Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

MAST Black Label Head Failure...$20K motor destroyed. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I guess we're catching this a little late. Mast Motorsports is a quality outfit and they've been doing this a lot of years. We respect them. They do not use Trick Flow Specialties valves in any of their applications. They do not buy from us. They *may* buy components from some of the same suppliers we do, but that doesn't mean they are built to the same spec.

Now, comment two. We don't have control over where people put our products if they do not buy them directly from us or one of our authorized distributors. Our TFS-220 and others have an absolutely outstanding reputation for making power and holding up even with standard components way beyond reasonable expectation. This is because our heads are beyond excellent in terms of the machining, quality of components used, our castings, and the work our assembly team does. It doesn't mean they will live with a poor tune though. We have very lightweight naturally aspirated parts and we have severe duty parts and recommend as needed. One size does not fit all and what helps one may be completely wrong for another. If you have questions on whether the components that came will put up in extreme applications, call. It's free!

Next, we are looking at a comment from an unbelievably misinformed individual commenting on OUR valves being problematic. That's news to us. We ALSO have been in this business a long time and have an outstanding reputation for working with customers if they have a problem. Even when it's NOT a materials or workmanship issue, we often STILL help someone out of a jam of their own making with a reasonable discount. Is anyone witnessing a mass hysteria over TFS valves? No and that's because there are no issues when they are used in engines with even a half-way decent tune and are being used where they are intended.

Next, it pains us to see multiple valves dropped and carnage like that. Accept it. That wasn't a faulty valve when you see it happens in multiples in the same instant. The tune, setup, or build wasn't right. It takes a man of strong character to acknowledge it when clear evidence is presented by master engine builders and tuners in this trade that have been around the block once or twice. Double that to go back in and retract a statement made in error. By then, the damage is likely done anyway, so it's best to have a full understanding of the whole situation before commenting.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I included a pic of the valve supplier (Trick Titanium). They dont usually use that supplier, but they gad a sourcing issue with the normal 1 & 2 suppliers and since my heads were part of a “mis-cast” set, they likely went with what they could sourre. Re: your statrments. U have ignored the details presented and do what all the excuse makers do, point the finger. Feels good for the moment, but not a good long term business strategy. Future customers will secide if this incident/ data point matters.
Re: fault...here are the facts:
1.) The heads were purchased assembled. I and Mast confirmed the source of the valves ....hell we even talked about it. They commented that they wouldnt use them anymore because of the issue and their lack of response. Furthermore, i have communicated with MAST employees other than Chris and this isnt isolated. Ive recd communications with at least three other customers with similar issues. They just ate it and moved along.
2.). The car was on a Pat G BREAK-In tune. Valves dropped right b4 we were headed to track to track tune. Pat is one of the best and recognized tuner working today...try again!

3) MAST strung me along for 6 mos...said that they at least replace their faulty crap. Didnt happen. They even avoided my builder at PRI that year. Took repeated calls to even get sone response.

4). LASTLY, They never asked for the parts to inspect to see where the issue was..this showw me that either they had no interest in finding out if there was an issue or they knew and felt like if they stalled enough, Id go away and bo one would be the wiser. ....yeah, quality organization...lol! Ive worked for 3 OEM automakers...When there is a quality issue, each of them obtained parts to root-cause if they were serious about resolving the problem and preventing future occurrences. When they didnt, they werent.

Oh, BTW...Re: experts....well lets just say I have access to some of the best OEM engine and head designers/engineers in the business that saw what broke and where.

As Chris and I finished our conversation, I even offerred to split the bill, with all we had discussed...he complained that MAST was a mom and pop small shop....more and more bullshit.

In the end, i still have all the broken parts and a list of employees that can be hauled into court. Most of me wants to just move on, but its post like the one above that **** me off enuf to want to fight on. Nothing like paying $5K and being bent over and the offending party telling u its your fault without even looking at the details.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

I told KCS about the deal he brought up in the tune. A engine builder in Houston told me awhile back that Mast heads are NOT what people think they are.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

I think some people confused Trick Flow with Trick Titanium.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I told KCS about the deal he brought up in the tune. A engine builder in Houston told me awhile back that Mast heads are NOT what people think they are.
been going on spinning my mast heads 8000 rpm for quite a while. Good times guitar
Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah OP your first post says the culprit is Trick Flow Valves, you should go back and edit.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:41 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,579 Likes on 2,201 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
Yeah OP your first post says the culprit is Trick Flow Valves, you should go back and edit.
Yes...this is confusing. You said in post 1 that the valves are Trick Flow. So you are now saying that the valves are Trick Titanium? I asked in this thread back in Feb for clarity on this, by asking you for a part number on the valves.
So exactly what valves were in the engine, at the time it came apart? It would be wise of you, in my opinion, to clarify the information posted.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slogo
Agreed and corrected. It was an oversight on my part for not going back and correcting the original post after later discussing the valve supplier with Chris (Mast) and after subsequently receiving the original retail/wholesaler invoice. My apologies to Trick Flow for confusing them with Trick (Titanium).
Ironically, I dont hold anything against the valve maker. They make what they make. Its up to the actual part mfr to make sure the components meet the specs of what the product is intended for. When you take your car in for warranty, you don’t hit up the tier 2 supplier.

