Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 engine noise! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 engine noise! Need help!

My 2008 Z06 developed a noise recently I can't seem to figure out. Removed the valve covers and all the rockers and pushrods are fine, engine still makes the noise with the belt removed. Oil pressure seems fine. It sound does get faster with the speed of the engine (when revving it). It's a high pitched knock/tap sound. I'm almost 100% certain it's not a lower end sound. Seems to be more from the top end. I'm thinking possibly a bad lifter? What do you guy think??? Any help is highly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7275.mov (4.68 MB, 37 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Another video
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7330.MOV (4.73 MB, 28 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you pull out the pushrods to make sure they aren’t bent? Any misfire codes?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

If it were mine, I’d pull the oil filter and inspect the filter element for any debris. If it checks out, pre-fill a new one, and install. Your probably aware of the LS7’s issues, being valve guides out of spec, which usually leads to a dropped valve, and the coating on the Ti rods flaking off at the rod shoulders. I don’t think either of the issues is affecting what you’ve got going on here. Hard to diagnose over the internet, but I wouldn’t drive it until it was fixed.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by milkey57
Did you pull out the pushrods to make sure they aren’t bent? Any misfire codes?
Originally Posted by Che70velle
If it were mine, I’d pull the oil filter and inspect the filter element for any debris. If it checks out, pre-fill a new one, and install. Your probably aware of the LS7’s issues, being valve guides out of spec, which usually leads to a dropped valve, and the coating on the Ti rods flaking off at the rod shoulders. I don’t think either of the issues is affecting what you’ve got going on here. Hard to diagnose over the internet, but I wouldn’t drive it until it was fixed.
i should've mentioned. Heads were replaced 20k miles ago for the valvetrain issues. Only 55k miles total on the car. We also already pulled the pushrods and rockers and they are all fine. No codes or CEL's at all.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do you have access to tuning software?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If the first heads failed @ 20k, you are now 35k
past that. Did you replace the heads with same?

Can you take an old timing light, and use it to flash compare the frequency of the sound? This could help you identify if upper or lower end.

You could pull each injector connector one by one to see if it is on one cylinder only.

I found a cracked flexplate once on an old 454, made sound you are saying, was nearly impossible to find.

Runs smooth, but I’d still do a compression and leak down on all 8 holes to try and figure it out.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick V.
do you have access to tuning software?
I dint at the moment but know someone who does
Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaBoat
If the first heads failed @ 20k, you are now 35k
past that. Did you replace the heads with same?

Can you take an old timing light, and use it to flash compare the frequency of the sound? This could help you identify if upper or lower end.

You could pull each injector connector one by one to see if it is on one cylinder only.

I found a cracked flexplate once on an old 454, made sound you are saying, was nearly impossible to find.

Runs smooth, but I’d still do a compression and leak down on all 8 holes to try and figure it out.
The first heads didn't actually fail, they weren't just slightly out of spec so I had it all replaced under warranty. Car ran fine and just had a slight valvetrain sound and that's why I took it in in the first place.

To me the sound is the same as the revolutions of the engine not the valvetrain which I think would be 1/2 the speed?

We also pulled each plug wire individually with the car on and the noise never changed.

Oil pressure seems good, 50-70 cold and gets no lower than 30 hot

Car runs super smooth and normal. It almost seems like something is just swinging around and hitting something with each revolution. No idea
Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

"It almost seems like something is just swinging around and hitting something with each revolution."

That's what it sounds like to me also. Not that I'd want to keep running it to diagnose the problem out of fear it's something internal but you may need to invest in an engine stethoscope but before I did anything else I'd verify that all your pulley's are tight and clear/free of obstructions.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a lifter to me. Need a teardown.