Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

8k RPM possible with hyd roller?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joyridin'
John Callie does not own anything in Gear Company, which is the company that manufactures Morel lifters.

The plot thicken's, so does John own Morel? If so, is he then simply another customer of the "Gear Company"?

John either own's Morel or is a shareholder in Morel as I have an email from him with regard to a query I had on Morel's solid lifters. And have spoken to him on two occasions about the same subject.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
The plot thicken's, so does John own Morel? If so, is he then simply another customer of the "Gear Company"?

John either own's Morel or is a shareholder in Morel as I have an email from him with regard to a query I had on Morel's solid lifters. And have spoken to him on two occasions about the same subject.
Another person to talk to about Morel is Chris Straub of Straub Technologies. Oops, I apologize if he is not a sponsor here at LS1Tech. I am in no way advertising, I apologize LS1Tech.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

A Morel dealer claimed that he visited the Morel factory which is majority owned by John Callies [the founder of Callies crank's] and that I would be shocked if I knew the big brand names that have their lifters made by Morel, and many to their design, so that they are not simply re-branded Morels. When I mentioned to him that I was running the Johnson's he said "yep their also made by Morel to Johnson's specifications"
He may have been mistaken regarding the Johnson lifters, that company actually has their own manufacturing.
The companies that rebrand Morel lifters. Lunati, Bullet, PBM, Howards cams (?), Straub.... motorsports unlimited, some comp, I believe many comp's lifters are made by Johnson. Basically the whole point of this is these companies are to provide the customer service, they're camshaft experts.

Funny I was driving to PRI think '09, started to rain saw some guys taking cover, I'm like hey, going to PRI get in, it was John Lewis from Johnson/SEC, so yeah we had a chat. You may want to call him if you have questions.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser588
He may have been mistaken regarding the Johnson lifters, that company actually has their own manufacturing.
The companies that rebrand Morel lifters. Lunati, Bullet, PBM, Howards cams (?), Straub.... motorsports unlimited, some comp, I believe many comp's lifters are made by Johnson. Basically the whole point of this is these companies are to provide the customer service, they're camshaft experts.

Funny I was driving to PRI think '09, started to rain saw some guys taking cover, I'm like hey, going to PRI get in, it was John Lewis from Johnson/SEC, so yeah we had a chat. You may want to call him if you have questions.
That's awesome ! I'll have to ask him about that. His name is Joe Lewis, and he's the sales manager. Yes, we manufacture our own lifters. Comp used to buy lifters from us, but hasn't in quite a few years.

We kind of went off on tangent here. Back to the OP's question...spinning a hyd. roller to 8k. It can and has been done...but as was mentioned the airflow and a well thought out cam profile to support it is the largest concern. In high RPM road course, or big boost applications I always recommend shaft mounts and short travel lifters. IMO the geometry and scrub benefits you gain from a roller tip rocker is ideal in these arenas. Also the added strength on the exhaust side for boosted engines. I personally like Crower's stuff. For this build upgraded stockers would do just fine and yes they are easier on components due to their weight. Hell...the COPO does fine with straight out of the box OEM rockers (not that I agree with it).

Last edited by Havoc40; 06-23-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

No, Ed owns Gear Company which manufactures Morel lifters and other brands. Gear Company manufactured lifters years ago, but left the business and was manufacturing other car parts. John Callie came to them and asked them to start again and Gear Company did. He has no ownership in the business but is their sole distributor for Morel lifters. They do sell direct to a Nascar engine builder and design/manufacture lifters for this company under contract.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Havoc40
That's awesome ! I'll have to ask him about that. His name is Joe Lewis, and he's the sales manager. Yes, we manufacture our own lifters. Comp used to buy lifters from us, but hasn't in quite a few years.

We kind of went off on tangent here. Back to the OP's question...spinning a hyd. roller to 8k. It can and has been done...but as was mentioned the airflow and a well thought out cam profile to support it is the largest concern. In high RPM road course, or big boost applications I always recommend shaft mounts and short travel lifters. IMO the geometry and scrub benefits you gain from a roller tip rocker is ideal in these arenas. Also the added strength on the exhaust side for boosted engines. I personally like Crower's stuff. For this build upgraded stockers would do just fine and yes they are easier on components due to their weight. Hell...the COPO does fine with straight out of the box OEM rockers (not that I agree with it).
Thanks Havoc. If I stay hydraulic, your lifters will be in the recipe.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TA63
Is 8000 rpm possible with the right hydraulic roller cam if using top of the line Johnson lifters, shaft mounted rockers, and lightened valve train components?
Would shaft mount rockers be a must?
Good luck w/this venture but I'll add the following.

