Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New Cam recommendations?(current cam 262/266) 434ci stroker TFS245s..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured Brian would say something once I chimed in and mentioned him , along with my heads, cam, and intake package from him. :-)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just another thought if you want more braking power you may be able to shoehorn a hydroboost setup in there. I dont know what accessories/belt setup your using but you can find them on truck setups, the power steering makes brake pressure so your manifold vacuum doesnt matter any more. Worth a thought at least if braking is your only complaint of low idle vacuum
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

If the only issue were lack of brakes this might be the easiest solution - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-5200/, but I think the bigger issue is making a more useable power band which he's addressing with a cam change.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did some of you guys miss my reply on the first page of this thread? The OP is getting drug by a C6 Z06 making 540rwhp and the Z is heavier to boot....I attached a link showing a 440 LS7 and what the powerband looks like with a camshaft VERY similar to the one in question..... While I agree this camshaft is obviously on the larger side of things, it is not "humongous" for 434 cubic inches....

That being said, we have agreed to exchange the camshaft for the OP to ensure he is completely satisfied with his camshaft selection. The new cam is on the way. I dont see it making anymore power and/or fixing his braking issue, but we will see soon enough.

See Link for complete details
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-complete.html

Dyno Graph

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

If the OP is concerned about his brakes being bad due to the lack of vacume wouldn't a simple vacume tank solve his braking issue?
I run a vacume tank in my offroader just to make sure I have vacume for the brakes when i need it and it has worked very well, I have had no brake problems since its install however I did have some brake issues before it was installed.

Last edited by gouldy; 09-05-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Thats some excellent customer service from Ron at Vengeance. Way to go big guy... Glad to know there are still shops out there who care about customer satisfaction as well as a tarnished name.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
Thats some excellent customer service from Ron at Vengeance. Way to go big guy... Glad to know there are still shops out there who care about customer satisfaction as well as a tarnished name.
I couldn't agree more, Ron went out of his way over a set of injectors for me when we found out the ones I order were back order. Went above and beyond, I think reputation is really important to the crew over there at Vengeance. VRD and Speed Inc have both blown me away at their willingness to help when things go awry.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Thats great man.... I have never personally dealt with VRD But I almost purchased a 454 LSX With TFS 245's from them but ended up just going the ERL route bc of the weight savings over the lsx block. But Ron was very helpful when I talked to him. SPEED Inc. has never let me down either.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who built the engine?
There's always the chance the camshaft was manufactured with an error in the specs.
My personal opinion is that the engine is overcammed, but as Ron posted above the current cam is not obscene by any means. It should still pull braking vacuum no doubt about it.

Unless this has already been checked out, something as simple as the ICL off by a few degrees will kill vacuum and power while not really affecting the idle. The compression numbers don't really support this argument however, 180ish across the board is about what I'd expect with that intake closing angle. I'd still spend an evening checking it out if it were mine before I removed it just to know for sure.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Had a 427 in my car. Ran faster with a 242 cam than with a 251 cam. Don't know why most people over cam motors.
And that's the million dollar question. I always thought it best to use the smallest cam possible that will get the job done. I run a 234-242 in my Stage 3 WCCH L92 headed 427 and it makes great average power and superb drivability. That's what I wanted in my car.. Different animal the those heads but that is one BIG cam the OP is now running. Take up Ron's offer and get a cam you'll be happier with. As far as power ????? Maybe it is ground wrong. Was it degreed in?

Number in sig are SAE and smoothing 5.

Last edited by WKMCD; 09-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
I dont see it making anymore power and/or fixing his braking issue, but we will see soon enough.

