Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anyone care to critique my 6.2L build??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Anyone care to critique my 6.2L build??

Hey guys,

Long story condensed down to just a few words, I found a pretty good quantity of metal shavings in my oil pan. No longer trusted the engine as far as I could throw it, so I decided to tear it all apart, hot-tank it, & rebuild it the way I want it. It started life as an L92, but at the moment, it's little more than a bare block & a pair of assembled heads (that are probably already disassembled by now...). Here's what I'm thinking, I'm hoping to get real-world feedback from people with experience.

My goal is to have a nicely-streetable vehicle that's capable of truly-surprising performance when called upon (maybe think Buick GNX, with twice the power...). My transmission is supposed to be good to 700 hp, so we'll set that as the arbitrary goal (although I won't lose any sleep if I don't make a certain number).

What I already have in my possession:
  • A brand-new stock GM crankshaft;
  • A set of 8 Wiseco -11cc forged pistons (with coated skirts) - should yield about a 9.4:1 CR with stock heads;
    (these pistons come with a steel top/napier second ring set, & will require a .005" 'cleanup' hone);
  • A set of 8 TSP H-beam rods;
  • A bare, stock, aluminum 6.2L block;
  • A pair of untouched L92 heads, complete with valves & springs.
  • An oil-pan baffle from Improved Racing;
  • A FAST 102 intake manifold;

(& probably a few other "bits & pieces" that I don't recall right now...)

Basically, the first three items above is this kit, configured for the stock 6.2L displacement.

What I'm considering (to finish out the build);
  • LS7 lifters (recommended by my engine builder) - PN 12499225;
  • LS9 head gaskets - PN 12622033;
  • Coated rod & main bearings;
  • High-volume oil pump;
  • Comp Cams 13702 rocker arm trunion rebuild kit;
  • Comp Cams 7955 pushrods (???);
  • PAC-1218 valvesprings;

A couple weeks ago, I called up Comp Cams & got a recommendation for a camshaft - I've tried finding the specs that they gave me, but so far no luck. What I remember is .600 lift (at the valve of course) & a 114* LSA.

EDIT: I found the camshaft specs...

230/230 duration @ .050",
.600 lift
114 LSA,
on 13118R lobes.
As the more-astute among you have most-likely noticed, I'm putting this together as a relatively-mild turbocharger engine. I'm hoping to get over 60,000 miles from a 600+ hp engine that will run on premium-unleaded and/or E85. I'm anticipating that the redline for the engine will probably be around 6200 RPM or so (if I even get it that high, given those big intake valves...).

The first year or so that I have the engine is going to be the "break-in" period (which will also allow me to save up for the turbocharger, intercooler, etc., etc.).

But eventually I hope to take part in some open-road events (thinking maybe the SORC in NE), run a bunch of laps at HPR, and I've just recently discovered that there's a group of people running standing-mile events just an hour away from me, so that's on the list as well.

SO - with all of that in mind, is there anything that I've listed that I should perhaps reconsider?? I can spend a little bit of money right now IF IT'S TRULY JUSTIFIED, but I'm honestly trying to keep this as a "budget" build - well, as much as a forced-induction/road-race setup can be called budget... (I'm also going to try to fit a 9" rearend into the equation, & that's going to leave a mark on the wallet as well...)

Thanks in advance guys, I really do appreciate having "a second pair of eyes" review what I'm thinking of doing before I place the order.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-19-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Found the camshaft data
Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a custom made cam For F/I. By Tick/CamMotion/Pat G. The FAST intake is a waste of $ on LS3 heads both N/a or F/I(Try to send it back, pay the restock fee & use the reg. Ls3 intake). Air to air intercooler? Also there are better hyd. lifters out there. Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Dang that sucks re the shavings. IIRC this was one of the "train wreck" brand new L92 drop outs you bought a ways back

Id add cubes if your rebuilding it why not? Parts cost pretty much the same and you will end up with a LOT more jam and more civil manners vs power numbers respectively. Cam wise I wouldnt use that one. Get a hold of one of the reputable vendors ( hint do some searching on cams and LS3 heads ) and you'll see the differences. Get all your parts together THEN get a cam spec'd.

