Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

SDPC 427 L92 Stroker ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SDPC 427 L92 Stroker ??

I have spent the last year reading and speaking with various LSx engine builders and have narrowed it down to a few choices.
The SDPC 427 L92 stroker is one that is high on my list.

As such I'm looking to hear what those who have used these shortblocks have to say. I know there were some concerns with oil consumption with the earlier builds and I'm wondering if this is still the case?

Basically I'm looking for a reliable street 427 that will comfortably make 490 - 500 rwhp and good torque as well.

If you have this short block or have had experience with them, please post up. Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in, it's high on my list too. I have an L92 block waiting on something! My only concern would be the 4.1" stroke in the factory liners...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump. I'm sure the're people with first hand experience with these engines.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have any experience with that particular engine...but whats the price tag on it?

I ask bc I would thing if you get near the 12-15k dollar mark you might want to think about grabbing a hand built factory ls7 from GMPP and throw a cam in it...that would make your horsepower goals with ease, all while having a warranty and piece of mind that you have a 100k+ mile motor...plus you get all the race bred goodies like titanium rods and valves and everything else that comes with the ls7...

having said that have you checked with ATK...i was very impressed with the 408 they sponsered on Horsepower TV that made 575 crank horsepower...prices are coming down on 408 shortblocksbecause everyone is starting to sell them, thus driving the price down...which i like lol
Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in regards to that horsepower episode, did you listen to the cam specs they used? I was pretty confused on the head/cam combo they used and thought with the size cam they used, they were greatly reducing its potential with the heads...

to the OP, are you wanting the 427 just because its a 427 (haha) or for the sheer displacement? There are a decent amount of 402/408 motors that are putting 500 to the tires without going over board on the build. Those builds are also extremely durable and the lq4/9 shortblocks are a dime a dozen (over exaggeration) in chevy vehicles.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
to the OP, are you wanting the 427 just because its a 427 (haha) or for the sheer displacement?
More for the displacement but have been debating between their 427 and 416 Basically I want an engine that can comfortably make those numbers without resulting to a big cam. As such, I think taking advantage of displacement holds merit but educate me if I'm mistaken on that.

The iron block motors are out of the question. I'm trying lose weight on the car and an iron block wouldn't help much. The engine will be going in the DD car in my sig.

thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much difference really between the 416/427 as far as hp/tq are concerned the 427 will make a Lil more hp/tq but. Nothing spectacular. Both are strokers and will add to the TQ that the Ls3/92's put out. But since you want a long lasting combo then just get the 416 for its 4.0 stroke. Just my .02
Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting read i found
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-427-ls3.html
and
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...-or-427-a.html
both convos hit both engine builds nicely. from what I am seeing, the 427 seems the better build for NA and the 416 seems to be slightly more durable from the shorter stroke. seems that a lot of 416/427 builds are making just under 600 to the tires as long as the money is invested wisely into the heads. either way, good luck with your plans and keep us updated on your build
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm glad to hear that we are on your short list. If you have any questions please feel free let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.

We have many examples of both the 416 and the 427 meeting and exceeding your power goals, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Proper heads play a huge role in power output and more notably low end tq. Your goal is easily obtainable with a good set of rectangular port heads. Piston design has all but eliminated issues with oil consumption with the longer 427 stroke as well.

Honestly, there's not alot to say about deciding between the 416 and 427 because it will always come down to personal preference. Both are killer setups and make killer power. In my personal car I know I'll never employ a power adder over a small shot of nitrous and I'd run a 427 every time. I've just watched too many make killer power reliably to worry about the long stroke. With any sort of decent power adder I would run the 416. If you worry about long term reliability and the 416 makes you feel better, absolutely go that way because there's not enough power trade-off to justify stepping out of your comfort zone. Nothing feels better than peace of mind with such a big build.

We have been expanding the variety of shortblocks we keep in stock at all times to minimize the 4-6 week wait on custom builds.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Well I will chime in then. I have a 4.125 stroke ls3 with Wiseco's in it. It is in a jet boat though so I can't tell you mileage. As far as hrs go I am around 45 hrs. In jet boat terms that is an engine that is broken in and is through about 20% of it's life cycle for pleasure boating. So far all is good no issues whats so ever. I do agree than it really is as far as person should take it though and if I was going to go to ther trouble of sleeving it I would end up at a 441 or bigger. So in short no issues but it does look scary when you look and see how far the piston comes out of the hole.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a LS3 427 from SD. Got it back in Aug 2010. Im getting it retuned from a previous shop. Now it's putting out power than I originally posted before. Once I get the final numbers, I post them to show you OP.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I'm glad to hear that we are on your short list. If you have any questions please feel free let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.
SDPC thanks for chiming in. I will definately be getting in touch. Long term reliability, part of which includes street manners, is more important than the peak numbers so the 416 might be in my future.

Originally Posted by allblowdup
Well I will chime in then. I have a 4.125 stroke ls3 with Wiseco's in it.
Originally Posted by CETAWS6
I have a LS3 427 from SD. Got it back in Aug 2010. Im getting it retuned from a previous shop. Now it's putting out power than I originally posted before. Once I get the final numbers, I post them to show you OP.
Thanks for the comments fellas.
CETAWS6, I have read your build thread and numbers are quite impressive
Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. I should be getting the final numbers soon...
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
in regards to that horsepower episode, did you listen to the cam specs they used? I was pretty confused on the head/cam combo they used and thought with the size cam they used, they were greatly reducing its potential with the heads...

to the OP, are you wanting the 427 just because its a 427 (haha) or for the sheer displacement? There are a decent amount of 402/408 motors that are putting 500 to the tires without going over board on the build. Those builds are also extremely durable and the lq4/9 shortblocks are a dime a dozen (over exaggeration) in chevy vehicles.

We did not spec the camshaft, Crane did. All the parts used were donated by vendors so you have to work with what you get. All we did was build the engine and made sure everything worked good together properly/dyno tested the engine and than disassembled the engine so they can put it back together on the show. The heads in our opinion were wrong for the application, it needs some ported L92's on there that can accomodate a larger bore. Being that the heads were donated there were some Brodix, USED L92s and another set that came through and these were new and the best fit for the application so we went with them.

We are currently building a similar engine OUR way with ported L92's and expect to hit over 600HP with the proper parts This will be a recipie build for us once we get it worked out.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

I too am interested. An el toro 427 may be in order provided durability isnt an issue with the longer stroke.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Launching!

I have a RED Darton sleeved LS2 ready to go into my 67 Nova. Dollar for dollar I did many hours of research and it seems to be the best.

4" stroke by 4.125 bore. The Darton sleeves are stronger than stock LS7.

I liked the 4" stroke. Studded the bottom end. Had RED dowell the main caps.

Should be very stable lower end.

Manley rotating assembly.

LS3 heads with a slight port and LS3 intake. I can upgrade a I can.

No plans for power adders.

With machining less than $8000 with very carefull parts shopping.

Not cheap but what is?

Quick Reply: SDPC 427 L92 Stroker ??