Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

8k RPM possible with hyd roller?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 8k RPM possible with hyd roller?

Is 8000 rpm possible with the right hydraulic roller cam if using top of the line Johnson lifters, shaft mounted rockers, and lightened valve train components?
Would shaft mount rockers be a must?

Last edited by TA63; 06-21-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TA63
Is 8000 rpm possible with the right hydraulic roller cam if using top of the line Johnson lifters, shaft mounted rockers, and lightened valve train components?
Would shaft mount rockers be a must?
In principle yes, Johnson Lifters are made by Morel, however I am not sure if Morel will private-label their very best Hydraulic lifter, so i would choose the Morel's just to be sure. Sustained high rpm could be a potential issue for you if you don't go to shaft mounted rockers, personally I would recommend you talk to Kip at Cam Motion.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
In principle yes, Johnson Lifters are made by Morel, however I am not sure if Morel will private-label their very best Hydraulic lifter, so i would choose the Morel's just to be sure. Sustained high rpm could be a potential issue for you if you don't go to shaft mounted rockers, personally I would recommend you talk to Kip at Cam Motion.
Morel does not make the lifters for Johnson. 1st time I've heard that one lol.

To answer the OP, yes it's possible with a well thought out top end. I'd definitely recommend going with a good shaft mount system.
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (02-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Llssr
Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

^^^^^^^^AGREED!!^^^^^^^^
By the time you have shaft mount rockers you may as well go
LLSR from CAMMOTION, your lifters will be less $$ and you will
Definitely have much GREATER RELIABILITY!!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You realize you're going to need shaft rockers for a LLSR right? Not only that but they have to be adjustable which is even more dollars. Solid roller lifters are also still going to cost 400+ for a decent set. So you're not really saving too much over a hydraulic setup.

Now if the op wants to spin 8k it will be easier with a solid roller but can be done without one. The copo camaro does 8500. You just have to pick the right lobes good rockers and the right valves/pushrods

Last edited by redbird555; 06-21-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which lifter would be the best set up? know the stock ones and ls7 are good but been looking at a lot of the tie bar in different brands. all about the same pricing(350.00 to 1k). also regular or short stroke ones for say in the neighborhood of 7k to 7.5k rpm
Old 06-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Havoc40
Morel does not make the lifters for Johnson. 1st time I've heard that one lol.

To answer the OP, yes it's possible with a well thought out top end. I'd definitely recommend going with a good shaft mount system.
Hi Havoc,

Dont want to start a slanging match with you, but the fact is Morel make most of the performance hydraulic lifters for the big name's, including Johnson. Naturally they will deny that but its just a fact of life, another matter of "fact" I am running Johnson's high RPM hydraulic lifters in my 435ci Mosler engine and they will easily spin to 8,000 RPM.

As we have that engine's rpm limited to 7,500 [and usually change gears at at 7,250 rpm] we also run the standard LS7 pedestal rocker, with the CHE bronze bushing kit, as we believe thats about the lightest rocker arm on the market.

Cheers,

Mark.

Last edited by KiwiKid; 06-21-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Havoc,

Dont want to start a slanging match with you, but the fact is Morel make most of the performance hydraulic lifters for the big name's, including Johnson. Naturally they will deny that but its just a fact of life, another matter of "fact" I am running Johnson's high RPM hydraulic lifters in my 435ci Mosler engine and they easily spin to 8,000 RPM.

As we have that engine's rpm limited to 7,500 and usually change gears at at 7,250 rpm, we are also running the standard LS7 pedestal rocker, with the CHE bronze bushing kit.

Cheers,

Mark.
You do know who havoc40 is right? He's the main engineer at Johnson; his names randy fwiw. Don't go generalizing things like that because in the end you don't look too smart.

Morel makes lunatis lifters though, I have held jihnsons in my hands and they in no way resemble morels. Toilet and tick will tell you the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (02-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2015, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

It is sometimes difficult to know who is making what for the different "big box" distributors. It's all good...not trying to argue one bit. As Redbird said, I've been working at Johnson Lifters/SEC for almost 15yrs. Everything is manufactured and assembled in Michigan. In no way are we connected to Morel.

I am glad to hear the results of your Mosler, though!!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Havoc40
It is sometimes difficult to know who is making what for the different "big box" distributors. It's all good...not trying to argue one bit. As Redbird said, I've been working at Johnson Lifters/SEC for almost 15yrs. Everything is manufactured and assembled in Michigan. In no way are we connected to Morel.

I am glad to hear the results of your Mosler, though!!
Hi Havoc,

As I said I don't want to start a slanging match with you, and I am happy to bow to your obvious first hand knowledge.

