Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L76 overhaul. Hoping for 700whp

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 overhaul. Hoping for 700whp

So here's my cool story...

I bought a G8 GT a couple months back. Awesome car, forged bottom end, D1SC blower, every suspension mod you can think of, built trans, meth kit, full stainless steel exhaust and a cam swap. Car ran mint (50k miles on mods). Bought it, drove it and 3 weeks later, a lifter spun in a lifter cup. So fast forward about 2 weeks ago I start tearing apart the engine and confirm this. So at this point, I'm like "screw it" and I'm now working on pulling the engine. I want to go through it myself and check everything else out. I'm in process of ordering a custom cam from Cam Motion (awesome company, and Bob helped me spec a cam that should work great for what I want) and some other parts as well. Here's my parts list, assuming when I check out the bottom end and everything is fine in that area.

Stock LS2/L76 head gaskets(?)
Cam Motion cam (226/238 .611/.596 116LSA)
LS7 lifters and lifter cups(?)
LS2 timing chain(?)
Hand porting the Stock heads
Getting the D1SC rebuilt (a little end play in the shaft, it's a "while I'm here" type of thing)
Proper PCV setup with catch can
BTR spring kit(?)
ARP headstuds were in the engine

Some variables.....

Lifters: I feel like going with stock lifters again, because this isn't a max effort build, and the 50/50 reviews of morel lifters make me nervous(while I do understand that sometimes it seems like user error when not using proper pushrods, etc.). I'm not concerned about spending money on good parts, I'm concerned about loud lifters, premature wear or failed parts.

Valvesprings: I like the science behind beehive spings for harmonic control, and the less weight in the valvetrain is a plus. My setup would probably make peak power around 7k or less, so it wouldn't exactly be a screamer by any means. What beehive springs (PSI?) would I use for my setup? I *should* have the lighter LS3 valves in my L76 heads according to the paperwork that came with the engine, I'll need to confirm this when I inspect the heads.

Headgaskets and timing chain: Stock LS2?

Intake Manifold: To be honest, I hate the thought of spending $840~ on a plastic intake, but I know it'd be the next piece of the horsepower puzzle. Has anyone installed a Holley or an Edelbrock intake on an L76 in a G8 without trimming the cowl or hood? As for a TB, I feel the stock one will suffice due to me having a centrifugal blower and not being N/A or roots/twin scroll blown.

Any other ideas? This isn't a max build by any means, but I'm not afraid to spend money where it matters, or in areas that could be good while I'm here. There was no knocking in the bottom end at all and the engine ran good even with the lifter issue, it ran like it had a slight misfire more than anything, but taking a lifter out, it was nicked pretty good, where the cam lobe contacts it, and it was a mother to get out of the lifter bore (sign of something else?). What first happened was a loud tick up top in the engine, then the CEL came one, then I started losing oil pressure and the light started flashing. Oil pressure was roughly 15-20psi on a cold start, and stayed the same at operating temp. Would a single failed or spun lifter cause this, or could the oil pressure be the cause of this? Either way, the bottom end is going to be inspected. So for now, I'm gathering top end parts, and I'll order parts as need be for the bottom end if it comes to that.

Thanks for reading my enchanting novel.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

160 views and no posts? I understand I'm not exactly trailblazing with this setup, but I expected at least a couple posts of input.

I went ahead and got new lifter cups, LS7 lifters and as a bonus I got the bronze lifter bushings since the retrofitted rockers had some decent slop in them. I also found pics of stock LS2/L76 head gaskets, and pics of comet ones. Mine look like Cometic ones. Are they reusable, or should I drop some coin for new ones to be safe?
Old 05-21-2016, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run call Kip & co and ask for a recommendation for open and close pressures for the springs, and go from there. If you can get what you need in a beehive, than give it a go. They ground my last cam, and will grind my next one for me too.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think you should have a problem with your goal numbers.
There is a dude name Jim Riskovsky Jr that built an LS2 GTO with a D1SC and logged all the dyno runs along with upgrades & adjustments.

He made 779 RWHP (731 RWHP SAE) 669 RWTQ

stock fuel rails
stock fuel lines
42 lb injectors
10.9 to 1 compression
93 octane pump gas
stock LS2 cam
stock LS2 engine
two core intercooler
12.5 psi boost
D1SC supercharger
unported LS2 heads
stock rod bolts
ethanol injection not water/methanol
stock pistons

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109327
Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

That seems like quite a bit of power for that setup.

Edit- Ethanol injection instead of methanol, it makes more sense now.

Last edited by K10Turbo; 05-30-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you put back in the same style of lifters that caused you engine failure?

Go with Johnson 2116 and forget about lifter issues. I pulled perfectly good ls7 lifters for these because **** lifters spinning in bores.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. Go with johnson 2116's. you'll never look back.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would you put back in the same style of lifters that caused you engine failure?

Go with Johnson 2116 and forget about lifter issues. I pulled perfectly good ls7 lifters for these because **** lifters spinning in bores.
Agree, although the lifter itself wasn't so much at fault as the type of lifter. I imagine even the best of the best non-linkbar lifter would've spun also.

You're pulling this engine for one single reason...so why would you upgrade it and put it back in there with the same exact parts which failed to begin with? Especially on a 5 figure engine?

Quick Reply: L76 overhaul. Hoping for 700whp