At 8000rpm, what specifically makes one HYDRAULIC lifter any better than the other? Hydraulics are hydraulics. I would like to see this issue broken down in detail.

Generally, the engines we run are not very cheap. That said, I don't really see the point in putting a lifter in that could in theory collapse and destroy the engine.

I think the solid roller lifter is less likely to do this and a better option especially for someone wanting to spin 8000rpm. I wonder what the NASCAR guys use. If its hydraulic, might be something to copy.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Good luck w/this venture but I'll add the following.

At 8000rpm, what specifically makes one HYDRAULIC lifter any better than the other? Hydraulics are hydraulics. I would like to see this issue broken down in detail.

Generally, the engines we run are not very cheap. That said, I don't really see the point in putting a lifter in that could in theory collapse and destroy the engine.

I think the solid roller lifter is less likely to do this and a better option especially for someone wanting to spin 8000rpm. I wonder what the NASCAR guys use. If its hydraulic, might be something to copy.

Indeed NASCAR does not use Hydraulic Lifers.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

As of a few years ago sprint cup cars ran solid flat tappet, 2015 rules bring roller lifters to cup cars. Nationwide.. Xfinity now run solid roller lifters.

Australian V8 Supercars I believe are Solid Roller, but rev limited to 7500rpm, fact check this Kiwikid?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
You do know who havoc40 is right? He's the main engineer at Johnson; his names randy fwiw. Don't go generalizing things like that because in the end you don't look too smart.

Morel makes lunatis lifters though, I have held jihnsons in my hands and they in no way resemble morels. Toilet and tick will tell you the same thing.
Toilet?

Not sure Brian has been called that before...LOL!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all practical purposes your contemplating building a modernized DZ 302 more or less. If you reduced your rpm goals a little, your cost would go way down. Low 7000s wouldn't require $$$ parts and still be a lot of fun.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes 8K is possible, I have a LSX454 hydraulic roller with trickflow heads and it will spin to 8 grand. Last time I dynoed it in my 2002 6 spd camaro it was over 600 WHP but I need to redo the sheetmetal intake and find me a Corvette to put the motor in and I think I should be able to see 650 rwhp all motor. Its been a goal of mine for a while but I am still working on my Dodge Challenger build to be complete before I get back on the Chevy build again.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:43 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by cbruer
Yes 8K is possible, I have a LSX454 hydraulic roller with trickflow heads and it will spin to 8 grand. Last time I dynoed it in my 2002 6 spd camaro it was over 600 WHP but I need to redo the sheetmetal intake and find me a Corvette to put the motor in and I think I should be able to see 650 rwhp all motor. Its been a goal of mine for a while but I am still working on my Dodge Challenger build to be complete before I get back on the Chevy build again.
No need to go sheet metal for 650 wheel. A ported MSD will get you there and then some, and fit nicely under the f-body cowl or a corvette hood.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

5+yrs later, glad thats figured out...

Last edited by rkupon1; 02-22-2021 at 04:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rkupon1:
blackdak318 (02-25-2021), G Atsma (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
GAtsma put you guys up to this? 😜
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (02-22-2021), rkupon1 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 680 Likes on 554 Posts

Bump it with a update while we here 🙂

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...billy-godbold/

Old 02-22-2021, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
No, but that would be funny...

Check his IP from his recent post. He suddenly popped up and bumped a few threads that were at least 5 years old.

I can't see any of that since they separated the forums.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!!!
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Corona ftw. Saves day n makes thread relevant. Roll that beautiful bean footage, lol
Old 02-22-2021, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
No, but that would be funny...

Check his IP from his recent post. He suddenly popped up and bumped a few threads that were at least 5 years old.

I can't see any of that since they separated the forums.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!!!
Not guilty... as charged anyway.... I figured, five years..... meh....lol

Quick Reply: 8k RPM possible with hyd roller?