Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ideas on increasing power without losing ANY torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ideas on increasing power without losing ANY torque

I am trying to think of some parts that would increase the power a wee bit and not lose any torque on the low end. I am pulling a hard vacuum @ WOT, something like 95 kPa so I know I can loosen up the restrictions without loosing low end, but what have we for ideas?

Right now I am 375 lb-ft. @ 2500 RPMs and the power peaks around 5500. I am thinking a FAST 90 with some 1 3/4 LTs with a merged Y pipe. I don't want to open it up too much so I don't decrease velocity to keep the stellar torque, just reduce the choke on the top end.

408, -8cc dish pistons, stock 799 heads, 0.045 Cometic gasket for 11.5:1, MS4 installed 2* retarded, LS2 chain, Melling high volume pump, Mac Mid Headers, LS6 intake, ported TB, stock MAF, MTI Lid.

What do you think?

Edit: I am not opposed to going inside the engine, open to all ideas/theories/suggestions

Last edited by 1SLwLS1; 07-30-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better intake, bigger MAF, better flowing heads and long tubes would be a good start.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, when I plan on matching the top end to the SB, I plan on doing lightly ported L92/LS3 heads with LS3 valves, FAST 102, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped to 2" with a flow merge y-pipe. At that point, I will probably ditch the MAF as I will beyond the 500+ power limit of the stock piece. Not sure if I would want to upgrade to a larger unit @ that point. I will talk with my tuner when the time comes and make an educated decision.

If I do all of that, I would figure that my low end torque would probably suffer a bit, move the peak higher and further down the range. So I am wondering if just a FAST 90 for cathedral ports, some cheap 1 3/4 LT's and properly built y pipe would only increase power, and not change the low end but for better.

Edit: Also maybe a quality ATI damner would help some.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

or some psig.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, well yes in a few years, I wouldn't mind putting some evil 78mm twins on the front, but that is a ways down the road and I would like to maximize this setup for N/A first, as with my goals, it will be a wee bit cheaper.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

A 3700 lb car isn't going to miss some low end torque. It is odd enough that that cam makes more torque than horsepower.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
A 3700 lb car isn't going to miss some low end torque. It is odd enough that that cam makes more torque than horsepower.
Huh?? Why not? In the realm of drag racing, 3700# is pretty heavy.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Huh?? Why not? In the realm of drag racing, 3700# is pretty heavy.
i agree
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

It will leave hard but you are giving up a lot on the big end. You should be much closer to 480-490 horsepower with a 408.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I am in the 3650 -3700 range so I know how heavy it is and yes I know it matters.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Its not that abnormal for a setup like that to make a ton of torque and be low on hp. Torque is created much lower in the rpm band with that cam than peak hp, the heads, intake and exhaust are choking the breathing up top so its no surprise that the hp numbers are less than stellar while torque is decent.

Id be looking into an intake, then maybe a set of PRC 2.5 5.3 heads if youre on a budget and want to keep your CR up where its at. Id also run a set of 1 7/8ths headers, they will increase your tq but with the addition of a better breathing top end you wont even notice any loss in tq. If I were a betting man Id say with the better top end and a larger primary header you would be over 500rwtq and up 70+hp.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What size cam?

Looks like to me and this is just going by your dyno graph.....

looks like someone advanced the sh*t out of your cam.... you have all of the symptoms of a cam either degree'd wrong or advanced too much.... I hope you were not an experiment or they took the time to install and degree it properly... But cam companies have been known to make mistakes too....

Look at your torque , it peaked around 3900 and the power just died off...
At 5500-5700 your motor was done.........

I have seen something like this before when a guy tried to do a 113 + 6 or 8 and when a cam was advanced and not installed correctly....
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I am surprise your car has such a low hp peak considering the cam size. Just looking at the graph, I would say cam up and add some 4.10 gears to deliver more torque to the rear wheels.

Ah, just saw where you said you were pulling a vacuum at higher RPM. Sounds like you need the new FAST set up.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Its not rocket science, 408 cubes trying to breathe through a straw(stock 799s, stock intake) and then having to exhale through a coffee stir stick(mid headers).
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will leave hard but you are giving up a lot on the big end. You should be much closer to 480-490 horsepower with a 408.
Should be, but I am being choked out, HARD!

I am in the 3650 -3700 range so I know how heavy it is and yes I know it matters.
I was just curious as you were saying loosing the torque wouldn't be anything in a 3700# car.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Its not that abnormal for a setup like that to make a ton of torque and be low on hp. Torque is created much lower in the rpm band with that cam than peak hp, the heads, intake and exhaust are choking the breathing up top so its no surprise that the hp numbers are less than stellar while torque is decent.

Id be looking into an intake, then maybe a set of PRC 2.5 5.3 heads if youre on a budget and want to keep your CR up where its at. Id also run a set of 1 7/8ths headers, they will increase your tq but with the addition of a better breathing top end you wont even notice any loss in tq. If I were a betting man Id say with the better top end and a larger primary header you would be over 500rwtq and up 70+hp.
For now, I will free up the intake and the exhaust, but heads, I will probably end up with some lightly massaged L92s with LS3 valves. I will get them milled down a bit to keep my compression up. My dish pistons have valve reliefs as well.

