Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds bad ***!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man nice build glad you found the prob I have a quick check to know if rockers are hitting just put a knock sensor on the valve cover (my index finger) with engine running and can easily sense if a knock is present.

You should surpass your goal numbers...
Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it sounded a little too sewing machine like but since it was essentially setting the rocker down on the valve cover rather than forcing up into it, it wasn't very loud.

Learned a lot from this build. Took a long time and presented challenges but around here, most people ask "what shop built your motor". I take a tremendous amount of pride in doing my own work as much as possible.

I do have to give a big shout out to Tony Mamo for great service and parts. He worked magic on my TB, intake, and heads. Spec'd a good cam for my goals and put up with a lot of calls, emails, and texts. He was even ready to go through the motor with me when I could not seem to find the problem even though he didn't build it. Class act and worth every penny.

Another big shout out to Randy Vrooman from Johnson Lifters. Spent much time with him on the phone, email, and text trying to trace the problem. When I suspected I might have a lifter problem he took them back and drop shipped new lifters my way. Service after the sale and standing 100% behind a product. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Travis,
Congrats on you're progress so far! Looking forward to your
results. Read through you're whole thread again looking for
Your Cam Specs, did I miss them, did you post them?
I have the same Heads, Intake, & TB as you but going with
LLSR. I am living vicariously through you're build at the
Moment as I have not determined my builder as of yet.
Dan
Old 12-19-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
I have not determined my builder as of yet.
Speaking from experience, I would definitely recommend against using ERL. And unless you already know someone locally that you can trust, it will be difficult to find that person. Since I have been going round-and-round with this ERL engine, I have found an engine builder that I trust and know if I ever do this again I can be assured it is done right.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Travis,
Congrats on you're progress so far! Looking forward to your
results. Read through you're whole thread again looking for
Your Cam Specs, did I miss them, did you post them?
I have the same Heads, Intake, & TB as you but going with
LLSR. I am living vicariously through you're build at the
Moment as I have not determined my builder as of yet.
Dan
Dan,

I guess I never posted the specs so here you go.

238/249
.623/.615
113+1
LSL/LXL lobes

Keep in mind this is not a max effort drag car so the cam is likely a little t smaller than many looking for a peak number. This build is meant to motivate a 4000 lb 5th Gen around road tracks. Still expecting a pretty good number but with more cam this thing would definitely peak near 700 at the flywheel.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
Speaking from experience, I would definitely recommend against using ERL. And unless you already know someone locally that you can trust, it will be difficult to find that person. Since I have been going round-and-round with this ERL engine, I have found an engine builder that I trust and know if I ever do this again I can be assured it is done right.
Yeah I think you may have stated once before you had a problem with ERL. I had great customer service and so far very satisfied with the short block assembly. I believe this will tolerate way more than I'll throw at it in the current configuration. I over built the short block so it's ready to take whatever I throw at it later down the road.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Just took it for a drive. Car sounds AWESOME! The old motor sounded mean but was raspy. The new motor is much deeper and throaty. Nice lope at idle but not too loud. Blip the go pedal and holy !@#$. I'll take it easy and build some good break-in miles before I hit the dyno. Even though its a road track car I'd like to hit the ¼ but SoCal is crap for tracks. Going to be carrying a perm-grin for awhile and will be very difficult to behave to I finish the break-in.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I predict 565+ RWHP @ 6700 RPM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tadams72
Even though its a road track car I'd like to hit the ¼ but SoCal is crap for tracks.
Bring it Famoso. Jim preps the track more than sticky enough for you. Hit me up if you ever go there.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

