Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need Help with engine build decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with engine build decision

I'm trying to decide on what to do about a short block for a build. I have 2 options, buy one from a vendor, or have one put together at my local machine shop. I will be providing heads, intake, cam, lifters, and pushrods.

This is for an iron 408 with LS3 top end.

Option #1.
I can buy an engine from a scrap yard, i found one recently for around $500 (LQ9 I think it was). If i do this I'll have the covers as well as heads and intake and accessories and accessory brackets to resale to recoup some money. I say this because I want to go with the F-body components for a little tighter packaging. I'll also have the wiring harness with this and maybe even the computer.

I think the cost was around $5500 from the machine shop. That's for all the machine work, forged internals, oil pump, timing set, break in oil, assembly, water pump.

Option #2
Buy a short block from a vendor such as Texas Speed. The price for the 408 is $3700. or $4000 for a 421. However, then I'm going to need the following.

Shipping Crate - $175
Shipping - ?
Valley Cover -
Front Cover -
Harness -
Valve Covers -
Coils -
Oil Pan -
Power steering bracket & pump -
AC brackets and compressor -
Alternator bracket and alternator -
All pulleys

Anybody have input on which option would be better off? Just trying to see how I would come out cheaper. I'm thinking I would end up cheaper by buying a core and having it built locally.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

In the end, It boils down to who do you feel more comfortable using to build the engine. TSP has years of experience, where as the builder you choose may only have a little bit of experience with LSx engines. Thats where TSP would be a better choice. IMHO.
Also, by the time you sell all your accessories, and etc from the 6.0l, you'll prolly only be ahead a little bit. I think in the end, the price is gonna be close either way you go, but the TSP engine would be built by a company who builds these engines on a regular basis and has proven time again, that they build Solid engines at budget prices. Just my .02 But I vote for TSP.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Have you looked at Scoggin-Dickey, they do strokers and might be able to do a deal on all of the brackets you need and shipping since they are a GM dealer (Usally dealer to dealer shipments are free), Remember you don't know what you are getting from the pick and pull until you pay to see.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Teching In

The SDPC strokers are all aluminum block based strokers with a good bit more cost, not to mention I hope surely I can find all my brackets without having to pay new cost!!

I agree with you that TSP definitely has more experience with LS engines than my local builder and that would be a +.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah but scoggin dickey is a great company to deal with too.
Them and Texas Speed both have been sponsors here for a long time, and both have Many engines out there making great power with good longevity.

I'd be happy with either company. I personally deal with TSP on a regular basis when ordering parts. Almost everything I get comes from them. I feel like if a company is putting forth the effort to REPEATEDLY test, tune, modify, and research and design products like TSP Does, Then I have no problem at all using them. I personally feel as though my money goes to something good. Rather than just someones pocket. It will also go to more R&D for future products. TSP has came a long way. I love them.

Either way, GL with whatever you decide man. Keep us posted.

James
Old 11-25-2011, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Get a short block from a vendor, AND buy a scrap yard engine. Take all the covers/accessories from scrap engine, and then sell the short/longblock thats left. Usually you can break even, and net a bunch of covers/accessories
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Teching In

That's not a bad idea to.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Block ..

A new lq9 block is very attractively priced...and will take no prisoners, couple that with a pair of thick deck heads so you have no limitations, or ls9, lsa heads. But by all means be sure you buy the connecting rods, rated to match the power level of your goals, then add an additional 100 hp or so, on the rods rating just to be on the safe side, factory should be good for 600 whp using ARP rod bolts.