Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need some help with my lsx 454 engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help with my lsx 454 engine.

I have a 454 LSX engine with ls1 style heads and ls6 intake. I want to get 6 bolt heads ls7 style and fast 102mm intake and throttle body. My question is how much other stuff will I have to buy to make it all work??

Will my fuel rails and injectors go right into the new intake? Will my headers bolt up the the new heads? Are the valve covers different??

If you can help me get a list together of what I need that would help me a lot!!

Here is a link to my current setup;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-they-way.html
Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd go with the GMPP LSX heads here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

and a FAST LSXR 102mm Intake Manifold – LS7 with their fuel rail kit.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

TSP has ls7 heads cheaper and they can help you with the intake.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel rails will not work. Valve covers should, depending on rocker arm and spring choice.
Headers will work no problem.

Do yourself a favor and change the cam as well. I would drop about 10 deg off the intake lobe. That is just my suggestion.

Good luck and glad to see that shortblock finally get the topend it deserves.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Fuel rails will not work. Valve covers should, depending on rocker arm and spring choice.
Headers will work no problem.

Do yourself a favor and change the cam as well. I would drop about 10 deg off the intake lobe. That is just my suggestion.

Good luck and glad to see that shortblock finally get the topend it deserves.
Why the cam change? Will it run better? Please Explain!
So if I go with a ls7 intake or the fast 102 it needs new fuel rails? What rails do I need? Will my current injectors work??

So I need;
Gaskets
Heads
Intake
Throttlebody
Fuel rails
Anything else??
Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Hotbird
Will my current injectors work??
L92,LS3,and LS7 intakes use a different injector then the typical LS1...
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
L92,LS3,and LS7 intakes use a different injector then the typical LS1...
I thought someone told me once that I needed ls7 style injectors and 8 wiring adapters to hook my current wiring to the new injectors. Dose that sound right??

Are the factory ls7 fuel rails that come with the fast intake from TSP good enough for my engine combo?

So I need;
Gaskets
Heads 6 bolt
Intake (fast 102mm)
Throttlebody (fast 102mm)
Fuel rails
Fuel injectors with wiring adapters
Anything else??

Last edited by 1Hotbird; 05-30-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought someone told me once that I needed ls7 style injectors and 8 wiring adapters to hook my current wiring to the new injectors. Dose that sound right??

Are the factory ls7 fuel rails that come with the fast intake from TSP good enough for my engine combo?
Yes...
Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

I had a set of rails on my factory ls7 intake that allowed me to run ls1 style injectors. I got them from Nasty Performance. I do not know if they would work on the fast 102 though. I did not need to buy the injector adaptors this way.

As far as the cam, ls7 heads typically need to run less intake duration than a catheral port head to make the same power.

What are your goals? You need to determine that and then get a custom cam designed to meet your goals. There is always more than one way to get there, it is up to you to decide what that is.

Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had a set of rails on my factory ls7 intake that allowed me to run ls1 style injectors. I got them from Nasty Performance. I do not know if they would work on the fast 102 though. I did not need to buy the injector adaptors this way.

As far as the cam, ls7 heads typically need to run less intake duration than a catheral port head to make the same power.

What are your goals? You need to determine that and then get a custom cam designed to meet your goals. There is always more than one way to get there, it is up to you to decide what that is.

I'm kind of at a loss I need someone (vendor) to work with me and so far the ones I have contacted just blew me off.

Good Luck!
Well at the time I built the short block I was working with MPH Motorsports (I don't think they are around anymore.) They designed this cam for me with the idea of using my current heads now and ls7 heads later. I think he wanted me to run 1.85 ratio rockers also with the ls7 heads?

How about the valve train do I need lifters, pushrods, rockers as well??

I will contact nasty performance and see about the fuel rails. Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

When you switch to the ls7 setup, you will need Pushrods and rockers. You can resuse your lifters if they are adequate. The factory ratio on the ls7 rockers is 1.8.

I understand about the cam being a dual purpose, but here is the thing about a compromise. Neither side truly wins. You will always give up something no matter which side you are on.
Honestly, for the amount of $$$ you are getting ready to throw at this thing, $400 is chump change and it can make the difference between a poor running motor and one that wporks perfectly.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you switch to the ls7 setup, you will need Pushrods and rockers. You can resuse your lifters if they are adequate. The factory ratio on the ls7 rockers is 1.8.

I understand about the cam being a dual purpose, but here is the thing about a compromise. Neither side truly wins. You will always give up something no matter which side you are on.
Honestly, for the amount of $$$ you are getting ready to throw at this thing, $400 is chump change and it can make the difference between a poor running motor and one that wporks perfectly.
OK The cam is something I will look into and discuss with my tuner!
Should I go with the factory ls7 rockers and push rods?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jontall
I'd go with the GMPP LSX heads here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

and a FAST LSXR 102mm Intake Manifold – LS7 with their fuel rail kit.
I'm sure the wcch heads are better but I don't have $4000 to spend on just the heads.

Any thoughts on the PI heads? I can get a pair of them for about $2900 with the hollow stems and spring kit ported also. or with stainless valves for $2700
Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't need the need the 6 bolt heads.

But if you must here a list off the top of my head.

ls7 heads
fast 102 with fuel rails
ls7 injectors or you can use ls1 style with spacers on the fast 102
injector harness (adapter)
I may be missing some things, but that basically the run down.

I would suggest and waiting a few weeks to get the new AFR 245s cathedral style heads. They are going to blow everything out of the water. You ask how I know this? Lets just say I have a friend that knows the guy that is making them lol. You don't hear much about them, but thats fine. As as they come out you will. HAHAHA

Good luck with your build.

I have a 454 LSX engine with ls1 style heads and ls6 intake. I want to get 6 bolt heads ls7 style and fast 102mm intake and throttle body. My question is how much other stuff will I have to buy to make it all work??

Will my fuel rails and injectors go right into the new intake? Will my headers bolt up the the new heads? Are the valve covers different??

If you can help me get a list together of what I need that would help me a lot!!

Here is a link to my current setup;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-they-way.html
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I don't need 6 bolt heads but I still want them!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know I don't need 6 bolt heads but I still want them!!!

I know the feeling. More of a cool factor lol

But if you change your mind, the new 245s will be insane.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

We have direct bolton fuel rails for the FAST 102 intake they are completely different from the LS7 rails. We also have them for short or tall inj.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

What do you want out of the motor?

Do you have a set budget?? You don't have to post the budget if you want, but it helps to have an idea of how much you want to spend.

As far as which head, different heads will be the best for differing goals. The best heads for a 625 rwhp car will not the best heads for a 550 rwhp build.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

What do you want out of the motor?

Do you have a set budget?? You don't have to post the budget if you want, but it helps to have an idea of how much you want to spend.

As far as which head, different heads will be the best for differing goals. The best heads for a 625 rwhp car will not the best heads for a 550 rwhp build.
Well I want a good 600-700 rwhp. I'll be happy with anything in that area. I'm more interested in getting the top end done right. I have all that money sitting in the bottom end of the motor only to have this cheep restricted top end on it.

Its a street driven car so it needs to run drive good with reliability, but have enough power to beat the car next to me!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

LOL, well ok. The first thing you need to buy a air to water cooler for your CC...haha

Honestly, the best advice I can give you for goals of that level is to call Shawn at Va Speed as far as sponsors on this board.Tell him what you want out of it and be prepared to write a nice fat check. I would let him have complete control of the heads/cam/valvetrain. You can do the rest of it, but I would leave all of that in the hands of one person. There are a couple others out there that could do a good job with it also, but they are not sponsors...

Quick Reply: Need some help with my lsx 454 engine.