Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Looking for LS1 Experts

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for LS1 Experts

Need help from Ls1 experts. Her is my problem. I have a 98 Z28 Camaro that has a starting issue. About 3 months ago the car starting having starting issues. It would start and when you turn it off it wouldn't start or my start. When it wouldn't start I would just here a click sound. I have been reading on LS1 tec site and many others to find solution. Here is a list of the things I have tried.
1: I had the starter checked out "It was fine"
2: I had the battery checked out "It was fine"
3: I checked the starter and Ignition relays and replaced them "They are fine"
I currently have the starter relay out and have it hot wired to bypass the relay.
4: I have bypassed the ignition resistor "thinking there was a problem with the ignition switch and key.
5: I bought a vats bypass kit and have bypassed the fuel signal from the bcm to the computer.
I was still having the starting issue after all this. The funny thing is I can disconnect the ground cable from battery, tap it a few times on battery, reconnect it and the car will start maybe a half dozen times the do the clicking thing again. I thought maybe there could be a bad place on the starter and when it got to that place it wouldn't start. Well I replaced the starter today and guess what, it started a few times and then did the clicking thing again. I am learning a lot in the mean time, but its frustrating not to be able to drive your car. Any Help would be much appreciated. TKs
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to find a local mechanic.

Beyond that, this post has nothing to do with a GenIV engine, nor the internals of any engine
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Well I was thinking that someone has had this problem before and would be able to shed some light. I have read some similar issues on this site. Trying to do this myself. tks
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace your starter relay,
and check the wiring going from the relay to the solenoid on the starter. What can happen and I've experienced it with starters on boats is if the solenoid on the starter does not get full power it can burn out and fail. That is the clicking noise you hear- the solenoid on the starter. That solenoid is an electromagnetic and when powered there is a plunger that moves against a spring inside then makes the electrical contact to spin the starter. You're hearing the solenoid fail or not get enough power, and the plunger is not moving far enough to make the connection to power the starter motor. The solenoid generally is not a replaceable part, so you don't want it clicking often and burning out and failing completely because then you need a new starter. When they bench test a starter, all their electrical connections are good and they don't use relays like your car does. so replace any and all starter relays, or slave solenoids, and check the wiring from the fusebox all the way through to the starter solenoid. if the starter bench tested ok then it's solenoid is probably still good, it's your starter relay in the fusebox failing and not providing full power to the solenoid. starter relays are around $20 from the parts store.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Also make sure to remove and clean all the battery connections meaning the ground to the block also. Usually forget that one.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Teching In

TKs. I have replaced the the starter relay and still get the same problem. I have hot wired the starter relay for now removing the relay out of the picture. I will check the wiring from fuse box and check ground to block and let you guys know. I have to work this weekend so I wont be able to check until Tuesday. Is there a signal sent from vats that tells the starter to start and if that signal is not correct then it would just click at you and if so could you not just bypass that to see if that's the problem. Just curious. TKs
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bartrman
TKs. I have replaced the the starter relay and still get the same problem. I have hot wired the starter relay for now removing the relay out of the picture. I will check the wiring from fuse box and check ground to block and let you guys know. I have to work this weekend so I wont be able to check until Tuesday. Is there a signal sent from vats that tells the starter to start and if that signal is not correct then it would just click at you and if so could you not just bypass that to see if that's the problem. Just curious. TKs
VATS is not going to make the the starter just click and not turn over. It wasn't designed to do that. VATS cuts fuel and spark.

You have power getting to the solenoid on the starter due to the clicking, somehow its not getting the secondary power it needs. I have seen many GM vehicles that have had the positive battery cable loose on the starter and do the same thing you describe, especially the 96-99 5.7 vortec motors. Check the negative cable coming from the battery and make sure it is good, clean, and tight.

Seeing that the posivtive cable is a straight forward thing, I am leaning towards a grounding issue. Sometimes you have to think out of the box and I have ran an extra wire from the neg of battery straight to one of the starter bolts that holds the starter on and it cured the issue. Hope this post helps.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Tks. I will sure try this and see if it works. I will let you know. It won't be until Tuesday until i can try. Tks for everybody's input and help.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Wanted to say thanks to all. I connected another cable from battery to starter bolt like "87silverbullet" member suggested and it has started every since. Tks again.

Last edited by bartrman; 06-06-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for LS1 Experts