Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

3000 miles on fresh motor, glistening stripper glitter in oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000 miles on fresh motor, glistening stripper glitter in oil

Engine specs down belowwww.
Assembled it to spec, runs absolutely amazing, no unusual noises, amazing oil pressure at idle, cruise and wot...oil pressure has stayed the same since day one, 39, 40 hot idle, up to 65 PSI wot. I tune myself and got the fuel trims in line right away along with drivability, did multiple pulls up to 6400 rpm and oil pressure has maintained good. I've changed the oil multiple times up to the 3000 mile point. I changed it the first 20 min upon initial start, then 300 miles, then again 500 miles, etc....I just did another oil change and I'm still seeing stripper glitter, barely nothing on magnetic drain plug.
I cut open my filter, this is my filter I just pulled off with about 1000 miles . Saw some bearing material, is this ok?

cast iron 6.2l, meaning my gen iv 6.0 bored to 4.065, honed, seasoned ls3 flat top pistons, seasoned crank .010 over. melling high pressure oil pump, tsp cam stage 2 ls3 cam, square port heads, (cleaned up at head shop) new double layer valve springs, new chain, new cam retainer plate, new rear oil barbell, new head mls gaskets, arp head bolts, plasma moly mahle piston rings.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Seeing as none stuck to the magnet makes me think it's copper. Did you install a new oil cooler with this engine?
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Send the oil in to have it lab tested.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
Send the oil in to have it lab tested.
This is definitely the textbook answer.

The non-textbook answer is: That looks fine, let her eat.

When I did engine testing for ______, we always had an "oberg" filter that would catch most debris, before passing through several paper-element filters:

Every engine I ever tested generated metal, including those built by top names in the industry, for huge-dollar racing classes. If what you're showing is ALL the metal your engine is generating, I'd say you done good, son.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme
This is definitely the textbook answer.

The non-textbook answer is: That looks fine, let her eat.

When I did engine testing for ______, we always had an "oberg" filter that would catch most debris, before passing through several paper-element filters:

Every engine I ever tested generated metal, including those built by top names in the industry, for huge-dollar racing classes. If what you're showing is ALL the metal your engine is generating, I'd say you done good, son.

I love you.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:18 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Just a WAG, but it seems to me like the engine went together a little dirty. The oil filter looks like it caught some debris that was maybe left over from the machine shop “cleaning up” the heads.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Just a WAG, but it seems to me like the engine went together a little dirty. The oil filter looks like it caught some debris that was maybe left over from the machine shop “cleaning up” the heads.
Agreed. Prolly some machining “dust”.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thank you for your replies

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Those pieces also are not magnetic. I tried every piece with a magnet....why is my oil like stripper glitter though? How many more miles will it be this way?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Pretty hard for us out here to answer that...

Change the oil and see what you get. If it's machining dust such as from hand head porting, there should be FAR less of it in the future, and it should eventually disappear.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Pretty hard for us out here to answer that...

Change the oil and see what you get. If it's machining dust such as from hand head porting, there should be FAR less of it in the future, and it should eventually disappear.
Heads were not ported....just cleaned up meaning slightly milled, 3 angle valve job
Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you sure they're not magnetic? The magnet might not have enough strength to pull the little pieces off of the oily filter. I have seen it before. Try to clean a few of the particles really well with brake clean or whatever and then see if they stick to a magnet. They need to be clean, though. If they're oily, you won't know if it's the oil or the magnetism causing them to stick to the magnet.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Are you sure they're not magnetic? The magnet might not have enough strength to pull the little pieces off of the oily filter. I have seen it before. Try to clean a few of the particles really well with brake clean or whatever and then see if they stick to a magnet. They need to be clean, though. If they're oily, you won't know if it's the oil or the magnetism causing them to stick to the magnet.

100% not magnetic, I lifted a piece off, no oil, and tried placing it on the magnet and it isnt magnetic
Old 04-03-2019, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cam bearing glitter?
Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
Cam bearing glitter?

I sure hope not, put brand new sealed power cam bearings in
Old 04-04-2019, 08:24 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I wouldn’t worry unless the oil pressure drops or it starts making noise.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I would agree if that's all the little specs you see and pressure is good let it eat. I had an engine that constantly looked like it had stripper glitter in the oil and had some metal in the filter - tad more then you. I would check bearings in the winter and they wouldn't be that bad but I would replace them and send it. Oil still looked like crap and engine still ran great for years no idea why it looked the way it did but it ran great so whatever.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

My 5.5 (turbocharged) showed fine glitter in the oil. I cut filters and they were always spotless.

I pulled the engine over the winter just because I saw some light scuffs in the cylinder walls with the bore scope.

It turned out it was eating the thrust bearing.

Might be worth checking crank end play. Thrust failures aren’t all that uncommon.

Good luck!

Ron
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You didn't say what sort of heads you are using, such as those with bronze valve guides. If its bearing material, it should show up as grey first before indicating copper. I would think from what you indicated that the glitter comes from the valve train.

I think its OK, just keep an I on it and watch the valve train.