Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

trying a ls/lt1 hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking trying a ls/lt1 hybrid

hello forum, im not exactly sure where i should be with this question but im guessing i am in the right thread. i want to create a hybrid engine that would push out more power stocked than either engines. now here is what i have and an idea of what i am talking bout. i have a 96 caprice impala clone the engine is a 96 lt1. now i want to swap out the whole top end with ??? i want to know what will match up but be a better combination with more stocked power. now eventually i am going to do some upgrades to the engine but as of right now i am going to go bone stocked. here is my idea please feel free to let me know if this is a good idea bad idea if its worth doing or just a waste of my money or even what you think would be a better swap i am open to ALL ideas.
i want to keep my block from the 96 lt1 i want to swap the whole top end with maybe a ls1 ls2 or whatever can bolt right up i would prefer not to have to customize or fabricate anything in the engine bay unless i had to please all info will be greatly appreciated thanks and god bless
Old 11-06-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Nothing will bolt up, it is completely uncompatible.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 AM

wow really? that sux any ideas for my car another engine that might bolt right up with out me having to fabricate my mounts any engine as long as it has more horsepower
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a dick, But its bone STOCK not stocked. For whatever reason the repeating of stocked irritated me. One option you could look into is the MOTOWN engine block. The block will bolt right in with no mount modifications and accept LSX heads and components. The block also uses regular sbc rotating assemblies. You are still going to need to get a modified engine harness and run an LSX pcm. Fyi LSX means any gen 3-5 engine. Overall it would still be cheaper to modify the mounts though. You could aquire a good used engine for what that block would cost.

Nick

Last edited by formula17; 11-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 PM

formula17 i can appreciate the correction thanks and if i fabricated my mounts what engine should i go with i dont want to go with the ls1 because its only a few horses more and i would be paying a pretty penny i want raw power to the rear wheels i want to eventually take it to the track but again i want to use it as my daily driver when she's not spanking crunchstangs on the track (im a hardcore chevy fan) not a big fan of ford
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The base horsepower might be close for the lt1 and ls1, but there are endless possibilities with the ls based motor. Both were underrated from the factory, but the ls definitely has more power. The lt1 has the classic sound though and to some that is worth keeping because it is fun cruising around town.

Look around on the forum, you will see 427 ls cars, where as an lt1 can only bored safely to a 396. Look at the cam only ls cars versus the lt1 cars...there is not much comparison between the cars. Where as my car puts down 325 to the wheels with full boltons plus a small cam, a similiar ls car will put down around 400.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 AM

slingshot thanks i agree bout the sound the lt1 puts out i have basically from the cat back after market and it sounds GREAT i love it i usualy take the longer route to work just for the sound but i want power ima keep the lt1 so i guess my next question would ne where can i find some aftermarket parts for the top end of the lt1 and what should be the very first thing i should change out so far this is what i have as a direct bolt on in my lt1. i have cat back ram air intake and i am in the process of ordering a bigger throttlebody so after this what should i upgrade next?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newSSowner
hello forum...

i want to keep my block from the 96 lt1 i want to swap the whole top end with maybe a ls1 ls2 or whatever can bolt right up i would prefer not to have to customize or fabricate anything in the engine bay unless i had to please all info will be greatly appreciated thanks and god bless
:

It's better that you read more, and post less.

Last edited by crainholio; 11-08-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Launching!

I'm sure there are a few LT1 - LT4 forums with a lot more info about what you're trying to do...you might try searching/posting there.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
:

It's better that you read more, and post less.
Perfectly said, with the matching avatar and all.