Unless the cam was ground wrong..or its too big (regardless of what your dynos show)..theres absolutely no reason my car should be idling 86-90kpa (basically 0 vacuum) especially since WOT is 98kpa...not to mention I have no brakes when coming to a stop.(14" f/r slotted with stainless lines) My brothers Vette has a cam in the 24x/25x range and his idle is 53-56kpa and when you remove a vacuum line it jumps up to 60-62. When I remove my brake booster hose from the intake the vacuum doesn't change at all...this means either something is leaking SEVERELY or the cam isn't working properly..I have tried 2 Fast 102mm intakes 1 stock intake...every vacuum source capped..with 0 change. I have done a compression and a leak down test both of which showed my engine is strong. Can you or someone else explain to me what else would cause almost no vacuum at idle or coasting..(when coasting its 78-80kpa). I have also swapped coils, plugs, wires, maf,even rechecked (2 times) my pushrod length to make sure the valves weren't stuck open. My friend has a 402 with a cam from you guys and it runs absolutely perfect.

On top of the vacuum issue is the power issue. This car literally feels like its driving through MUD under 4k rpms....and after that it picks up very nice but I shift almost as soon as I feel the power coming in. I have literally checked and rechecked every part of this engine....so im pretty much out of ideas. There is no reason why my setup weighing less with what im running shouldn't absolutely rock my brothers car. Unfortunately our dyno isn't here yet..but I can assure you my car is not making anywhere near 550whp let alone 600. If this new 247/252 can make near 550..and drive better mid range ill be more than happy. This setup running properly should get my car into the 9s.

P.S The customer service so far with Vengeance has been great. I plan on doing more business with them in the future. I appreciate swapping cams.

Last edited by Snyper; 09-08-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Snyper
Unless the cam was ground wrong..or its too big (regardless of what your dynos show)..theres absolutely no reason my car should be idling 86-90kpa (basically 0 vacuum) especially since WOT is 98kpa...not to mention I have no brakes when coming to a stop.(14" f/r slotted with stainless lines) My brothers Vette has a cam in the 24x/25x range and his idle is 53-56kpa and when you remove a vacuum line it jumps up to 60-62. When I remove my brake booster hose from the intake the vacuum doesn't change at all...this means either something is leaking SEVERELY or the cam isn't working properly..I have tried 2 Fast 102mm intakes 1 stock intake...every vacuum source capped..with 0 change. I have done a compression and a leak down test both of which showed my engine is strong. Can you or someone else explain to me what else would cause almost no vacuum at idle or coasting..(when coasting its 78-80kpa). I have also swapped coils, plugs, wires, maf,even rechecked (2 times) my pushrod length to make sure the valves weren't stuck open. My friend has a 402 with a cam from you guys and it runs absolutely perfect.

On top of the vacuum issue is the power issue. This car literally feels like its driving through MUD under 4k rpms....and after that it picks up very nice but I shift almost as soon as I feel the power coming in. I have literally checked and rechecked every part of this engine....so im pretty much out of ideas. There is no reason why my setup weighing less with what im running shouldn't absolutely rock my brothers car. Unfortunately our dyno isn't here yet..but I can assure you my car is not making anywhere near 550whp let alone 600. If this new 247/252 can make near 550..and drive better mid range ill be more than happy. This setup running properly should get my car into the 9s.

P.S The customer service so far with Vengeance has been great. I plan on doing more business with them in the future. I appreciate swapping cams.
It probably makes a lot of power, I guess just not where you want it.

What RPM are you shifting it at?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

6800-7000 max. With nitrous I'll be shifting around 6500.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

6800-7000 max. With nitrous I'll be shifting around 6500.
Just curious, why would you lower your shift point that much on nitrous?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Just curious, why would you lower your shift point that much on nitrous?
To keep the engine alive longer..haha
Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

****UPDATE****

Cam arrived today. I spent the evening installing and tuning it. It started up instantly and didn't stall...and this was on the old cams tune( the old cam would stall if you didn't give it a little gas) Idle KPA is now 66-69 as opposed to the 86+ that I was experiencing with the old cam.

I completely retuned the car (much easier with this time) and alls I can say is I am finally happy with my car. Not only does it feel like it picked up 100hp(too bad our dyno didn't come in time) but the car has brakes, NO LONG breaks up or bucks at the 2-3k range that no matter what I tried wouldn't go away, and finally feels like a monster. The power comes on instantly and at first I wasn't sure if the tires were spinning so easy because they were wet or what. This is a streetable cam. The old cam was literally dead under 4k.

