Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Input on Camshaft selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Input on Camshaft selection

Looking for input on a couple camshafts.
This is for my LS3 stroker project.
These are from livernois, I will be matching the cam with L92 heads with stainless valves.

L92 stage 2c P/N LPP801120
Intake lift .224 @ .050
Exhaust duration .236 @ .050
Intake lift .620
Exhaust lift .620
LSA 117

or

L92 stage 2c (high lift) P/N LPP801121
Intake lift .224 @ .050
Exhaust duration .236 @ .050
Intake lift .646
Exhaust lift .646
LSA 117

Difference in HP is about 15 from what they are telling me.
These are manufacturer recommended and should have no clearance issues with the high compression 11.1 pistons I will be using.
Wondering about valve weight being an issue with the high lift?
For the (high lift) the idle is noted as "aggressive".
My wife will be driving this a lot. Its a manual. Just something to think about.
Anyone running either of these cams?
Any other suggestions welcome.
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

This tsp ls3 cam uses brand new lobe design and features nearly identical cam specs. i would cut it on a 114 lsa. the 117 from livernois will cause a smoother idle but will take more time in the rpm range to reach peak power making you wind it out besically. The tsp cam on a 114 will make more tq and will be easier on valve springs

Tsp stg1 ls3 cam
Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasoholic
Looking for input on a couple camshafts.
This is for my LS3 stroker project.......
Both of those cams are smaller than the cam in stock displacement, H/C LS3....this is in my daily driver '95 Impala SS and my drivability is great.

If you're looking for good daily driver habits out of your cam, you can get there without leaving so much power on the table.....otherwise, what's the point of a stroker if you're not looking for more power.

My cam specs are 229*/242* duration, 114* + 0* LSA, with lift at .631"/.631".

http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L210075297.html

Jus' sayin'.......

KW
Old 07-28-2017, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Smaller @050 doesnt mean smaller @adv and 200...the tsp cam is about the same as your larger cam at both so it'll drive easier but act larger.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Soooo this will be a 416" and not a 376"???
Also what vehicle is it going into/gearing/tire size etc.
Are you planning to stay with factory rocker arms??
Old 07-29-2017, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Yes 416, 419, something like that. I guess it depends on how you do the math.
Its going into a 2010 Camaro 6spd manual trans.
This is a completely new set up. Everything is heavy duty. The base engine will be rated for up to 1000hp. Obviously wont get near that as I am staying naturally aspirated.
This is going to kind of push me to the limits on my funds for this winter. Planning to make some other changes in the future as I can afford them.
Eventually I want tube out the suspension and upgrade the differential. I'm running stock 3 forty something. Can't remember at the moment. But eventually I think I'm going to get set up with 3:76 gears. Lingenfelter has a complete set up that is sweet.

So back to the cam question.
These two cams are were selected from a list of suggested cams from Livernois. They're towards the higher end of that list.

There is one other on the list that is suggested for strip.

Custom L92 Stage 2r Max Camshaft
P/N LPP801127
Intake lift .235 @ .050
Exhaust duration .242 @ .050
Intake lift .603
Exhaust lift .618
LSA 114
Its listed as very aggressive with rough idle
Old 07-29-2017, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes 416, 419, something like that. I guess it depends on how you do the math.
Its going into a 2010 Camaro 6spd manual trans.
This is a completely new set up. Everything is heavy duty. The base engine will be rated for up to 1000hp. Obviously wont get near that as I am staying naturally aspirated.
This is going to kind of push me to the limits on my funds for this winter. Planning to make some other changes in the future as I can afford them.
Eventually I want tube out the suspension and upgrade the differential. I'm running stock 3 forty something. Can't remember at the moment. But eventually I think I'm going to get set up with 3:76 gears. Lingenfelter has a complete set up that is sweet.

So back to the cam question.
These two cams are were selected from a list of suggested cams from Livernois. They're towards the higher end of that list.

There is one other on the list that is suggested for strip.

Custom L92 Stage 2r Max Camshaft
P/N LPP801127
Intake lift .235 @ .050
Exhaust duration .242 @ .050
Intake lift .603
Exhaust lift .618
LSA 114
Its listed as very aggressive with rough idle
That would be aggressive for a stock stroke LS3 not a
418" stroker, that stroke will eat a lot of duration.
or consider a custom Cam from Cam Motion
Split the difference something like 231/239 114+3
~.620"/.610".

The first two cams are very small IMO for a 416" stroker.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
That would be aggressive for a stock stroke LS3 not a
418" stroker, that stroke will eat a lot of duration.
or consider a custom Cam from Cam Motion
Split the difference something like 231/239 114+3
~.620"/.610".

