Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Developed a miss on my 415 inch LS3.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Developed a miss on my 415 inch LS3.

So I was sitting at Taco Bell's drive-thru today, my truck was idling just fine and it was about 80* outside, water temp 180, all was good. I placed my order and then dropped it in drive, and it decided to drop a cylinder. Dead. So I went home let it cool off, and checked the compression. It went as follows:

1. 135
2. 138
3. 135
4. 130
5. 138
6. 137
7. 142
8. 134

Decided to go ahead and drop a fresh set of TR6's gapped at .030 in as well.

Fired it and I heard a rattling noise, the likes I have which I have never heard before.

It had no miss, until it got warm then the dead miss came back, but the noise quieted some.

It has had a slight lifter noise ever since I built the motor but nothing out of the ordinary to me.. They are LS7 lifters. And also since 200 miles ago, my warm oil pressure at idle has dropped from 37 to 30psi.

I've never turned the motor past 6700. Cam specs are: 232/244, .575/.595, 116+2, 6* overlap. Patriot .650 Gold springs

You guys have any suggestions?

-Robbie.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked your rocker arms? or pushrods?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT
Fired it and I heard a rattling noise, the likes I have which I have never heard before.
-Robbie.
Did it sound like it was coming from the bottom end of the motor or the top end?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
have you checked your rocker arms? or pushrods?
Headed out there to pull the valve covers right now.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by White Shadow
Did it sound like it was coming from the bottom end of the motor or the top end?
Honestly it sounded like top end, but I wanted to do a Compression test just to make sure.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't help you with the dropped cylinder issue, but I am curious as to why all your numbers are soooo low. They are fairly tight as a group, but you're giving up a lot of power because of the low numbers. I'm guessing your static compression ratio is 8.0:1 or lower. Each "point" of static compression ratio is worth 4%. Although, as-is that thing ought to be able to run on kerosene or lamp oil...
Old 05-08-2011, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like a spring broke
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Ok well the motor is built at 10.5:1 CR, and the reason the numbers are so low is because I did the test one spark plug at a time, anotherwords all spark plugs were in and tight except for the one I was working on. Sorry I failed to mention that or else the group would be around 165.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Checked all the springs and none were broke. I fear for the worst on cylinder number 4, because when rolling the motor over there was a definite squealing noise coming from it every time the exhaust valve opened. I honestly think one of the lifters failed What freaked me out even more is the fact that at the same time I had the valve squealing a noise a little puff of steam would come from somewhere I could not identify. I think that is what the rattling noise was, but it was more pronounced at a slow rpm with the valve cover off.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, you've got the worst luck with motors...
Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chriswtx
Man, you've got the worst luck with motors...
Well it was fun while it lasted I'm just gonna go smash my head into a wall a few dozen times and then I'll be all better.

The good news is that the up and down motion for the lift on the intake and exhaust is nice and smooth despite the noise so I'm praying like hell it didn't hurt the cam.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Just an update, I pulled the head off the suspect side of the engine, and pulled the lifters out. The lifter rollers themselves look very good, but I'm not really sure about the internal parts of them though. I have them and the buckets out right now if you guys would like pics or anything.

I spent a great deal of time cleaning and inspecting the head combustion chambers, intake ports, and exhaust ports for anything out of the ordinary, and found nothing.

I also extensively cleaned the tops of the pistons and did a visual and physical examination of the top of the pistons for cracks, dents, or anything else. Being forged pistons they came out shining just like brand new after I finished with them. Nada there.

I put each piston down to BDC and mic'd the holes and checked for scratches. Each had no variance whatsoever and there was no sign of broken ring land scratches, premature ring wear, etc. Each hole was clean as a whistle.

CNC-Motorsports built me a beautiful short block that's for sure.

I assumed it was lifters causing the problem miss and we went ahead and got a set of Lunati Link Bar Hi-RPM hydraulic roller lifters from SDPC. Expensive, MF's, but I see why they get all the money for them.

(Thanks SDPC for finally getting everything worked out. My dad and I are very appreciative.)

I already set the cleaned head back on that side and am going to head back out there in twenty minutes or so to torque the studs down on that side with the new Lunati's installed.

I'll then start on the other side and let you all know how it looks.

Let me know if you guys think there is more I should check.

-Robbie.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

This may sound like nothing, but something that I did not mention to anyone yet, is that when starting the engine cold, it takes approximately anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds to build oil pressure. When it builds it, it's 50 pounds, but on a few occasions it'd take so long that the "Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure" readout would go across the display and then it would build oil pressure and the readout would go away.

Main and rod bearings most likely don't do that, and I know that if there was a plug out of the block, it wouldn't build oil pressure like that. After the truck builds oil pressure it's good for the rest of the day, like jump in, fire up, and instant oil pressure. So would a bad lifter being pumped down due to spring pressure cause something like that?

Just a thought.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not qualified enough to tell you what your issue is but I DEF do not like that it takes that long to build pressure, something aint right even if its just the electronics acting goofy but then it should happen more than just at cold start up...hmm.
I was gunna say switch the lifters around and see if anything happens then but since you've got new ones, no point now.
hopefully you will figure it out and good thing it happened at idle and not WOT and the block is okay. Good luck dude.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you soak the lifters for a looong time? What preload did you use on those lifters ? Did you see if the oil pan sensor is ok? How about the oil sensor on the back of the block? Did you damage it when removing intake manifold?

Just my .02
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

I'd recheck the oilpump pickup o-ring. Get a BRPhotrpds girdle
Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by litle88
Did you soak the lifters for a looong time? What preload did you use on those lifters ? Did you see if the oil pan sensor is ok? How about the oil sensor on the back of the block? Did you damage it when removing intake manifold?

Just my .02
K got it all back together with the new lifters. No more missing! I'm starting to lean towards an electrical problem for the oil pressure. Even though it takes the gauge forever to build oil pressure when cold, on a cold fire with the valve covers off, oil positively spews all over the place from the pushrod holes instantly, and there is never a lifter rattle like of what happens with no oil pressure. The oil is super clean. Etc.

Thanks for the suggestion because no I HAVE NOT checked the sensor in the pan. What all does it do?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I'd recheck the oilpump pickup o-ring. Get a BRPhotrpds girdle
? A BRPhotrods what?

Quick Reply: Developed a miss on my 415 inch LS3.