I want to provide an example of a premium part maker that goes above and beyond. I know that Precision sometimes gets a lot of flack, but I have purchased 4 turbos and 4 wastegates from them thru retail channels. On two seperate occasions/builds, I sent parts in that weren’t operating correctly. On each of those occasions, they didn’t say, “your fault”, not my problem. They instructed me to send the parts in for inspection/repair. I spoke with their techs to root cause the issues. In both those cases, repairs were made and feedback given. One of those cases was damage caused by this issue, which wasn’t their fault. Precision didnt charge me a dime either time and their turnaround was excellent. Needless to say, I will always look to them 1st for my turbo needs.

Last edited by EarlH; 09-13-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by EarlH

Agreed and corrected. It was an oversight on my part for not going back and correcting the original post after later discussing the valve supplier with Chris (Mast) and after subsequently receiving the original retail/wholesaler invoice. My apologies to Trick Flow for confusing them with Trick (Titanium).
Ironically, I dont hold anything against the valve maker. They make what they make. Its up to the actual part mfr to make sure the components meet the specs of what the product is intended for. When you take your car in for warranty, you don’t hit up the tier 2 supplier.

I want to provide an example of a premium part maker that goes above and beyond. I know that Precision sometimes gets a lot of flack, but I have purchased 4 turbos and 4 wastegates from them thru retail channels. On two seperate occasions/builds, I sent parts in that weren’t operating correctly. On each of those occasions, they didn’t say, “your fault”, not my problem. They instructed me to send the parts in for inspection/repair. I spoke with their techs to root cause the issues. In both those cases, repairs were made and feedback given. One of those cases was damage caused by this issue, which wasn’t their fault. Precision didnt charge me a dime either time and their turnaround was excellent. Needless to say, I will always look to them 1st for my turbo needs.
Thank you. 9,081 page views later.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
Thank you. 9,081 page views later.
Classy
Old 09-13-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair, I'd be pissed to have a thread bashing my product and it turned out to NOT be my product after all. Trick Flow have a right to feel aggrieved about their name being all over this thread. I have read every post and feel for EarlH - it sucks. And I am glad he apologised for the confusion. However, in defense of TrickFlow - this very issue (who made the failed valves) was raised much earlier in the thread and still the name Trick Flow was bashed, and that caused me to think I would not buy their valves, despite always thinking their head stuff was great... so who else was influenced?

The point being if we drop a buddy off a bridge by mistake while play fighting, then say sorry in hospital, he may forgive us, but the damage is still done.

Let's hope the motor ends up being everything it should be.... and that Trick Titanium no longer have bad runs, because they look like they are trying to make a quality product too. RHS blocks had quality control issues, as did Indy (mopar) - lot's of horror stories from bad batches and failed engines and customers who will never be back. The key was what the manufacturer did about the quality control issue. Based on who now uses RHS I'm going to say they stepped up and their blocks are now a quality piece... but until I try one for myself I won't know.... but I'm more likely to go Dart LS Next with MID sleeves because they simply have no bad press... which is my point
Old 09-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bazman
To be fair, I'd be pissed to have a thread bashing my product and it turned out to NOT be my product after all. Trick Flow have a right to feel aggrieved about their name being all over this thread. I have read every post and feel for EarlH - it sucks. And I am glad he apologised for the confusion. However, in defense of TrickFlow - this very issue (who made the failed valves) was raised much earlier in the thread and still the name Trick Flow was bashed, and that caused me to think I would not buy their valves, despite always thinking their head stuff was great... so who else was influenced?

The point being if we drop a buddy off a bridge by mistake while play fighting, then say sorry in hospital, he may forgive us, but the damage is still done.

Let's hope the motor ends up being everything it should be.... and that Trick Titanium no longer have bad runs, because they look like they are trying to make a quality product too. RHS blocks had quality control issues, as did Indy (mopar) - lot's of horror stories from bad batches and failed engines and customers who will never be back. The key was what the manufacturer did about the quality control issue. Based on who now uses RHS I'm going to say they stepped up and their blocks are now a quality piece... but until I try one for myself I won't know.... but I'm more likely to go Dart LS Next with MID sleeves because they simply have no bad press... which is my point
I want to again acknowledge my error. It was discovered after a lot of back and forth and I should have corrected things as soon as I found out.
I want to make one thing clear...My “issue” was never with the valve mfr...it was always with Mast and how they handled the situation. If they had done any of the due dilligence that is normally done when a potential quality spill is discovered, I would have respected their position more. It would would have provided some evidence that they wanted to get to see if there was a problem on their part.
TrickflowTEch’s post, aside from pointing out my error, further illustrates how some of these companies handle issues, again...before even asking for the parts to do a proper inspection or root cause (actions that demonstrate intent)...1.) Statement claiming that they understand/or that they are good guys 2.) Blame the Customer 3.) Blame the builder and 4.) Blame the tune..... what happens when there truly is an issue that is the fault of the mfr? This thinking, this mentality eventually catches up with all businesses at some point...If you want to sell premium products, step up and provide premium service to ALL customers.