The first two cams are very small IMO for a 416" stroker.
Exactly! Stroke eats cam. Personally I'd be looking around 233/245 or maybe 235/245. On a 416, those will still be docile.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

In an m6 his wife drives its better to err on caution. i stick by my stg1 tsp cam recommendation.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This would be the largest cam I would go with. http://store.cammotion.com/stealthy-...rectangle-port. Since your wife will be driving the car a lot, I would go with a 226/240/117+3 .620 int .595 ex.

If you have 93-94 octane fuel in your area, I would bump the CR to 11.5.

I have a 418 with TFS 215 heads, 11.5 CR. And went from a 234/242 114 to a 234/242/117+2, and finally a 232/240/118+2 camshaft. The first cam had way too much low RPM/light throttle fish bite/trailer hitching. The next cam was better. The last cam with 0* overlap still thumps at idle and drives way better with no real difference in my 3rd gear 1000-7000 RPM time. As measured with my Hp Tuners scanner while tuning my car.

Russ Kemp
Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Smaller @050 doesnt mean smaller @adv and 200...the tsp cam is about the same as your larger cam at both so it'll drive easier but act larger.
I wasn't recommending my cam.

My point was that both of those cams are smallish performance cams for a OEM LS3.....and unnecessarily small for a 11:1 SCR stroker.

Also.....what makes you guys think his wife can't drive a hi-performance car? She's gonna have a stroked LS3 with a manual. What's the point of her having a stroker LS3 if she's not looking to have a bit of fun?

And if she can't handle a bit of power, what's the point of going through the expense of a stroker?????

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 07-30-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Any of those cams will obviously make power in a stroker.
The problem with going too large is you have to live with it. why do you think you see so many cams fs after less than 5k miles etc. 3 reasons. going bigger, wrong app for cam/changing setup, or cam is too big.
All too often now everyone judges a cam based off @050 only. adv and @200 are just as important now esp. if you can have a smaller @050 cam yet make more power, would you not want to do that?
I never said she couldnt drive a higg perf vehicle, but in instances like this where the customer mentions something like that nearly always means their s/o prefers a tamer option. it is usually better to err on the side of caution on a situation like that.
Ive been asked, a few times recently, with our ls3 stock shortblock builds, to keep the power level down. The customers cite many reasons. its specifically why we created alternatives to the gm cams honestly.
So again i stick with my recommendation for those reasons. part of being a good salesman even is taking the reigns when a customer is trying to run wild. that doesnt seem too much the case here, but i doubt he would want to change cams more than once.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You never really stated what your objectives were for this set-up. Just because your wife is driving it most of the time doesn't mean that it should have a wimpy camshaft! I agree with what others have said, the stroker can handle a much larger cam than a stock cube LS3 can so I wouldn't hesitate going with more intake duration given the fact that you are building a stroker, just make sure it's tuned properly and your wife should have zero issues with bucking and surging at low RPM's since I suspect that is your real concern. Personally I would find a cam in high 220/low 230 intake duration like the TSP Stage2 cam at 229/244 and enjoy the extra 20 to 25-ish HP that you will certainly feel and enjoy the sound of a nice idle, good luck!
Old 07-30-2017, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I asked these questions before I made any final decisions.

Someone asked about goals.

We have a beautiful 2010 Camaro, manual trans, LS3. It was originally bought by a GM exec and he had the complete exhaust system up graded using GM performance series parts. Headers, short cats, h pipe, and mufflers. The car has been tuned at least twice now. Runs really nice.
It sat for about 5 yrs before we bought it and the clutch actuator was really stiff. I managed to free it up so my wife can drive it for the rest of the summer. But it took a hit, can smell burnt clutch, due to the actuator issue. I will be replacing it this winter.
I have always had a dream of building a stroker. Right now I have the means to do it, and since I'm not getting any younger, getting to the age where dreams are getting harder to come by, my wife agreed with me that since I'm going to be doing the clutch this winter I might as well do the engine too.
I'm keeping my OE LS3 for a back up. Thought about using the OE block but honestly a complete new block isn't that much more. So having completely new short block done, with some new heads. Since I cant get a lot for the OE core I figured we might as well keep it for a back up.
My goal with the stroker is to build a naturally aspirated motor that gets 600 HP at the crank. At least that's my dream. If I don't get that much so be it. In the end its just a project that when all is said and done I want to be able to feel I accomplished something cool.
BTW... my wife is pretty good at driving the manual. I taught her myself.
She is totally on board with all this. But in the end she WILL want to drive it a lot. She drives it way more than I do. If its difficult to drive, or brakes down a lot she will not be happy with me.
So better to er on the side of dependability.

