Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lost small oil pick up tube bolt, can I use generic hardware store bolt?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost small oil pick up tube bolt, can I use generic hardware store bolt?

I must have set the oil pump/pick up tube bolt aside during removal from my original engine and lost track of it, because I can't find it now. It's $6 and takes 4 business days to get through my local dealer, is it ok to just get a matching bolt from the hardware store and use some blue loctite? Torque spec is like 9 lb-ft, so it seems like it wouldn't matter as long as the length, head and pitch are the same.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I must have set the oil pump/pick up tube bolt aside during removal from my original engine and lost track of it, because I can't find it now. It's $6 and takes 4 business days to get through my local dealer, is it ok to just get a matching bolt from the hardware store and use some blue loctite? Torque spec is like 9 lb-ft, so it seems like it wouldn't matter as long as the length, head and pitch are the same.
Yep you will be fine with a bolt from the bin at Napa.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure, and you should grab one of those pickup tube girdles where you can have two bolts in it isntead of one.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
sure, and you should grab one of those pickup tube girdles where you can have two bolts in it isntead of one.
I'm looking to get things buttoned up pretty soon, not sure I want to order and wait on any parts... is there some flaw with the original design w/ 1 bolt that is fixed with the girdle? Or did they just make it since there's 2 bolt holes and they figured they may as well use both?

This one I assume?
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV6
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

yup thats it. its not a MUST but it can help from pinching that damned oring and maybe give it a bit tighter seal. i plan on picking one up.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
yup thats it. its not a MUST but it can help from pinching that damned oring and maybe give it a bit tighter seal. i plan on picking one up.
I've got the motor on a stand, so I should be able to get the o-ring situated ok. With a spec of 9 ft.lb I can't imagine it needs too much pressure to seal the o-ring. I'll probably skip it.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I've got the motor on a stand, so I should be able to get the o-ring situated ok. With a spec of 9 ft.lb I can't imagine it needs too much pressure to seal the o-ring. I'll probably skip it.
you'll be fine with the one-bolt setup, especially with the engine on the stand. apply plenty of lube and work it in slow.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
you'll be fine with the one-bolt setup, especially with the engine on the stand. apply plenty of lube and work it in slow.
Giggity
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait.... What?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Launching!

apply plenty of lube and work it in slow.
Might try a bottle of wine first, maybe a gift of some bling...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost small oil pick up tube bolt, can I use generic hardware store bolt?