I was able to afford the rebuild. It was a time and $$ nuisance, albeit. I take exception, cause I work hard for my money. However, what happens to the guy who has saved for years for a dream build?...
Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya.... when I was younger and stupid, I'd borrow money to finish the race car... that didn't end well ....with divorce lolz
Old 09-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Banned

However, what happens to the guy who has saved for years for a dream build?
Court or
I'd be at : 330 NW Stallings Dr, Nacogdoches, Tx. Horace would give me another set of heads! People generally avoid confrontation and if that don't work ......No comment! Phone conversation is one thing but to look someone in the eyes and say this isn't going down like this. It's a problem that can be avoided but if not. It isn't going down like this where I lose Thousands of dollars at the Fault of the company who sold me the heads with Defective parts. My court date or there court date 1 or the 2. I couldn't sleep knowing someone screwed me out of a few thousand....maybe a $100 but thousands. Not trying to be a tuff guy but I'm not willing to accept such a loss. Take one for the team no you take one for your team.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,579 Likes on 2,201 Posts

I want to again acknowledge my error. It was discovered after a lot of back and forth and I should have corrected things as soon as I found out.
I want to make one thing clear...My “issue” was never with the valve mfr...it was always with Mast and how they handled the situation. If they had done any of the due dilligence that is normally done when a potential quality spill is discovered, I would have respected their position more. It would would have provided some evidence that they wanted to get to see if there was a problem on their part.
TrickflowTEch’s post, aside from pointing out my error, further illustrates how some of these companies handle issues, again...before even asking for the parts to do a proper inspection or root cause (actions that demonstrate intent)...1.) Statement claiming that they understand/or that they are good guys 2.) Blame the Customer 3.) Blame the builder and 4.) Blame the tune..... what happens when there truly is an issue that is the fault of the mfr? This thinking, this mentality eventually catches up with all businesses at some point...If you want to sell premium products, step up and provide premium service to ALL customers.

I was able to afford the rebuild. It was a time and $$ nuisance, albeit. I take exception, cause I work hard for my money. However, what happens to the guy who has saved for years for a dream build?...
I have no skin in this game at all. The way I read TrickFlow’s post was that they knew that Mast did not use their valves, so there was no sense in asking you for anything. He simply showed up to a thread where you had falsely accused them for months of something that, again, he was aware that he wasn’t guilty of. If Mast was using their equipment, there would be a relationship there, and clearly he knew that it didn’t exist. I had doubts myself of Mast using TrickFlow valves, and that’s why several months back I asked you for part numbers on those valves. Perhaps confusion could have been avoided long ago, by someone doing an internet search, and coming across info that’s false. It happens all the time on the net.
Not sure if you guys spoke privately, but I feel that TrickFlow handled that WAY better than I would have as a business owner myself.
Glad to hear your build got straightened out, and I sincerely hope that Mast steps up and helps you some way in this mess.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Was the valve stem angle checked? I've seen a couple sets over the years with
the guides installed at the wrong angle in the head. Both sets broke the heads off the valve stem.

Just curious.. Both the supplier and the builder should
check the bare head on this kind of build..
Old 09-14-2018, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Was the valve stem angle checked? I've seen a couple sets over the years with
the guides installed at the wrong angle in the head. Both sets broke the heads off the valve stem.
Good question. It would be interesting to get the heads to an unbiased third party for inspection, and share the results. Pick a local machine shop, for example.

The fact that Mast didn't want to inspect speaks volumes to me though.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:39 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I don’t blame you for being upset over this experience, but to say something like this after falsely naming Trick Flow in all of this is pretty distasteful. You were wrong and they called you on it. They didn’t have ther facts mixed up, you did.

I placed an online order for Trickflow porters castings from summit a couple years ago because I wanted to have my own valves and CNC work done on them. THEY CALLED ME to make sure I knew what I was getting so that I wouldn’t be surprised to get a head without a valve job and finished chambers. Where customer service for other companies is usually reactive, Trickflow was proactive. They were not guilty of supplying the valves in your old heads and they are not guilty of your criticism either.

Last edited by KCS; 09-14-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,156 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Good call KCS! This whole thread says- TFS = The good guys; Mast, not so much....
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

Wow, this really sux as i eagerly await my Mast Black label 285cc ls7 heads. 5k worth orderd back in July. I hope im not ending up with crap. I showed my local engine builder this thread, he said no worries as he disassembles all heads before building the motor. In my case a RHS 427 LS7 for my 1st gen Nova. He says over the years, he s found and caught issues before with corrupt parts etc. Even from the best of manufacturers. Much easier to order new parts now than try n prove what happend after a catastrophic failure! It sux more builders do not do this

Quick Reply: MAST Black Label Head Failure...$20K motor destroyed. Need Help.