I would advise finding one close to you that you can get your parts from AND bring your car to for tuning it afterwards.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks a lot texas ws6 , u answered all my questions lol ... yes from texas , and yes wanted to spray a 150 shot on it ... will talk to mike @ gforce on Thursday about it .. thanks again
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
The LS3 heads will not go on the LS1 block because the bore is too small. LS1 is a 346 cubic inch engine (5.7L), LS2 is the same engine with a larger bore giving it more cubic inches (6.0L), it also has a slightly diferent manifold and the heads are basicaly the same except for the combustion chamber size, and the cam sensor is in a diferent spot. The LS6 is the same cubic inch as the LS1 (346) with a better intake, better heads, biger cam, more compression, better rodbolts, the rest is pretty much the same. Some of the 01 and 02 f-body's came with LS1's that had the LS6 intake on it.
The LS3 is a 6.2L engine (same stroke but even bigger bore), the heads have larger intake valves and the flow very well (they are what I run) but they will not fit on the LS1 block only because the bore is too small. The LS3 intake will not work on a LS1, LS2, or LS6. There is also a LS7, LS9, LQ4 and more. As far as nitrous goes on these engines stock, 150hp shot is not a problem for them. Do not think they will live forever with 150 shot, they all will eventualy crap out, but one is not any worst then the other as far as handling the shot.

If you are going to spray your LS? I would sugest getting a hold of one of the sponsors here and talking with them first. I see you are in Texas, there are several sponsors here located threw out Texas that can hook you up. I would advise finding one close to you that you can get your parts from AND bring your car to for tuning it afterwards.

Great job of summing it up!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6

What he said lol. Also a little more info. LS7= 7.0 liter with dry sump and alot of high tech stuff. They are in a '06 and up Z06 vette. LS9 is from the ZR1 vette and it is a forged 6.2 liter s/c motor with dry sump. There is also an LSA from the new CTS-V's they are basically an LS9 with a few less ponies and small changes.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are what makes this a great forum
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
you guys are what makes this a great forum
a agree, i came over from the dark side. i used to drive cobras but am now also trying to learn as much as possible about the ls series.

Quick Reply: what are the difference?