A Morel dealer claimed that he visited the Morel factory which is majority owned by John Callies [the founder of Callies crank's] and that I would be shocked if I knew the big brand names that have their lifters made by Morel, and many to their design, so that they are not simply re-branded Morels. When I mentioned to him that I was running the Johnson's he said "yep their also made by Morel to Johnson's specifications"

He is obviously wrong in this instance, and I shall inform him so, but having spoken to John Callies myself [over some solid Morel lifters I am purchasing] he did admit that they make many of the industries lifters, as a contract manufacture of such specialty items.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never done the short tie bar lifter on a ls. are they just dropin or do i have to fab the factory lifter tray to hold them in place like the hold down on the old school sbc? or would you get the stock style short from like comp or another brand and use the factory ls7 hold down?

Last edited by RUNUDWN99T/A; 06-21-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

I'm pretty sure it's been done. I know you have to run the best lifters and rockers you can afford. I highly suggest talking to Kip@CamMotion. He'll set you up in the right direction.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Lifters/valvetrain are one factor however air flow is another. Simply pairing the greatest and shiniest lifters and cam with a 241 head will not get you to 8000 rpm.

When I was at Speed Inc. the shop car 02 Z28 with twin HP-72 turbos and 385ci would shift at 7800rpm (I recall), hydraulic roller, this was with LS7 lifters, PSI dual springs, 200lbs on the seat, 240 duration cam, XE lobes and factory rockers.

While everyone is about the fastest ramps, most aggressive lobes and highest lift, we would actually use less aggressive low lift lobes, to maintain stability at near 8000rpm.

I know turbocharged throws off your equation but it brings home the fact with enough airflow (provided by turbochargers in this case) you can make 8000rpm the good valvetrain pieces simply support that number.

I wouldn't go with shaft rockers, unless I was changing the valve length, to get more installed height etc. or solid lifter. NHRA Stock Eliminator LS3 engines use stock rockers and run 8000 rpm, with hydraulic lifters.

Thats where these slow leakdown lifters came from.... Stock eliminator classes. You have to run a factory appearing lifter, but you can modify them internally.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I spun my hyd cam to 8k with stock lifters and che bushed stock rockers, with nothing special in the valvetrain. Isn't much to it, other then not using a retarded cam lobe and having decent springs. I was running pac 1207xs at the time. FWIW it quit making power at 7600

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I definitely agree with the above. Airflow and cam mean everything. The rest are just supporting components. Most of the high RPM builds I've been involved with use upgraded stock rockers...besides endurance applications. Without knowing the details and intended use of this engine, it's kind of tough to recommend anything.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

No particular purpose in mind for the motor, just thinking of doing something a little out of the ordinary. It would be a weekend toy that will make an occasional trip down the dragstrip. I have a Callies magnum XL crankshaft in a 3.185 stroke. Thinking about throwing it in a 4 inch bore block and feeding it with twin 58-62mm turbos. Heads would consist of ported 799's with titanium valves. Looking for input on the rest of the valvetrain. I wouldn't mind a LLSR, but shaft rockers certainly strain the budget. If I can get there with a well designed hydraulic setup, I would prefer to stay with one.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA63
Thinking about throwing it in a 4 inch bore block and feeding it with twin 58-62mm turbos. Heads would consist of ported 799's with titanium valves. Looking for input on the rest of the valvetrain. I wouldn't mind a LLSR, but shaft rockers certainly strain the budget. If I can get there with a well designed hydraulic setup, I would prefer to stay with one.
Need more turbo if you want 8000rpm, ie twin PTE 6766; twin 58mm compressors will peak early with 300ci.

I would go with TFS 220 as cast heads or ideally a 235 head for rpm sake, stainless valves. Buy them through TEA, have them install K800 springs, shimmed up to your cam lift specs.

Those heads will give you a better gasket seal, more flow, and many valve spring options versus 799 heads.

Last edited by Fraser588; 06-22-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RUNUDWN99T/A
never done the short tie bar lifter on a ls. are they just dropin or do i have to fab the factory lifter tray to hold them in place like the hold down on the old school sbc? or would you get the stock style short from like comp or another brand and use the factory ls7 hold down?
I'm going to be running these, they are the morel #5425. The one on the top is stock length lifter. No lifter trays
Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Havoc,

As I said I don't want to start a slanging match with you, and I am happy to bow to your obvious first hand knowledge.

A Morel dealer claimed that he visited the Morel factory which is majority owned by John Callies [the founder of Callies crank's] and that I would be shocked if I knew the big brand names that have their lifters made by Morel, and many to their design, so that they are not simply re-branded Morels. When I mentioned to him that I was running the Johnson's he said "yep their also made by Morel to Johnson's specifications"

He is obviously wrong in this instance, and I shall inform him so, but having spoken to John Callies myself [over some solid Morel lifters I am purchasing] he did admit that they make many of the industries lifters, as a contract manufacture of such specialty items.

Cheers,

Mark.
John Callie does not own anything in Gear Company, which is the company that manufactures Morel lifters.

Quick Reply: 8k RPM possible with hyd roller?