I wouldnt mess with the trunions imo its a downgrade, leave the stockers alone or get new ones if they are hurt. ARP heads studs is a wise upgrade as well.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Cam, you're right, this is the last of the L92s that became available when the train car derailed, but I'm pretty confident that the metal shavings aren't a result of that - I'll write out what happened in my main build thread once I get back to updating that one. (Right now I'm studying for a couple of work certifications that should boost my income a bit further, so this site is kind of taking a back seat to that for the short-term future...)

I gave serious thought to bumping the cubes up to 416/418 with the rebuild, but ultimately decided against it. This just isn't intended as an "all-out street beast" & I have to work within the limitations of the parts that I already have (mainly my transmission, which is supposed to be good to 700 hp). Going past that just leads to a cascade of additional upgrades, which would only delay my being able to drive it even longer. And a turbocharged 376 should provide plenty enough power to destroy my traction (and/or transmission, or, God forbid, wad the whole car up into a rather small ball...) Finally, I'm also a little bit concerned with being able to have enough tire under the car with the power that the stock cubes + turbo would be making - adding another 40 or 50 ci would just add to that...

If I ever DO decide that this isn't enough power - and the career trajectory takes off the way I'm hoping/intending - then I'll just go completely *****-out with an LSX block in a significantly-better chassis (probably a CTS-V, or maybe a Vette).

So, in reference to a camshaft - does anyone have Pat G's contact info?? Thanks again.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-21-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Hey, thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Cam, you're right, this is the last of the L92s that became available when the train car derailed, but I'm pretty confident that the metal shavings aren't a result of that - I'll write out what happened in my main build thread once I get back to updating that one. (Right now I'm studying for a couple of work certifications that should boost my income a bit further, so this site is kind of taking a back seat to that for the short-term future...)

I gave serious thought to bumping the cubes up to 416/418 with the rebuild, but ultimately decided against it. This just isn't intended as an "all-out street beast" & I have to work within the limitations of the parts that I already have (mainly my transmission, which is supposed to be good to 700 hp). Going past that just leads to a cascade of additional upgrades, which would only delay my being able to drive it even longer. And a turbocharged 376 should provide plenty enough power to destroy my traction (and/or transmission, or, God forbid, wad the whole car up into a rather small ball...) Finally, I'm also a little bit concerned with being able to have enough tire under the car with the power that the stock cubes + turbo would be making - adding another 40 or 50 ci would just add to that...

If I ever DO decide that this isn't enough power - and the career trajectory takes off the way I'm hoping/intending - then I'll just go completely *****-out with an LSX block in a significantly-better chassis (probably a CTS-V, or maybe a Vette).

So, in reference to a camshaft - does anyone have Pat G's contact info?? Thanks again.
Contact Martin at Tick.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:15 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by V8Rumble

http://www.guerragroup.com/#!camshaft-help/c1mq5

FWIW PatG spec'd the cam in my L92 and at a race weight of 3650lbs it traps 120 mph all day long. Best et 11.8 @ 120 with a 1.9x 60'

Street car on slammed suspension and 17" low pros with stiff shocks, sway bars etc. Fun ride, but no drag machine.

Id still go for the cubes if building it, its just too tempting not to add some, more is better.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

Extra stroke in a turbo build for the street is a WASTE IMHO for
The reasons OP already mentioned. I would do CHE trunion upgrade
Or BTR at the least. Kip @ CAM MOTION would be the third
Premium Cam Consultant/Provider to consider, any would provide
Better specs and quality steel with CAM MOTION grinding who ever
Specs vs Comp. Agree with the stock LS3 intake especially for
Boost! Just have it ported. I would consider other lifters and
Springs as well.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:13 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I missed that entirely. I stopped reading at the cam specs as I was thinking this was staying NA. I was relying more on memory of previous discussion vs new info, my bad.

Heck 600whp is all your after with boost? Run the stock or LS9 cam and twin 62 bw's. Done.

Quick Reply: Anyone care to critique my 6.2L build??