Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TEA vs. TSP l92s.. help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TEA vs. TSP l92s.. help

what exactly are the differences with these heads? they are about the same price once you upgrade to dual valve springs on the prc's.

which heads do you think would make more power? i notice that at .600 they are almost identical.

looking to buy a setup very soon and want to make a good choice. i will be going with a fast 102 setup and 1 7/8 headers.

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr.../gmhead/gml92/

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your'e looking at a l92 head i would wait a few months. If you have the money trick flow has a ls3/l92 head coming out end of year. It will be a much stronger better flowing head then a stock ported unit and tea is working with trick flow on them. I have l92 heads now and they make great power at a lower price. However,i have been out pulled by cars with smaller trickflow 215 heads with less power them me. I feel this MAY be due to the big lazy valve of the l92 heads and trickflows better velocity. If you are looking into the l92 head from one of these companies i would use TEA. I have also heard great things about WHCC i think they are called.

Last edited by mike c.; 05-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike c.
If your'e looking at a l92 head i would wait a few months. If you have the money trick flow has a ls3/l92 head coming out end of year. It will be a much stronger better flowing head then a stock ported unit and tea is working with trick flow on them. I have l92 heads now and they make great power at a lower price. However,i have been out pulled by cars with smaller trickflow 215 heads with less power them me. I feel this MAY be due to the big lazy valve of the l92 heads and trickflows better velocity. If you are looking into the l92 head from one of these companies i would use TEA. I have also heard great things about WHCC i think they are called.
i had herd some talk about the l92's tfs were goin to be coming out with but im sure they will be well over 2g's and i dont have the money or the time to wait on them lol although i would love to have a set. as far as wcch , i looked at their flow numbers and TEA's stage 2 looked better from .200-.600 .... im no head guru so please fill me in. im here to learn and buy the best product for my set up. the tsp,TEA and wcch heads around around the same price.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Talk to Richard at WCCH (proheads.com). His Stage 2 and 3 L92's make amazing power with small cams...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...b-c-d-e-f.html
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Yes,they will be over 2g's. I will be adding a set as soon as they come out.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you kidding me?

First off the stage 1's from TEA blow the TSP ones out of the water. Are you even looking at the flow numbers? The TEA's outflow the TSP ones by almost 40 cfm! Here's a little hint on L92 heads.. they don't require much, if any material taken off the intake side. Pay closer attention to the exhaust.

That being said, flow numbers don't mean everything. There is a lot about a head's flow design that can't be measured on a flowbench. A good analogy is think of a flowbench as a dyno. Sure car "A" dyno'd more than car "B", but it doesn't necessarily mean it's faster.

I got my l92's ported at West Coast cylinder Heads, by Rich. I am very much happy with them.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Maybe something is just wrong with your setup because my 418LS3 repeatedly pulled my friends 440 that had TFS235's and made similar numbers through his automatic that I did through my 6-speed or maybe my heads were just special because I Pulled my friends 402LS3 car pretty hard.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

my buds 383ci made 500hp w/tfs 215 heads. I did 530hp same dyno. both m6 cars/12 bolts w/4.11's and he out pulled me in 4th gear from 70mph to 130mph by 1.5 cars. My car is about 100lbs heavier and before the vic jr intake/edelbrock low elbow where i gained power but lost tq. we were side by side on the l76 intake and i still had 20 more hp. If your going from a roll the m6 will come out on top vs an a4.
JSTRIB-what do you run n/a? I got 10.85 127.66 hitting the rev in two gears,then clutch went so i never got her dialed in.

Last edited by mike c.; 05-09-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

I will tell you what if trick flow comes out with an ls3 i will toss those Tea heads off in a minute....Man im excited now, i wish i had waited to put heads on my car now!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

my buds 383ci made 500hp w/tfs 215 heads. I did 530hp same dyno. both m6 cars/12 bolts w/4.11's and he out pulled me in 4th gear from 70mph to 130mph by 1.5 cars. My car is about 100lbs heavier and before the vic jr intake/edelbrock low elbow where i gained power but lost tq. we were side by side on the l76 intake and i still had 20 more hp. If your going from a roll the m6 will come out on top vs an a4.
JSTRIB-what do you run n/a? I got 10.85 127.66 hitting the rev in two gears,then clutch went so i never got her dialed in.
Never got a good run at the track.

The race against my buddies 440 was from a dig. I made 525 on street tires, he made 540 with the converter locked on tall MT ET Drag Radials. The best the 440 got at the track was a 10.4 @ 130 on a nitrous tune, nitrous converter and a nitrous cam.

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/o...=c5vsc5zo6.flv
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by danhr
are you kidding me?

First off the stage 1's from TEA blow the TSP ones out of the water. Are you even looking at the flow numbers? The TEA's outflow the TSP ones by almost 40 cfm! Here's a little hint on L92 heads.. they don't require much, if any material taken off the intake side. Pay closer attention to the exhaust.

That being said, flow numbers don't mean everything. There is a lot about a head's flow design that can't be measured on a flowbench. A good analogy is think of a flowbench as a dyno. Sure car "A" dyno'd more than car "B", but it doesn't necessarily mean it's faster.

