Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anyone know what a used LSx 427 block is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone know what a used LSx 427 block is worth?

I am about to have my Thomson LSx 427 torn down to be re-built. I found some bearing in my oil and hoping it's just the thrust or mains. I am considering swapping the block out for an aluminum LS7 block and curious what my used block would be worth. If it all checks out with no issues of course... Looks like retail on the block is around $2500 and it seems this particular block is ideal for boosted motors as it's rate to like 2500hp or something silly.

I hope this is the right section to post this but if not, mods please feel free to tow where appropriate. TIA.

Last edited by SWAGON; 03-27-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump -- would love to hear some more info on this as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are atleast 3 versions of the LSX block so it would depend on which version it is. I wouldn't pay much for one of the older ones because they updated the blocks to fix issues. I rather have a newer block with all the issues fixed.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Launching!

How would I determine which one I have and what were the issues they had? Any links to threads on the issue?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Bump since my machine guy should have my diagnosis today or tomorrow and I want to know what my options are.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine used for $1,600. The older are the best ones their cylinder are better centered than the newer one made in China, is what the buss is, not my personal experience, the one I bought is the older one, I jumped on it like yesterday.

Your best option sense you already have the block is to keep it, put it back in for more, that's a great block only draw back is the weight but it's performance more than lift itself up in the air.
To my knowledge is the only GM block along with it's tall deck brother to come with priority main oiling.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Are they REALLY casting the LSx blocks in China? If so, was it always that way? WTF.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Mine was an older one. And was fine. The total build started to creep up so just sticking with the iron block. Here are some photos though.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Looks great...

A great piece, awesome foundation for power, having priority main oiling is a great insurance against worrying about the life of your engine, sense the oil is not only fed into the mains from the rear of the block (like all the rest of LS service blocks) "but" from the front as well, straight out the oil pump, so the mains are fed simultaneously from the front and the back of the block.

In the standard service LS blocks the oil travels true the oil channel on the driver side of the block to the rear, then U turns going back tours the front before is able to find the first individual rear main oil channel, the oil is now in the (oil gallery) then the next main, you guest it from the back, the front crankshaft main been lubricated last, although the oil pump is rite there in the front of the block!.

I must admit the LS service blocks work very well for what they are design, however in my never to be humble opinion, all LS blocks should have the extra lubrication afforded by priority main oiling, this could help to stop the familiar question (why did I spin a bearing?).

Farther I have observe the priority main oiling blocks idle much more relaxed than standard oiling service blocks even with much more compression in the face of adversity of high horse power applications, specially in the middle of a hot summer day driving around town.

To wrap up as why I say all these, I say to all those considering a new LSX block, don't be scare of the Chinese blocks, (even if) the cylinder bores are not as nicely aligned as the early US castings, those Chinese blocks are still hightly desirable in my opinion for obvious reasons.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The older ones look to have a lot more open decks.

Which wouldn't be as good for a big boosted motor.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick Reply: Anyone know what a used LSx 427 block is worth?