I predict 565+ RWHP @ 6700 RPM.
Noted. Be interesting to see how close you are. I'd say that should be in the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by HighspeedLean
Bring it Famoso. Jim preps the track more than sticky enough for you. Hit me up if you ever go there.
Going to have to look into it. Only thing in San Diego is â…› mile and one is a parking lot strip at the stadium. No traction to be had there.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tadams72
Also got the secondary oil pressure sensor fitted using an adapter in place of the oil gallery plug and a little elbow from Home Depot. Tucked in nicely so should have no clearance issues.
This is not a good idea - ideally you want a braided hose connecting the sender unit to the block. While the chances are relative low that the elbow may break (due to fatigue from engine vibrations), the costs if it did could be quite high.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
This is not a good idea - ideally you want a braided hose connecting the sender unit to the block. While the chances are relative low that the elbow may break (due to fatigue from engine vibrations), the costs if it did could be quite high.
I can understand your reservation but I am confident in the setup. I've seen plenty of builds using "T" and elbow connectors for oil pressure. I chose to go this route because i nee the factory sensor to remain in place and I wanted redundant and accurate oil pressure monitoring. I'll keep an eye on it as its position allows easy monitoring but still feel protected from any possibility of debris.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Teching In

I haven't been to this site in a while but really enjoyed reading this thread. You and I have similar goals and objectives regarding our cars and what we want to do with them. This build thread reminded me of the trials and tribulations in my build briefly described in this thread, but without all the troubleshooting we did.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ii-build.html

Only update to my thread is that we tested a slightly more aggressive cam and it did add about 15rwhp, but gave up a lot of driveability thru parking lots and I'll go back to our original when we have time.

I couldn't resist getting a 2014 Z28 back in June 2014. We just finished installing an ERL 427 with MAST heads, Comp cam for road course performance, ARH headers and exhaust, Lingenfelter Twin Disc ZR1 Clutch, but kept the OEM intake and TB to keep it looking stock from the engine bay. Bagged the OEM 427 and exhaust for anyone wanting to return the car to original down the road. Still doing breakin miles before final tune. Expect around 530 to 540 rwhp from it.

I'm going to follow this thread now. Great job!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Momentum
I haven't been to this site in a while but really enjoyed reading this thread. You and I have similar goals and objectives regarding our cars and what we want to do with them. This build thread reminded me of the trials and tribulations in my build briefly described in this thread, but without all the troubleshooting we did.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ii-build.html

Only update to my thread is that we tested a slightly more aggressive cam and it did add about 15rwhp, but gave up a lot of driveability thru parking lots and I'll go back to our original when we have time.

I couldn't resist getting a 2014 Z28 back in June 2014. We just finished installing an ERL 427 with MAST heads, Comp cam for road course performance, ARH headers and exhaust, Lingenfelter Twin Disc ZR1 Clutch, but kept the OEM intake and TB to keep it looking stock from the engine bay. Bagged the OEM 427 and exhaust for anyone wanting to return the car to original down the road. Still doing breakin miles before final tune. Expect around 530 to 540 rwhp from it.

I'm going to follow this thread now. Great job!
I had read your thread before. The Super Deck II was a lot of motor and the torque that thing created would be great on the track. What were your before and after cam specs on this motor?

Are you doing a thread for the Z as that is going to be pretty close to mine I suspect. Interested to see what you did and the results.

Very happy so far. Still working break in miles but definitely more power than the old LS3. The amount of power this setup has created a new problem. The car has 4.10 rear diff which is going to be much too low for the torque this is making. Good thing is I was seeing too much rpm and too many gear changes on the track so probably going to step down to a 3.73 at some point.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Travis,
Have you been driving in these 40* temps we have been having in CA
for the last week? Throttle response and and power must feel
Insane! Tony said his CTSV felt like 900 HP the other night!
3.73s may be too much, maybe 3.42s LOL!
Looking forward to your results. 575+ with this air, must be -1500 DA.

Happy New Year!
Dan
Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I don't have the cam specs here at home but will get them for you for both motors.

The 500 ci ERL motor is doing over 600/600 to the rear wheels and could go higher with custom intake, etc, but I've found it's all I can handle at the road course. Still running factory gearing in a M6. Just cruising around I can roll into the throttle at 2500 rpm up thru 4th gear and break the Michelin PSS's loose.....that's fun!

