Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Are people secretive about their cam profiles anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Are people secretive about their cam profiles anymore?

Title is self-expanatory in regards to first response.

If you are or are not, why do you think it matters? Should we be?

I'd rather not post my thoughts right away, because I'd like to, at least initially, get opinions without biasing the question out the gate. Plus, I've been out of the game long enough, I may not even have a valid perspective. LOL!

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't buy a cam that I didn't know the specs of or one which I was "not allowed" to share after buying it.

It's a cam, not a magic bean stalk
Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I wouldn't buy a cam that I didn't know the specs of or one which I was "not allowed" to share after buying it.

I don't like that either, even though I understand why some engine builders, trying to be competitive, might think of the cam profile as being part of a proprietary product and therefore confidential.

What I am specifically talking about, though, is if YOU buy a cam for an engine you are building, would you keep the profile secret? And why or why not.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

"Magic bean stalk" would be a great name for a cam. Lmfao
Old 01-06-2015, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick someone get Kip in here....lol

I am not secretive about any part of my car. It runs what it runs. I don't grudge race it but it's not a stellar performer anyway.

Even the big bad street racers guys though, what difference does it make what cam is in it? If someone's faster they are still faster.

I see your point about engine builders, but at the same time a competing engine builder should be able to spec a cam for their own engine and it's components...the competitors cam spec'ced for their components would be irrelevant IMO. The only "maybe" I can think of would be heads up class racing that severely limits what can be done with the cars.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people will share it with you but, normally not a good practice if shop A can copy what shop B has done that is proven as a good combination shop A can can sell it and really Know Nothing. Another reason is when your kicking butt would you like it if someone Knew what we where doing?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't see the point in keeping it a secret. If someone asks me, I'll tell them the specs that I remember.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Call Bullet, they will give you all the info on a cam you buy from them, of course I have a relation ship with them too, lol.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I think it's silly to do that for street cars. Too many different combos to have that "best" cam that everyone just has to copy.

I built an engine once and the customer supplied the cam and no cam card. I called the "guru" that designed the cam and he wouldn't tell me the specs. "You do know that I have a degree wheel and I'm not afraid to use it," I said, "I just want the ICL so I know it's installed where YOU intended it to be." He still wouldn't say.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
I think it's silly to do that for street cars. Too many different combos to have that "best" cam that everyone just has to copy.

I built an engine once and the customer supplied the cam and no cam card. I called the "guru" that designed the cam and he wouldn't tell me the specs. "You do know that I have a degree wheel and I'm not afraid to use it," I said, "I just want the ICL so I know it's installed where YOU intended it to be." He still wouldn't say.
thats a pretty dumb move on his part. isnt really good for buisness holding that mentality
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are all car enthusiasts...why not share? This is public forum to help each other out and share our findings. The biggest secret is not some magical cam, it's a well thought out combo that makes the big power!
Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

As a person comes along, you learn what U want, if any person wants a cam spec's just have 1 made custom by some1 Who has proven combinations..... Know spec's are needed. If you Know what you want....... Cause I don't make cams...so call 4 what you want, kind of takes the foolish thoughts of copying some1 else.

Last edited by lil john; 01-06-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM

I told Comp Cams what kind of setup I had .. that I was putting in a stroked 427 (441), that I wanted to apply modest boost (5-7 lbs), that it was in a fully dressed Trans Am (normal weight), that the motor is built with forged parts ... and I gave him the heads' profile and Piston CR ratio, the converter stall ratio, that I want to idle with an Automatic transmission ... all that stuff.

From that they gave me a "Custom Grind". (I don't know if that means they actually ground a new camshaft for me, or pulled something off the shelf they thought would work, but the card says "Custom ground cam for Michael Buie".)

I thought it might be fun to share the specs with you guys and get your opinion, but didn't know if that is considered naive of me to do so.

I don't gamble ... just race for fun, so am not worried about me, myself losing $$$ on street races and such. But, some people might not race me heads-up or may try to have me set them out a few car-lengths if they think my configuration is "all that". I do like to win if I race.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Banned

Me neither.... 408 never tested never.....will, but proven people are real.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Well, this is what I bought a few years ago when I started accumulating parts for this engine buildup I describe in post #14.

Opinions?

Gross Valve Lift: .623 Int .623 Exh
Duraton @ .006 Tappet Lift: 289 Int Exh 305

Installed Specs:
Duration @ .050 239 Int 254 Exh
Lobe Lift .367 Int .367 Exh
Lobe Separation 115
Old 01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks like a great turbo cam
Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned

Not 2 get off the subject...... but End of Watch deserves a award... I love that film..:-)
Old 01-06-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

When this crap started ".60x"/.61x" 23x*/24x* 112+6" I laughed and picked up cam catalogue and started reading. It is a science - sure; but that is just a bunch of lobes pulled out of a book. Big deal. There is enough information out there (if you are willing to do the research) to get yourself to a 95% solution of your street car cam needs and call it into a grinder, just as there is a horrible amount of misinformation that will jack your engine up.

What is starting now is the "proprietary lobe design" mantra in order to keep the "secret and suspense" effect in check.

The over-protective guru mentality is unfortunate in this information age - but, you gotta make a buck right? Credit where it is due to those who know how to spec a cam based on a combination for those who want to pay for the advice, and greater kudos for those who want to help build knowledge within a community by sharing what they know.

This approach rings even more true with ECM tuning and how it is a black art, voodoo, or witchcraft. But, with all the self-tuning systems coming to market the "tooners" are going to see a dive in that business as well; thus the means to more readily tune stock ECMs will too have to become obtainable by the average Joe.

Reminds me of when I was a young man at the drags:
Me: Hey, nice Grand National! What's done to it?
Him: It's stock.
Me: Uh huh... thanks *cough***** you very much asshat*cough*
Old 01-06-2015, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

most cam places go off the same master lobe list anyways. Only a few select places will do a 100% custom camshaft with lobes not on a master list.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless your car is exactly like mine my cam specs mean nothing to you.

If you think them telling you the specs before you pay for it makes you feel better call comp they can guess out of the catalog just as easy as you can.

I know Flow Tech Induction doesn't tell until you pay because people are just fishing for info.

If you are paying a expert to spec a cam and he tells you the specs are you going to argue them if it is not what you think it should be? If that is the case why are you calling them?

Half of the self proclaimed experts only real experience is what they read on the internet.

I pay FTI to do all my valve train and cylinder head work. I don't question him and the performance always exceeds expectations.

Tim

Quick Reply: Are people secretive about their cam profiles anymore?