Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

looking to build a 427 ls3 is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 401 Likes on 157 Posts

Guys

A stock LS3 block has a short sleeve.....about 5.500 long.

Even a 4" stroke pulls the piston out of the bore more than you would like but there are many out there and they seem to have a decent track record for solid long term reliability....pulling it out the hole another 1/8" IMO is the potential straw that breaks the camels back giving you long term piston rock issues and faster bore and skirt wear.

It wont make any more power.....the heads and induction dictate that.....a few more ft/lbs of torque but at the expense of what I just mentioned.

A Darton sleeved block on the other hand is 5.700 - 5.750 in length.....that means you can run a 4.125 stoke in that block and have less wear and tear than a stock block with a 4" stroke.....in fact the piston is further up the bore by an additional 1/8" or so.

Stick with a 4" stroke for all your stock block strokers IMO....they are cheaper and easier to build as well (less windage tray clearance issues, etc.).

Hope this helps!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Guys

A stock LS3 block has a short sleeve.....about 5.500 long.

Even a 4" stroke pulls the piston out of the bore more than you would like but there are many out there and they seem to have a decent track record for solid long term reliability....pulling it out the hole another 1/8" IMO is the potential straw that breaks the camels back giving you long term piston rock issues and faster bore and skirt wear.

It wont make any more power.....the heads and induction dictate that.....a few more ft/lbs of torque but at the expense of what I just mentioned.

A Darton sleeved block on the other hand is 5.700 - 5.750 in length.....that means you can run a 4.125 stoke in that block and have less wear and tear than a stock block with a 4" stroke.....in fact the piston is further up the bore by an additional 1/8" or so.

Stick with a 4" stroke for all your stock block strokers IMO....they are cheaper and easier to build as well (less windage tray clearance issues, etc.).

Hope this helps!

-Tony
Tons thanks so much for all the help o just found out that the stock ls1 in my car is down a cylinder so my build may be on deck sooner than later.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Listen to Tony. Less stroke just lets you rev the motor more for the power you wouldnt have, without the wear and windage penalty.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:55 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Listen to Tony. Less stroke just lets you rev the motor more for the power you wouldnt have, without the wear and windage penalty.
I would argue otherwise. The long runner plastic manifolds hinder power above a certain RPM. A longer stroke allows you to run a larger head that would otherwise be too big with a shorter stroke with the same intake.

More RPM doesn't always make more power if the torque isn't there.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My ls3 based 427 was on the dyno this week for tuning and I can say I have no blowby. Also the oil consumption during the break in period has been low. I have JE asymmetrical pistons and rings.

I also have a friend with virtually the same motor but has Wiesco pistons. He had some pretty good blowby and had the rear main seal blown out. He had to do some serious venting of his motor.

Here is a link explaining the JE asymmetrical pistons.

http://www.jepistons.com/Articles/10...d-Pistons.aspx

Quick Reply: looking to build a 427 ls3 is this right?