Been too busy to do a real build thread on the 427, but here's what's in it. Didn't have near the issues with the 427 that we did with the 500.

ERL M2 Pkg 427 Dry Sleeve Short Block
Wiseco 11.5 to 1
Compstar Rods and Crank
Custom Comp Cam
MAST LS7 305 cc Heads
LS7 OEM Rockers/Lifters (with trunion kit installed)
ARH 1 7/8" Headers
Lingenfelter ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch (added a speed bleeder line)
OEM Intake, TB and CAI

I'm at about 300 mi of my 500 mi break in (recommended by ERL for this build). Expecting about 540 RWHP. You'll definitely be higher with the FAST and TB work.

PS PowerFab here in Houston did the install.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Travis,
Have you been driving in these 40* temps we have been having in CA
for the last week? Throttle response and and power must feel
Insane! Tony said his CTSV felt like 900 HP the other night!
3.73s may be too much, maybe 3.42s LOL!
Looking forward to your results. 575+ with this air, must be -1500 DA.

Happy New Year!
Dan
Dan,

Yeah the temps are surely not hurting power output right now but I'll be happy to see us back in the 70's. Been in SoCal too long so the blood is thin these days!

Yeah I am wondering about 3.42's but honestly if 3.73's still turn out to be too much then I'll just get another set. Waiting on Lingenfelter to let me know the cost for new gear. Hoping a gear change will get rid of some of the noise as the 4.10's are noisy as hell. I've got solid sub-frame and high durometer urethane bushings in the diff and it just howls in the car. Took the diff out during this recent build and had it inspected by reputable performance shop here and it is setup right, just noisy.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Originally Posted by Momentum
I don't have the cam specs here at home but will get them for you for both motors.

The 500 ci ERL motor is doing over 600/600 to the rear wheels and could go higher with custom intake, etc, but I've found it's all I can handle at the road course. Still running factory gearing in a M6. Just cruising around I can roll into the throttle at 2500 rpm up thru 4th gear and break the Michelin PSS's loose.....that's fun!

Been too busy to do a real build thread on the 427, but here's what's in it. Didn't have near the issues with the 427 that we did with the 500.

ERL M2 Pkg 427 Dry Sleeve Short Block
Wiseco 11.5 to 1
Compstar Rods and Crank
Custom Comp Cam
MAST LS7 305 cc Heads
LS7 OEM Rockers/Lifters (with trunion kit installed)
ARH 1 7/8" Headers
Lingenfelter ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch (added a speed bleeder line)
OEM Intake, TB and CAI

I'm at about 300 mi of my 500 mi break in (recommended by ERL for this build). Expecting about 540 RWHP. You'll definitely be higher with the FAST and TB work.

PS PowerFab here in Houston did the install.
I bet that 500 is insane amounts of fun to drive but definitely a handful on a road course. People who have't driven there assume more power means faster but its a diminishing returns game where too much can get you into trouble and actually slow you down because you screw up braking, corner entry/exit, etc.

I seem to remember reading a thread (maybe it was yours here or on another forum) about some challenges with this build.

Yeah mine is the M4 Super Deck I. Had to go custom on the Wiseco piston to get the compression and PTV correct. Upgraded rings to Total Seal.

What oil and pump are you running and what pressures are you seeing?
Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Running OEM LS7 oil system as delivered in the Z/28. Did go with a new OEM oil pump. It's the same quasi dry sump system Chevy used in the Z06. Currently running some junk oil during break in. I am a Brad Penn fan so will probably run it after break in.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I'm running a wet setup with a ported Melling 10296 and Valvoline 10W40. I see 80+ psi at cold idle. Settles to low 40's when warm. Will be interesting to see what it looks like after a hard session on the track.

Quick Reply: ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)