Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lifters - Johnson or Morel or ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lifters - Johnson or Morel or ?

Building a new motor very soon. Contacted a builder and we will be working out some details in the near future.

I'll be doing a build thread once everything is confirmed.

At any rate, I'm thinking about some higher end lifters and am looking for feedback.

JOHNSON LINKBAR HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS 2116LSR

MOREL 5206 LS PRO SERIES HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS

What are the major differences between the 2 other than the $100 price? I've done some minimal research but details, specifically on the Johnsons, is a little bit vague.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 03-27-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a set of Johnson non-linkbar lifters. Everyone I talked to (pro's) said they were great. There really isn't any information on them online. They seem to have stayed under the RADAR pretty well. I'll be posting a short review of them once I get them in the car and running. Should be in a couple weeks.

The Morels you listed are more because of the larger diameter wheel. Most lifters that I've seen with the .750" wheel are around that price range. It is a stronger setup that reduces side loading in the lifter bore.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The larger roller diameter provides a lower pressure angle, which is a good thing for more aggressive cams...that is why I am going with the morels...except I am using the 5274's
Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys. Does Johnson make a .750 inch wheel lifter? Just curious, I have no issues going with the Morel 5206 or 5274.

**** Nevermind, they do not. I found it on their site****

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 03-27-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At the Johnson website the following explanation regarding oversize rollers is given:

We do not use oversize rollers because it requires the body of the lifter to utilize a “fork style” roller pocket. With a fork style lifter body the loads that the lifter sees tends to flex the ears of the lifter over and over. This stress causes the ears to become work hardened and will often fracture over time. We shroud all of our rollers because it helps to distribute the loads that are being applied upon the lifter.

I currently run Morel 5206s, but this and other information at the Johnson website merit a look.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnson has supplied lifters for factory cars over the years, I have a set of intermediate travel linkbars waiting to go in from the
Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darkman
At the Johnson website the following explanation regarding oversize rollers is given:

We do not use oversize rollers because it requires the body of the lifter to utilize a “fork style” roller pocket. With a fork style lifter body the loads that the lifter sees tends to flex the ears of the lifter over and over. This stress causes the ears to become work hardened and will often fracture over time. We shroud all of our rollers because it helps to distribute the loads that are being applied upon the lifter.

I currently run Morel 5206s, but this and other information at the Johnson website merit a look.
I read that and thought it interesting too. Would be curious if anybody has had a failure such as they describe.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The quote here about the pressure is technically correct but the difference that .025” change in the radius is very small. If you calculate the difference in the two wheel sizes on our lobe that is 224 at .050” and .370” lobe lift, which is about as aggressive of a hydraulic lobe we would recommend using on this engine, the maximum pressure angle for the .700” wheel is 22.36168 degrees and the same lobe with a .750” wheel is 22.79817 degrees. It is measurable but hard to say it is significant. The pressure angle is only one of the factors to use when choosing the best lifter for your build. The smaller wheel diameter allows the lifter to have a full round body all the way to the bottom of the lifter which allows for more surface contact with the lifter bore below the oil band and much more support for the axle. Also the axle is swedged to prevent them from spreading. The open forks required with .750” can sometime spread out. The aluminum blocks are not as hard as the iron blocks so I think the extra surface area would give you better support. We sell both Johnson and Morel.
Originally Posted by Briou
The larger roller diameter provides a lower pressure angle, which is a good thing for more aggressive cams...that is why I am going with the morels...except I am using the 5274's
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
.... Also the axle is swedged to prevent them from spreading. The open forks required with .750” can sometime spread out.
Kip,

Have you ever seen this happen? I'm just curious if this is a common problem.

MOREL 5290 LS LINK BAR HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS

Anybody running these? The design is more like the Johnson design. It has a .700 wheel and the axle is swedged.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
Kip,

Have you ever seen this happen? I'm just curious if this is a common problem.

