Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

440cid with turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440cid with turbo

I ordered a 440cid motor with 11.5:1 compression and now i'm thinking to add turbo kit for my car, what do you think about that?
I know the compression is high and i'm thinking to lower it by putting a thicker head gaskets since we dont have a proper shop to balance the cranck if i install new low compression pistons. Do you think its a good idea or not
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With that much compression you are going to have run very little boost on pump gas and you would have to step up on the fuel to run more boost. With the motor being a 440 the piston can't have much compression height and you would want a piston with a good compression height to run boost on. Here is a thread you can check out with some guys putting twin turbos on a 416 with 11 something compression and they are going to run it on e85.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-afr-225s.html
Old 09-03-2010, 03:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoeDenali
I ordered a 440cid motor with 11.5:1 compression and now i'm thinking to add turbo kit for my car, what do you think about that?
I know the compression is high and i'm thinking to lower it by putting a thicker head gaskets since we dont have a proper shop to balance the cranck if i install new low compression pistons. Do you think its a good idea or not
What size turbocharger? To have that engine operate with a full rpm band it would need a turbo system to flow 140lbs/min airflow, with that size engine.

Thicker head gasket will lower compression by only a small amount.

How much hp are trying to make?

how about running the engine N/A as I assume it was intended? Run a big cylinder head, make use of the 11.5:1 compression.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could run straight methanol and it would run badass
Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
With that much compression you are going to have run very little boost on pump gas and you would have to step up on the fuel to run more boost. With the motor being a 440 the piston can't have much compression height and you would want a piston with a good compression height to run boost on. Here is a thread you can check out with some guys putting twin turbos on a 416 with 11 something compression and they are going to run it on e85.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-afr-225s.html
I' runing 93 octan fuel and don't mind to run water methanol injection.
I called the builder and he suggest to change the pistons with lower compression and to balance the crank for that, the problem as i mentioned we don't have the proper shop to do that. thats why the thicker head gasket idea come on my mind.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AES Racing
What size turbocharger? To have that engine operate with a full rpm band it would need a turbo system to flow 140lbs/min airflow, with that size engine.

Thicker head gasket will lower compression by only a small amount.

How much hp are trying to make?

how about running the engine N/A as I assume it was intended? Run a big cylinder head, make use of the 11.5:1 compression.
Actually this engine is on my truck, and i clearly mentioned to the builder my target as i need a NA motor with 550 rwhp and i let the builder choice everything he though will take me to the level i want, when he finished the motor he took it to his friend shop and install it in a my new truck install the motor tune it and the result was way under my gool...490 @ wheels which is low i think with this size of motor.

when i received the truck it didn't seams to be at that range (490hp) and , i owned many trucks with same hp range and all of them were peroforme better than this truck. so i decide to go the other route and add FI to it.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you know the weight of the piston from the original build you might be able to find something low compression with the same weight. I have used pistons with heavy wrist pins to get the weight matched, then you could just install the new piston without balancing. Trend makes custom wrist pins and should be able to tailor the weight where you need it.

Kurt
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not going to have a good combination unless you rebuild it for boost. Might as well buy a balanced low compression rotating assembly with a shorter stroke and sell the big inch rotating assembly.

Quick Reply: 440cid with turbo