After driving with this one Ive come to the conclusion that either A. The 262/266 cam should not be in a street car whatsoever, or B. The cam was ground wrong. The engine is ridiculously responsive and even sounds much better. The true test will be against my brothers car tomorrow. If everything goes well, ill finally be able to put some nitrous to this thing.

A+ to Ron@ Vengeance for your great customer service. I appreciate the cam swap and Im finally happy with my setup. =)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Just throwing my thoughts out there as my car is the one in the dyno sheet Ron posted.

Dynos aside, that cam has been in my car for five years now. I didn't have anything to do with the tuning so I can't speak about how difficult or easy that was or what went into it.
I can say that I've driven the car almost across the country, and to work on nice days, and just out and about having fun. It dosen't stall at lights or buck and surge. My wife has driven the car without problem. At least one member on here has ridden in the car (ALGWS6) and was suprised at how good the drivability was.
The car pulls hard everywhere in every gear. And on the bottle it's just ridiculous.

If I had known the specs of the cam I wouldn't have wanted to use it. I told Ron how I wanted to use the car and what my power goal was and this is what they came up with. If I wasn't happy with the car, the cam (or something) would have been changed. I completely agree that the customer service from Vengeance Racing is excellent.

I'm glad the OP is happy with his car now, and I hope it makes the power he's after where he wants it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

To keep the engine alive longer..haha
LOL I understand that
****UPDATE****

Cam arrived today. I spent the evening installing and tuning it. It started up instantly and didn't stall...and this was on the old cams tune( the old cam would stall if you didn't give it a little gas) Idle KPA is now 66-69 as opposed to the 86+ that I was experiencing with the old cam.

I completely retuned the car (much easier with this time) and alls I can say is I am finally happy with my car. Not only does it feel like it picked up 100hp(too bad our dyno didn't come in time) but the car has brakes, NO LONG breaks up or bucks at the 2-3k range that no matter what I tried wouldn't go away, and finally feels like a monster. The power comes on instantly and at first I wasn't sure if the tires were spinning so easy because they were wet or what. This is a streetable cam. The old cam was literally dead under 4k.

After driving with this one Ive come to the conclusion that either A. The 262/266 cam should not be in a street car whatsoever, or B. The cam was ground wrong. The engine is ridiculously responsive and even sounds much better. The true test will be against my brothers car tomorrow. If everything goes well, ill finally be able to put some nitrous to this thing.

A+ to Ron@ Vengeance for your great customer service. I appreciate the cam swap and Im finally happy with my setup. =)
Glad you're happy and have such great customer service from Ron, more every sponsor should be the same way.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MPM IV
Just throwing my thoughts out there as my car is the one in the dyno sheet Ron posted.

Dynos aside, that cam has been in my car for five years now. I didn't have anything to do with the tuning so I can't speak about how difficult or easy that was or what went into it.
I can say that I've driven the car almost across the country, and to work on nice days, and just out and about having fun. It dosen't stall at lights or buck and surge. My wife has driven the car without problem. At least one member on here has ridden in the car (ALGWS6) and was suprised at how good the drivability was.
The car pulls hard everywhere in every gear. And on the bottle it's just ridiculous.

If I had known the specs of the cam I wouldn't have wanted to use it. I told Ron how I wanted to use the car and what my power goal was and this is what they came up with. If I wasn't happy with the car, the cam (or something) would have been changed. I completely agree that the customer service from Vengeance Racing is excellent.

I'm glad the OP is happy with his car now, and I hope it makes the power he's after where he wants it.

If that is the case then the cam has to of been ground wrong because it was absolutely awful and I was about 5 minutes away from taking a deposit and parting my car out. This cam has brought new life into the car and has made it what I was hoping it would be in the first place.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Pulled my nitrous kit out of my closet and blew the dust off of it today. Im finally comfortable giving this engine what its been waiting for. =)

The nitrous and purge solenoids are in the brake box(mirroring the fuel solenoid inside the box. I wanted to get both in there but they just wouldnt fit.

Quick Reply: New Cam recommendations?(current cam 262/266) 434ci stroker TFS245s..