Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What cam and head work to do for stock daily driver LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam and head work to do for stock daily driver LS3?

I'm pulling my engine for a partial rebuild at 115k due to some bad rings and bearings. While I'm in there I figured I might do some small power mods. But I don't want to mess up the good stock manners of the car. Don't want a lopey idle. It's completely stock, and I probably won't even go as far as changing the exhaust or headers, except maybe to a z06 setup. I autocross.

So what cam is worth getting, if any?

If I'm getting the heads refreshed, what's worth putting in there for cheap? Springs? Rockers? Are new springs mandatory with the recommended cam?

Is it worth milling the head? Or am I just asking for trouble with geometry changes? Don't want to worry about piston to valve clearance issues, weird wear, etc.

I assume any one of these changes will require a tune?

What would you do? Again, I'm a very mild guy, I'm happy with the car as is, but if it's apart anyway, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth... It's gotta be cheap, effective, smooth, and pass emissions, or I'll skip it.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since this is a near stock rebuld I reccomend a good valve job with the heads surfaced just enough to get them true and flat. Choose your cam in advance because you will need springs. Send the springs to the machine shop with the heads so they can set them up on the heads and get the install heights and seat preasures correct. Talk to the vendors and cam gurus about what you want to do with the car and let them reccomend a spec cam or off the self grind. The last thing I would do on such a mild build is port the stock intake manifold and tune it. Then call it done and enjoy.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

I would at most do a valve job on the heads and mill them ~0.030". You won't run into any PTV issues with a smaller cam that won't have much if any overlap. As far as cam goes it will be determined by a few things like weight gearing desired powerband etc.

A good tune from there will help you realize the gains from the mods.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Any opinions on this TSP kit with the 225/230 114 lsa cam? Will it be smooth and pass emissions?

https://www.texas-speed.com/Shopping...roductID%3d249

Do I have any cheaper options?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steel_3d
Any opinions on this TSP kit with the 225/230 114 lsa cam? Will it be smooth and pass emissions?

Thanks
That would be a great mild cam for an LS3. If you wanted to go cheaper and keep it all GM you could go with a LS9 cam. You would probably pick up 20 or 30 HP with it and a good tune.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Do I get to keep my springs with the ls9? Did a little reading. It looks like the ls9 is the same as ls7 with a 122.5 instead of 120 lsa. Seems like I'd be better off with the ls7. Does it drop into the ls3? I guess I'd need longer pushrods at least because of the smaller base circle. Probably not an issue with the ls9 and it uses the same rocker ratio. but that's pretty wide lsa...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Teching In

What about staying with stock cam and just milling the head .030? Any drivability/torque/power gains?
Will the piston to valve clearance be ok? Do I need to worry about valvetrain geometry?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS9 cam uses the same springs as the LS3. You would need to get the proper three bolt cam gear for it though. The bump in compression might net you a little power but not much. Your PTV and valve train geometry would be fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tsp has a good selection of cams, so does martin at tick, and eps has some great stuff too.

Stock rockers with the trunion upgrade is perfect for you and economical.

Brian tooley has the best springs for $$ by far

As for heads, have a valve job done, maybe port the exhaust side some and mill according to ptv clearance
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you wanna keep it more of a factory legal emissions cam I would do the LS9 you can pick up good HP from it
Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definitely go with an LS7 or LS9 cam especially since you're planning on keeping the stock exhaust on there. Plus they're very cheap and work with the stock LS3 springs. I just saw an LS7 cam in the classifieds for like $85 brand new. Mill the heads as previously stated with a valvejob and call it good.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd consider this cam for mild idle and drivability. Agree w/others about fresh
valvejob and mill for compression. Trunion upgraded rockers and Tooley dual
spring kit. Geoff @ EPS can also suggest the correct pushrods.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...&productId=109
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
I'd consider this cam for mild idle and drivability. Agree w/others about fresh
valvejob and mill for compression. Trunion upgraded rockers and Tooley dual
spring kit. Geoff @ EPS can also suggest the correct pushrods.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...&productId=109
x2....
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked at Advanced Induction's offerings? A CNC port job along with one of their mild grinds would likely really wake up your LS3 and have great DD manners.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

IDK when you are actually doing this but GMPP is coming out with a CNC Ported LS3 head kit with an LS7 cam. Stuff should be available soon, if not already.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/High...50877C647.aspx
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you guys really think CNC porting would be worth it on a stock cube setup with an LS7/LS9 cam and stock exhaust...?!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks
thats a nice mild cam. I'd also maybe look at the lingenfelter cams if you want something mild.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming this is for a corvette?
And you live in The peoples republic of California?
And you must PASS emissions?

Then first of all leave the stock cam in because im not sure youll pass emissions with another cam even with another GM cam or an after market MILD cam, but get some new springs with titanium retainers, contact Brian Tooley and he'll set you up.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/spring-kits/
Keep your valvetrain light and you'll free up hp too.
Remember theres no such thing as cheap builds bud. Do it once and do it right or you'll pay twice.

Imho since you autox Invest in a good set of rings, some arp or katech rod bolts so they can be resized maybe even arp main studs as well. Some really good bearings for the whole motor and have the bearings coated to free up a Lil hp and will help wear less since autoxing creates lots of high oil temps. That's stuff for the machine shop with lots of experience with Lsx motors.
Since the heads are off milling won't be a bad idea neither will a good valve job.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Great LS3 cam comparison.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...n/viewall.html
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pulling my engine for a partial rebuild at 115k due to some bad rings and bearings. While I'm in there I figured I might do some small power mods. But I don't want to mess up the good stock manners of the car. Don't want a lopey idle. It's completely stock, and I probably won't even go as far as changing the exhaust or headers, except maybe to a z06 setup. I autocross.

So what cam is worth getting, if any?

If I'm getting the heads refreshed, what's worth putting in there for cheap? Springs? Rockers? Are new springs mandatory with the recommended cam?

Is it worth milling the head? Or am I just asking for trouble with geometry changes? Don't want to worry about piston to valve clearance issues, weird wear, etc.

I assume any one of these changes will require a tune?

What would you do? Again, I'm a very mild guy, I'm happy with the car as is, but if it's apart anyway, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth... It's gotta be cheap, effective, smooth, and pass emissions, or I'll skip it.

Thanks!
So what did you end up doing??????? I hate when people don't finish their threads. People use these threads to seek information just like you did! You received some very wise info from the members, but then insult the process by not stating what you did and what the results were, and if you did nothing, SAY SO, or don't post here anymore if you don't think those that took their time to respond to you and your questions are not worth the time or effort it takes to post your results!!!!!

Quick Reply: What cam and head work to do for stock daily driver LS3?