MOREL 5290 LS LINK BAR HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS

Anybody running these? The design is more like the Johnson design. It has a .700 wheel and the axle is swedged.
It does happen not all of the time but mostly on high spring presses and higher lift cams.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Thanks. Got any thoughts on the 5290s.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5290's are ****, they broke in my set up
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. Got any thoughts on the 5290s.
The 5209 are fine but it depends on your combination. I asked our Morel sales person what is the MAX spring presser you would like to see on the 5209 / .700 wheel lifters? He said 130 on the seat 350 open. He said on the high end .750 wheel lifters 190 seat 400 open. I am sure there have been many users of these lifters that had more presses than these pressers I gave with out problems.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Specs for Comp 26926 .675 lift spring I am currently running.

Seat Load----------Open Load-----------Coil Bind----------Rate (Lbs./In.)
129 @ 1.835-------470 @ 1.160-----------1.100---------------505

Yikes. The open is brutal. 70 lbs over Morel's recommendation. I've got some things to think about.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes. The open is brutal. 70 lbs over Morel's recommendation. I've got some things to think about.
What rocker arms are you using with those springs?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know combinations that have 700 open with the Morel with no problem they are just trying to protect themselves. I would not worry about 470 open.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darkman
What rocker arms are you using with those springs?
Right now they're bone stock LS3 - no trunion upgrade and stock lifters. I'll be doing the trunions and the lifters and pushrods when the new motor goes in on June 1.

I'm trying to decide what lifters and whether or not to keep the 26926 springs. I'm leaning towards the Morel's and keeping the 26926 springs. However, I am going to a set of PRC heads (with the new motor) and they already have a set of BTR .660 springs. I've got a couple months to make a decision with Martin Smallwood and Jonathin Atkins (Tick Performance) making the final decision.

Anyway, back to the rockers. When I did the cam and springs (stock LS3 heads) one of the techs at the shop (not Tick) recommended a set of Yella Terras. So I bought them and had them installed with the cam. Put the car on the Dyno and it made 650 rwhp but, to me, it sounded like something broke on the passenger side cylinder head (loud click). The guys at the shop didn't think it was anything. So, I took the car and headed home. Mile down the road the click stops but now the motor is clearly running rough. I limp it back to the shop and it turns out to be a broken rocker arm bolt. Put the stockers back in and it's been fine ever since.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 03-29-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
I know combinations that have 700 open with the Morel with no problem they are just trying to protect themselves. I would not worry about 470 open.
Thanks Kip, that is reassuring.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 594 Likes on 472 Posts

WHat did the shop say? I hope they refunded your money from the YTs. Did anyone suggest cutting open the oil filter to look for anything?
Right now they're bone stock LS3 - no trunion upgrade and stock lifters. I'll be doing the trunions and the lifters and pushrods when the new motor goes in on June 1.

I'm trying to decide what lifters and whether or not to keep the 26926 springs. I'm leaning towards the Morel's and keeping the 26926 springs. However, I am going to a set of PRC heads (with the new motor) and they already have a set of BTR .660 springs. I've got a couple months to make a decision with Martin Smallwood and Jonathin Atkins (Tick Performance) making the final decision.

Anyway, back to the rockers. When I did the cam and springs (stock LS3 heads) one of the techs at the shop (not Tick) recommended a set of Yella Terras. So I bought them and had them installed with the cam. Put the car on the Dyno and it made 650 rwhp but, to me, it sounded like something broke on the passenger side cylinder head (loud click). The guys at the shop didn't think it was anything. So, I took the car and headed home. Mile down the road the click stops but now the motor is clearly running rough. I limp it back to the shop and it turns out to be a broken rocker arm bolt. Put the stockers back in and it's been fine ever since.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
WHat did the shop say? I hope they refunded your money from the YTs. Did anyone suggest cutting open the oil filter to look for anything?
They didn't say much but, of course, were apologetic. Nobody suggested looking at the oil filter....... just pulled off the YTs and put the stock ones back on. I do check the oil filter and drip pan after every oil change though. I guess I've changed it 4 to 5 times since that happened and haven't seen anything.

As far as a refund, I called YT and they sent me a bran new rocker arm with new bolt\stud. I then sold them to another LS1 tech member for $150. I ended up eating $300.

This was about 18 months ago....

FWIW, I've had them do some additional work since then. I think they're good people..... **** happens.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 03-30-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifters - Johnson or Morel or ?