Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Bits of silicone in new crate LS3/480 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bits of silicone in new crate LS3/480 engine

Gents,
I am new to LS1tech and the LS3 engine. Building a SLC with a GM crate LS3/480 engine (new). Getting ready to fire this baby so I prelubed the engine with a drill motor pump. The oil is filtered through a 35 micron filter before it enters the left front oil galley. The 35 micron filter is overkill but it is what I had on hand. Saw 20psi oil pressure and pulled the valve cover off to check if oil was getting to the top of the engine and was surprised to see little bits of orange RTV on the rocker arms. I did not use any RTV in replacing the oil pan with the corvette pan or when I turned the valley cover around as the SLC is a mid engine car. Some pictures are attached.

Thanks for any help,
John

Close up of bits of RTV.

Small bits of RTV in the center of the rocker arm.

Taking delivery of SLC from RCR in Fraser MI.
h
Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Somehow the question I wanted in the post did not make it in the post. Is it normal to see bits of RTV in an LS3 crate engine?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

I would be asking this to the selling dealer.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Curious about what you find with this. Just took delivery of an LSX B15 376, these are the kinds of things I was hoping to avoid going with a factory assembled crate engine lol
Old 09-27-2018, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

That looks like the material under the heads of the rocker bolts. Look up a few pictures of a stock LS1 crank bolt and you'll recognize it. In my limited experience, you only see that when the bolt is loosened and re-tightened. That may be common in crate motors, though I didn't see it in my 2016 LS3 crate motor. At first glance, I don't think I'd be worried. Just blow it out, or better yet, vacuum it out. If you really want to go nuts, take the rocker bolts off and check under the heads. Use this as an opportunity to upgrade the bolts and trunnion bearings, as they're a documented weak point in an LS motor.

Also, BEAUTIFUL car!
Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Themealsonwheels,
I looked up pictures and I think you nailed it. I removed the small bits with a q-tip and vacuum. It is comforting to know where they are coming from and I agree with you that it is not a concern.

I really appreciate your help on this as I am new to the LS engine. This forum is awesome.
John
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

There is red locktite under the heads of those bolts. I always add a dab of high heat red when reinstalling. Crate engines have been very inconsistent in my experience although I have only had experience with BBC and SBC crate but the best advice I ever got from a local engine shop was to look at crate engine assembly as shipping packing. The parts are great and all brand new but the assembly should be gone over
Old 09-27-2018, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Cam, not saying you're wrong but sucks if that were the case with GM crate motors. Most guys purchase them because they are hoping to have the same failure rate as factory productions motors, which seems to be pretty low. I mean who does anything other than turn the key and beat the snot out of any new factory car? Though some of these specialty motors don't seem to be produced in the same place/way as the mass produced ones are.

i've had real
bad experiences with some of the non-factory crate motor manufacturers though.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:20 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It might be different now I dont know its been a long time since I or anyone I know has purchased a new crate engine. Small scale production on these compared to regular production and no warranty to worry about. For the cost of some new head bolts id go over it if it were mine but maybe Im off base, as I said its been a while and I can only guess, and say what I would do. The rest is up to the op