I got my l92's ported at West Coast cylinder Heads, by Rich. I am very much happy with them.
go back and read my post. i was stating the wcch stage 2 vs the TEA stage 2
Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

TSP makes a great product but i am more set towards the TEA and WCCH.

do you think a lq4 with 11:1 and a set of either TEA or WCCH will put me over 500rwhp with the converter locked? i will have all the supporting mods.. pat g cam,1 7/8 headers, fast 102/102, usual bolt on's
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowlsx
go back and read my post. i was stating the wcch stage 2 vs the TEA stage 2
I read the title of the thread and your first post. It plainly states, TSP vs TEA
TSP makes a great product but i am more set towards the TEA and WCCH.

do you think a lq4 with 11:1 and a set of either TEA or WCCH will put me over 500rwhp with the converter locked? i will have all the supporting mods.. pat g cam,1 7/8 headers, fast 102/102, usual bolt on's
I would scratch the fast 102/102, and just run a ported ls3 intake/throttle body. I remember seeing someone do a dyno comparison on a h/c ls3, and the 102 only made 1-2 more PEAK rwhp than the ported intake.

Will you be using stock pistons? ptv clearance will be an issue if you are. If you have pistons with valve reliefs, 500 rwhp should be an easy mark. I would especially look into the WCCH stage 3's if you are running aftermarket pistons.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

what exactly are the differences with these heads? they are about the same price once you upgrade to dual valve springs on the prc's.

which heads do you think would make more power? i notice that at .600 they are almost identical.

looking to buy a setup very soon and want to make a good choice. i will be going with a fast 102 setup and 1 7/8 headers.

TSP doesn't require a core charge, while TEA does, which makes the TSP much cheaper.

that said, I own the TSP heads and am not happy with the overall performance. At this point, I don't know if it's because of the cam I have or not.....

I have a C5 with an LS3 conversion using eagle rods, mahle pistons. I bought the TSP heads, milled them to 65cc, and am using a 230/234 114 LSA cam. I have LG pros on the car with stock Ti catback. The LS3 intake is ported. I have a vortex ram air intake and volant air bridge.

Here is my dyno graph:

I'm going to try the G6X3 cam, if there is no appreciable improvement in power, the heads will be sold and I'll go another route.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andrew91GT
TSP doesn't require a core charge, while TEA does, which makes the TSP much cheaper.
Not really true.
TEA with core exchange: 1095
TEA with no core exchange: 1529
TSP with core exchange: 899
TSP with no core exchange: 1299

Only about a ~$215 difference. I wouldn't say that, that is TOO much price difference.

[QUOTE=Andrew91GT;13308795]that said, I own the TSP heads and am not happy with the overall performance. At this point, I don't know if it's because of the cam I have or not.....

I have a C5 with an LS3 conversion using eagle rods, mahle pistons. I bought the TSP heads, milled them to 65cc, and am using a 230/234 114 LSA cam. I have LG pros on the car with stock Ti catback. The LS3 intake is ported. I have a vortex ram air intake and volant air bridge.

blah blah blahQUOTE]

Honestly it looks like you have the wrong cam imho. What's the lift? GENERALLY SPEAKING (there are of course exceptions to this rule) you want atleast a 5-6* split between the intake and exhaust with these heads. The g6x3 would be a wise choice, especially since you have aftermarket pistons (with I assume valve reliefs).

Even though the TSP L92's are just the budget of budget cnc'ed L92's, you should still be putting out more power than that with a h/c ls3. Those are cam only numbers....
Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=danhr;13309198]Not really true.

Only about a ~$215 difference. I wouldn't say that, that is TOO much price difference.

that said, I own the TSP heads and am not happy with the overall performance. At this point, I don't know if it's because of the cam I have or not.....

blah blah blahQUOTE]

Honestly it looks like you have the wrong cam imho. What's the lift? GENERALLY SPEAKING (there are of course exceptions to this rule) you want atleast a 5-6* split between the intake and exhaust with these heads. The g6x3 would be a wise choice, especially since you have aftermarket pistons (with I assume valve reliefs).

Even though the TSP L92's are just the budget of budget cnc'ed L92's, you should still be putting out more power than that with a h/c ls3. Those are cam only numbers....
Maybe I read the TEA site wrong? The cam I have now is the spinmonster 230/234 XFI/XER cam, made ~500 rwhp in many cars.

The numbers I'm putting out now are BOLT ON numbers. Cam only cars make more than that....
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=danhr;13309198]Not really true.

blah blah blahQUOTE]

im not sure if you noticed but the TEA heads come with .650 springs for the price yo mentioned and the tsp heads come with bone stock springs and you haft to add 250 for the springs which brings it to 1550

TEA seems to be a much better head but i think i am going to stick with a cathedral port head and run the tfs 225 or 235's with my 370
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=slowlsx;13309447]
Originally Posted by danhr
Not really true.

im not sure if you noticed but the TEA heads come with .650 springs for the price yo mentioned and the tsp heads come with bone stock springs and you haft to add 250 for the springs which brings it to 1550

TEA seems to be a much better head but i think i am going to stick with a cathedral port head and run the tfs 225 or 235's with my 370
Wow, just went and looked at the numbers... I got my TSP heads with springs late last year for in the $1300ish range. I guess they have had a price increase.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Andrew91GT;13309534]

Wow, just went and looked at the numbers... I got my TSP heads with springs late last year for in the $1300ish range. I guess they have had a price increase.
yep, so it would be kind of stupid not to get the TEA's considering they will be the exact same price.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

or pay a couple hundred more and get a set of WCCH l92's

Quick Reply: TEA vs. TSP l92s.. help