Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Broken Tella Terra... Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this site used to have some pretty knowledgeable people on there... But it seems like here lately there is a lot of internet know it all idiots. Nothing surprises me anymore lol
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by The1N_only
FYI you can not run a solid set up on a non adjustable rocker... There would be no way to adjust lash
You actually can, and I've heard of some guys doing it, it's just not something the average car guy would/could/should do.

BTW, have you looked up your build sheet yet? I'm curious what your installed height was since you said you had to shim the springs.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

weird ****.

did this happen a while after putting it together? with those morel tie-bar lifters, its very easy to not seat the pushrod properly.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
You actually can, and I've heard of some guys doing it, it's just not something the average car guy would/could/should do.

Different thickness lash caps right? Or do you know another way? I'm pretty sure this is how the engines are set up in NASCAR's cup engines now days, using a non-adjustable rocker to take the weight of the tool steel adjusters out of the valvetrain.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by driver56
Different thickness lash caps right? Or do you know another way? I'm pretty sure this is how the engines are set up in NASCAR's cup engines now days, using a non-adjustable rocker to take the weight of the tool steel adjusters out of the valvetrain.
Bingo. I understand the rollers tips have been done away with in some engines as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Negative, It is custom Cam Motion ground on some of their milder soild roller lobes. FYI they are about on par with Comps LSL just a little more aggressive off the seat.
pretty sweet. I was being a smart *** though lol. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Installed height was 1.810 @ 150lbs and open was 480lbs
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Yella Terra are rated to ~400 lbs open spring pressure. You may want to check to see where your customer set up is at.

Also, if you have valve float, spring pressure can really spike up, so you want to avoid over reving your motor.

Lastly, I've had no problem with my YT with about 20,000 mile on a LPE GT11 cam with .631/.644 lift. I had the Patriot Gold springs checked out and they were right on spec, too.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dogsballs
weird ****.

did this happen a while after putting it together? with those morel tie-bar lifters, its very easy to not seat the pushrod properly.
that was not the issue I promise. There was no lifter or push rod damage.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KCS

BTW, have you looked up your build sheet yet? I'm curious what your installed height was since you said you had to shim the springs.
You would be correct... but my statement applies to 99.9% of the people on the forum.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are good ones to buy?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mez
Yella Terra are rated to ~400 lbs open spring pressure. You may want to check to see where your customer set up is at.

Also, if you have valve float, spring pressure can really spike up, so you want to avoid over reving your motor.

Lastly, I've had no problem with my YT with about 20,000 mile on a LPE GT11 cam with .631/.644 lift. I had the Patriot Gold springs checked out and they were right on spec, too.
I just double checked their website and there is no reference as to how much spring pressure they are rated at. Do you have documentation to back that statement up?

There was no valve float or over rev condition. I was data logging and the motor never saw more then 4000 rpm and that was over an hour of driving. I was dialing in the VVE. If you look closely at the picture, the rocker snapped.... and quite quickly...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you got a set from the "bad batch" that were sold/installed back in spring/summer/fall/ '09. I have a friend that had an '02 Z06, bought them in May, and broke an intake one in Sept. w/ @ 3K on them. There were a few others on the Vette and GTO forums that had the same problems. YT stepped up and replaced them IIRC. Maybe try contacting them and see what they say.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Me and my wife went to get some dinner this evening and on our way home I heard a familiar ticking sound. I pulled the valve cover when I got home and found a rocker arm broke. This makes 2 broken Intake rockers and 1 cracked exhaust rocker.

Is anyone else having bad luck with these rockers?
I just double checked their website and there is no reference as to how much spring pressure they are rated at. Do you have documentation to back that statement up?

There was no valve float or over rev condition. I was data logging and the motor never saw more then 4000 rpm and that was over an hour of driving. I was dialing in the VVE. If you look closely at the picture, the rocker snapped.... and quite quickly...
So you went to dinner with the wife and was data logging the car in the process? She must be a good sport! I can't touch nothing mechanical when I'm with the wife. I have to do it on my own time.

Here is an article that is dated 1-31-2011 and at the bottom is the rep from Yella Terra and it states what rockers are rated for what spring pressures.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...cker_arms.aspx

Last edited by 87silverbullet; 03-05-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

I have an email from YT directly to me stating that they don't recommend open spring pressure exceeding 425 lbs and recommend keeping it below 400 lbs.

Per my calculation, the Patriot Gold springs in my car are about 380 lbs open, so I am well within spec. My friend that broke his YT had springs rated at about the same, so YT came to the conclusion that when he hit the fuel cut off at 7000 rpm, there was valve float and the rocker arm experience almost 500 lbs. Makes sense to me. We reset his fuel cut off to 6500 rpm and he has no issues since then. No reason to go to 7000 rpm on his build.

You may also want to look at the total valve train mass.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....... I broke one yesterday after I picked my car up from the shop. I might have driven all of five miles. I'm at .602/.612 with the cam and comp 926 springs. Springs might be a little much for the rockers I guess. I went back to the stock rockers.... no issues. If I do another set of rockers it'll be a full shaft (Comp or T&D).

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 03-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
Well....... I broke one yesterday after I picked my car up from the shop. I might have driven all of five miles. I'm at .602/.612 with the cam and comp 926 springs. Springs might be a little much for the rockers I guess. I went back to the stock rockers.... no issues. If I do another set of rockers it'll be a full shaft (Comp or T&D).
It all depends on the installed height. Springs installed on aftermarket heads, aftermarket valves, cams, etc. can present a much different spring rate than the charts. Gotta measure.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say for certain that they were installed correctly. I depended on my shop to do it and they may have screwed up..... happens. That said, they do this for a living and recommended the product so I have to assume they know what they're doing. At any rate, I picked up the rocker arms yesterday and it turns out that one of the mounting bolts snapped in two. The rocker looks fine. I am trying to contact YT and, at a minimum, get 2 replacement bolts and 2 replacement pedestals. I'd really like a brand new set so I can exchange them for something a little more robust. If I only get the bolts and pedestals I'll sell these for 200 bucks and be done with it... lesson learned.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
I can't say for certain that they were installed correctly. I depended on my shop to do it and they may have screwed up..... happens. That said, they do this for a living and recommended the product so I have to assume they know what they're doing. At any rate, I picked up the rocker arms yesterday and it turns out that one of the mounting bolts snapped in two. The rocker looks fine. I am trying to contact YT and, at a minimum, get 2 replacement bolts and 2 replacement pedestals. I'd really like a brand new set so I can exchange them for something a little more robust. If I only get the bolts and pedestals I'll sell these for 200 bucks and be done with it... lesson learned.
I don't know the guys at your shop, but have seen a lot of stupid stuff over the years. Don't assume anything. The bolts are not anything special. You can get a replacement bolts at Lowe's, Home Depot or an auto parts store.

If I can do it, then I do it myself. Installation of roller rocker arms are a bolt on operation so anybody with some mechanical ability can do it.

Last edited by Mez; 03-15-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Well, I had one break today. # 6 intake. Got on it pretty good today a number of times and it broke. Think it was a combination of rev to 600 rpm fuel cut off and Patriot Gold springs with 27,000 miles on my Lingenfelter GT-11 cam which has .631"/.644" lift. Probably got some valve float which can spike the open pressure.

Ordering a new set Tuesdayand installing a set of Patriot Extreme springs.

Quick Reply: Broken Tella Terra... Again