Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

School me on big cubic inch LSx builds

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Its from July 19'. Oh trust me, I fought with my builder tooth n nail when he first wanted to use it. He said that was way long ago and only on a few high hp boosted builds. I was skeptical myself knowing the Dart aluminum block was well within budget. I dont expect to find that issue. He gave me a handshake guarantee on that matter. I havnt read or noticed any newer threads on that for quite awhile.
If any builder would warranty an aftermarket block to only 1100hp I wouldn't touch it.
You may as well use an ls9 block.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

As if any warranty in this hobby is honored anyways...its always someone elses fault. Like a 50yr roof shingle warranty. Ever hear of one being warrantied? Not likely.
What is the Dart SHP block warrantied for? And how do they determine you were making XYZ hp?
I seriously doubt thats the issue. If it is, he s buying it from me bcuz he assured me it was a non issue. I originally wanted to go with the Dart for that very reason. He said if we were doing boost, he d agree. There werent any other decision factors im aware of in his mind. But who knows, anything is possible. Its leaking sum where under the intake manifold/valley cover area. We can hear it while under pressure test. Faintly. I dunno. I d rather not speculate anymore until we know for sure.
The sound is louder and more pronounced when block is warm(er). When its cold, it damn near holds pressure. Leaks down ever so slightly. Im not sure what all that means, but when its hot, it defly leaks worse.

Last edited by rkupon1; 10-28-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

As if any warranty in this hobby is honored anyways...its always someone elses fault. Like a 50yr roof shingle warranty. Ever hear of one being warrantied? Not likely.
What is the Dart SHP block warrantied for? And how do they determine you were making XYZ hp?
Dart don't offer a warranty.
They only give an approximation of what the block can handle.
For the normal SHP iron it's rated at around 1500hp but it's most likely conservative.
I'm sure it can be pushed closer to 2000hp.
The Pro Iron like mine is rated to 2500hp but can probably go higher.
This is only the block. You will obviously need stronger internals that can handle that much hp too,
I will never know the power limits of this block as I will never have that much power.
The point is, the confidence level in the RHS block does not sound good to me regardless of any warranty.
Which is why I said you may as well use the LS9 block.
My builder has the Dart LS Next race block in his drag car. He runs a massive single turbo at 60PSI.
After many years, it's still going strong.
The price of the Dart compared to an LSX or GM block was just too good to pass up.
I got the block at the right time because now, with the crappy exchange rate, the price has gone up quite a lot.
I know you hate iron and I'm not trying to sway you to it.
Just saying my thoughts.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

I seriously doubt thats the issue. If it is, he s buying it from me bcuz he assured me it was a non issue. I originally wanted to go with the Dart for that very reason. He said if we were doing boost, he d agree. There werent any other decision factors im aware of in his mind. But who knows, anything is possible. Its leaking sum where under the intake manifold/valley cover area. We can hear it while under pressure test. Faintly. I dunno. I d rather not speculate anymore until we know for sure.
The sound is louder and more pronounced when block is warm(er). When its cold, it damn near holds pressure. Leaks down ever so slightly. Im not sure what all that means, but when its hot, it defly leaks worse.
I'm also very curious to know what is causing that issue too.
I had a similar situation with low oil pressure on my old engine.
A scuffed cam bearing was causing the issue.
It was so frustrating.
I can understand how you are feeling.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Have you picked a motor builder yet?

As you said earlier, I think you shouldn't take internet advice. If it were me, I'd send everything to a builder with a good history, let them decide what can be reused to meet your goals.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Maybe! Lol. I have a pretty good idea of what we re doing next. It doesnt mean I still dont like the discussion/forum aspect of it. Some of it is useful...especially the personal experiances.

Quick Reply: School me on big cubic inch LSx builds