Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT delete without cam swap. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VVT delete without cam swap. Help please!

I need some help guys. I'm swapping the engine in my cousin's truck. His truck is an '08 w/ afm no but. The engine I got to put in it is a '12 w/ afm and vvt. I'm not looking to keep the vvt because this needs to be as simple as it can be. So no re-flash and wiring for vvt conversion. The new engine is a 50 mile take out, so no need to replace any parts. What needs to be done to delete the vvt? I tried the search but all results are doing a cam swap when removing vvt, so not really helping with my problem.

1. Can I just swap out his cam gear and front cover, using his vvt cam? From what I've read, the vvt cam is cored out and drilled to get oil to the cam phaser, so I'm guessing this is a no go.

2. Can I use his vvt cam with the vvt cam bolt to control the oil? If I use the non vvt cam gear and front cover, there won't be a solenoid to activate the valve on the vvt cam bolt. Will this work?

3. If I need to swap his non vvt cam, would you put a 133k cam in a basically brand new engine? Obviously I will inspect it before the install and if all looks good, I can go ahead.

4. I think both engines use 58x reluctor, is this correct?

Thanks for the help! Again, I tried the search function, so don't flame me, but all results for vvt delete were cam swaps also.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Somebody has to know.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Default Doing the same thing on my Silverado

Did you ever receive any info?
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Vvt pin

Hi Roger, the change is too simple, to do what he asked.

The VVT Motor has a pin that will open releasing the VVT Motor from PARK.
When there is NO signal to the VVT Actuator it will not release.

NOW for SAFETY, just "shim" the pin for NO TRAVEL inside the VVT Motor.

Then get a single timing chain, MY Avon Gear, AND the lower crankshaft sprocket (Avon Gear) with several key way positions will allow the cam timing you require.

Lance
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

The cam cores are different. youd have to swap the cams. the only "new" part youd want would be the ls2 timing chain tensioner. if it has the spring loaded one ditch it.
Youll need the other engines flat cam cover his cam gear and bolt and cam of course...also check the oil pump. if its georotor you are ok but if its vane styl youll need the georotor pump.

Thats it.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Im not sure if I missed it but will my ls1 starter work with the ls3? also will my monster stage 3 clutch and flywheel from my ls1 work with the ls3?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by caturnbull1
Im not sure if I missed it but will my ls1 starter work with the ls3? also will my monster stage 3 clutch and flywheel from my ls1 work with the ls3?
Yes and Yes.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently converted my '08 LY5 5.3 and deleted AFM. The cam I used was GM part number 12625437 (for engines with VVT and non-AFM). It is a single bolt cam and is drilled for VVT, but with a regular bolt in place, it doesn't effect anything. Just use a standard single bolt cam gear, and LS2 chain dampner and you'll be fine.

Don't forget you will have to change the PCM program (tune) to remove the AFM codes, change the AFM timing tables, activation, etc.

Quick Reply: VVT delete without cam swap. Help please!