Lastly I would just like to add, the guys at Livernois have been very helpful to me. They're pretty much the only ones who have taken me serious in all of this. Some shops never return my calls, and one shop even went so far as to completely recommended against it. Livernois is very confidant in their work. They're close by me so no shipping fees, and easy to get the car there for tuning stuff. So I would really like to use their products.
I suppose I will be contacting them again this week and see if there are any other Cam options they have available. If not then I will order something from another manufacturer.

Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate it!
Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I asked these questions before I made any final decisions.

Someone asked about goals.

We have a beautiful 2010 Camaro, manual trans, LS3. It was originally bought by a GM exec and he had the complete exhaust system up graded using GM performance series parts. Headers, short cats, h pipe, and mufflers. The car has been tuned at least twice now. Runs really nice.
It sat for about 5 yrs before we bought it and the clutch actuator was really stiff. I managed to free it up so my wife can drive it for the rest of the summer. But it took a hit, can smell burnt clutch, due to the actuator issue. I will be replacing it this winter.
I have always had a dream of building a stroker. Right now I have the means to do it, and since I'm not getting any younger, getting to the age where dreams are getting harder to come by, my wife agreed with me that since I'm going to be doing the clutch this winter I might as well do the engine too.
I'm keeping my OE LS3 for a back up. Thought about using the OE block but honestly a complete new block isn't that much more. So having completely new short block done, with some new heads. Since I cant get a lot for the OE core I figured we might as well keep it for a back up.
My goal with the stroker is to build a naturally aspirated motor that gets 600 HP at the crank. At least that's my dream. If I don't get that much so be it. In the end its just a project that when all is said and done I want to be able to feel I accomplished something cool.
BTW... my wife is pretty good at driving the manual. I taught her myself.
She is totally on board with all this. But in the end she WILL want to drive it a lot. She drives it way more than I do. If its difficult to drive, or brakes down a lot she will not be happy with me.
So better to er on the side of dependability.

Lastly I would just like to add, the guys at Livernois have been very helpful to me. They're pretty much the only ones who have taken me serious in all of this. Some shops never return my calls, and one shop even went so far as to completely recommended against it. Livernois is very confidant in their work. They're close by me so no shipping fees, and easy to get the car there for tuning stuff. So I would really like to use their products.
I suppose I will be contacting them again this week and see if there are any other Cam options they have available. If not then I will order something from another manufacturer.

Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate it!
I can understand your loyalty to Livernois based on their willingness to work with you but I'll just be blunt, I don't like the narrow split that they use for their cams using rectangle port heads and if you look at the motors making the big useable power they typically have a wider split than Livernois' cams.....you're asking so I'm tellin' ya lol! Take a look at companies that have great success stories with the LS3 (TSP, BTR, etc) and you'll typically see that they typically use a double digit split (10 degrees or more) between intake and exhaust on their rectangle port cams. Good luck on whomever you decide upon!
Old 07-30-2017, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

From various sources, I've come to believe that Livernois was AT ONE TIME on the cutting edge, but are now relying on what they've had for 10-15 years, including old cam specs. Back in the day narrow splits were the order of the day for LS engines, but are no longer. If you want the latest in cam tech, go to Cam Motion, EPS, TPS, or anyone specializing in the LS engine. Livernois doesn't specialize in anything. They are a major general performance shop doing all makes and models. Jacks of all trades and masters of none.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Since you are keeping/storing the stock engine.
I would,
Have Livornois match their 416"/418" short block
To AFR LS3 Heads, Cam Motion 230*/240*
(8*-10* exhaust split would be plenty with those heads
Up to 6500 RPM) 114*+2* ~.610"/.600".
With 11.0:1 Compression and a good exhaust this would give
550 RWHP Easily (~640 @ Flywheel. with a good tune it would
Drive super mellow till you put your foot in it.
Still have Livornois do your build AND exceed your objectives
For Power & Driveability.
Just my .02
Good Luck
Old 07-30-2017, 04:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The afr ls3s arent better than the trick flows.
Why spend so much when the livernois ls3s can make that power anyway? They dont have to outsource and it appears he will be sticking with them for all the parts. a complete package from them that they know will work would be the best bet.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I will certainly be discussing this with Livernois. Although I have a feeling they're going to have their own ideas. You all know how that goes.
It's all good and I appreciate the input. If I didn't want to know I wouldn't have asked.
Want to do this right. That's the most important thing.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 416 LS3 should be up and running in a week or two.

We've gone with a Rick Crawford cam - 231 239 .622" .629" 111.

Quick Reply: Input on Camshaft selection