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
What size cam?

Looks like to me and this is just going by your dyno graph.....

looks like someone advanced the sh*t out of your cam.... you have all of the symptoms of a cam either degree'd wrong or advanced too much.... I hope you were not an experiment or they took the time to install and degree it properly... But cam companies have been known to make mistakes too....

Look at your torque , it peaked around 3900 and the power just died off...
At 5500-5700 your motor was done.........

I have seen something like this before when a guy tried to do a 113 + 6 or 8 and when a cam was advanced and not installed correctly....
WTF? Cam was installed 2* retarded...and degreed in by HKE. I verified it as I watched them degree it in. No one else is surprised at the power, I am trying to squeeze 100 lbs of **** in a 10 lb bag, it ain't gonna work right.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I am surprise your car has such a low hp peak considering the cam size. Just looking at the graph, I would say cam up and add some 4.10 gears to deliver more torque to the rear wheels.
Yea, but it can only attain that peak if it can maximize the relationship between velocity and flow. 4.10s are out of the question. The highest rear gear I will ever go will be 3.73. I don't want to get stuck in the 120 MPH range in 4th screaming across the line banging off of the limiter. This is of course with future mods. If I to end up going twin 78s or something, the 3.42s will stay.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I am trying to think of some parts that would I don't want to open it up too much so I don't decrease velocity to keep the stellar torque, just reduce the choke on the top end.

What do you think?
WTF exactly......

Just think about whats actually going on when you reach the peak

The exhaust stroke is unable to get as much exhaust gas out of the cylinder and some exhaust gas is left in when the intake valve opens, in excess of the normal left there.The cylinder has some residual exhaust gas in it, and can not accept the normal amount of fresh air/gas mixture. When the motor reaches a point where it fails to fill the cylinder with fresh air and is combined with the left over exhaust gas.... And the motors ability to excuvate the exhaust gas has diminished.......
the 1 3/4 headers would not choke your motor to 5500rpms...

With the cam retarded 2*, your power curve does not exhibit a cam that is retarded..... 111 to a 113 and your motor is done by 5500? Something is not right
Old 07-31-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
WTF exactly......

Just think about whats actually going on when you reach the peak

The exhaust stroke is unable to get as much exhaust gas out of the cylinder and some exhaust gas is left in when the intake valve opens, in excess of the normal left there.The cylinder has some residual exhaust gas in it, and can not accept the normal amount of fresh air/gas mixture. When the motor reaches a point where it fails to fill the cylinder with fresh air and is combined with the left over exhaust gas.... And the motors ability to excuvate the exhaust gas has diminished.......
the 1 3/4 headers would not choke your motor to 5500rpms...

With the cam retarded 2*, your power curve does not exhibit a cam that is retarded..... 111 to a 113 and your motor is done by 5500? Something is not right
What's not right is the fact that I actually put a stock LS6 intake, stock 799 heads, stock ported TB and mid length headers on a 408!!

You would be 100% correct with your notion if we had a comparison of my setup with straight up and 2* advanced. We don't though, and those items just cannot allow the 4.030 bore and 4.000 stroke to get the air it needs @ those RPMs. It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand that you are secure with your builder, but I am going to side on physics and you can interpret what you want bro......

The LS6 intake, and those heads and TB are not the quote on quote optimal for a 408ci motor for building top end power, but there would not be enough of a restriction to make your motor tap out at 5500rpms...... Those are tune related and timing events related........

1 3/4 headers are sufficient and the LS6 intake has worked on motors that have been turned up to 6000+ EASY......

Its rare to see a engine peak torque so early, and peak power so early...... without it being a camshaft timing issue involved... I think even if you bought all of the other stufff you will still be dissapointed.....
Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Alright keyboard warrior, besides the fact that I have years of experience with these engines, youre questioning one of THE top lsx engine builders in the world. Anyone with any experience in engines can see exactly what is going on.

Are your valve reliefs cut for L92 valves? Youre going to have to mill a good chunk off to get the CR where youre currently at...
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Alright keyboard warrior, besides the fact that I have years of experience with these engines, youre questioning one of THE top lsx engine builders in the world. Anyone with any experience in engines can see exactly what is going on.

Are your valve reliefs cut for L92 valves? Youre going to have to mill a good chunk off to get the CR where youre currently at...
If the above is all true, why is he here asking people he does not know what he needs to do to his engine.

Like everyone had stated, it needs to get more air in, 370 engines are making more horsepower and this one is revving like its a stock 6.0L truck engine.

Overall just a bad combination of parts.

Go find Kevins (WKMCD screen name) old thread about L92's on a 408 with 521 RWHP and great driveability.

Quick Reply: Ideas on increasing power without losing ANY torque