Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rollmaster CS1190 timing set installation question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Jorgzee1, that picture of the gear drive rock.

⚙️ ⚙️ Gear drive for the win!

Back home in the 90's, a guy ran around in a 3rd Gen Camaro w/ 305 V8, telling everyone he had a supercharger. They heard the gear ⚙️ whine and they believed. Long time no one would mess with him at a stoplight etc.He wouldn't EVER go to the track. 16 second car had a noisy gear drive timing set & nothing else.

😆 🤣 😂😆 🤣 😂

He finally admitted to this BS as an adult years later.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:17 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickyinks
I went to the double roller after stretching a c5r chain. Singles have been breaking if they havnt used a quality harmonic balancer.
i think rollmaster have 5 different length chains for ls so you can get them so theres minimal slack.. I have the cam plate with grooves so no need to camfor, dont know how i got it tho
This is one thing I see neglected that seems to impact a lot. I've chased many problems back to balancer issues.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,051 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Jorgzee1, that picture of the gear drive rock.

⚙️ ⚙️ Gear drive for the win!

Back home in the 90's, a guy ran around in a 3rd Gen Camaro w/ 305 V8, telling everyone he had a supercharger. They heard the gear ⚙️ whine and they believed. Long time no one would mess with him at a stoplight etc.He wouldn't EVER go to the track. 16 second car had a noisy gear drive timing set & nothing else.

😆 🤣 😂😆 🤣 😂

He finally admitted to this BS as an adult years later.
Now THAT'S a JIM DANDY!!! BTW, I agree with DarthV8r on harmonics. BIG problem if not minimized. I once saw an LS7 head cracked in half!! It was on a road race C6. Had a shaft rocker setup, and the builder thought it had to be something in the harmonics. A roadrace engine is a whole different thing as far as building a reliable engine is concerned. A lot of us are foot-to-the-floor for 10, 11, 12 seconds. Roadrace motors are sometimes hour after hour, IF they can last that long. I always thought that a story I read about the original SBC said it all. It was talking about how dominant the engine was in all areas of competition. Then the next sentence said " Only Indy's brickyard has eluded the little Chevy." So endurance will always be a problem for consumer designed engines.....
Old 02-16-2022, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
On my original heads/cam ls1 car i owned many years ago it did 70k miles of street/strip beatings and went threw several different cam swaps. I used the same Rollmaster double red series chain from the beginning. The final day i pulled it down to swap out the cam/heads and return the car to standard to sell it, the rollmaster chain was still tight. I was impressed and sold on them ever since. Not saying other chains don't work but i don't see the double roller is a detriment. Now for people like Mick above running heavy springs because large solid roller... the extra force required to turn the cam against the heavy springs is being transferred from the crank through the chain. The chain takes even more of a beating. So why would you risk a single chain when the double has been proven reliable for decades in not just LS's but everything else as well.

Worst part for me was having to clearance the timing cover on my current LS2 for the double chain, was probably more of a pita than the entire engine build. I never had to clearance it on my ls1's for the double chain. I didn't bother looking into why that is or what the difference is, i just got the die grinder out until it fit.
Its not a risk on a single chain. Literally no one can quantify that. There are too many running singles at well over 7k rpm and with any spring you can imagine and any amount of boost or lobe design for it to be anything other that real world proof. On endurance and drag and daily.

The literal unicorn of the LS timing chain mythos the IRL chain is a single roller. Had a double roller been better at any point, they would have used it, and gm would have adopted it into every mill from then on, just like they did previously in other generations of engines OR offered it as a "performance part" option so they could use it in racing bodies with tight rules. Its not. So they didnt. Its literally that easy to look at.

Many of you may not know the history behind the chain because it was gone for a while then reintroduced then gone again, but quite a few know about the IRL and the abuse their engines go through and how turned up they are.

Its not "cheap insurance" when the single rollers hasnt been proven a weak link at all. Even the stock ls1 or ls2 chain. More work for the same outcome seems counterintuitive.

As for the gear drives.....GoTTA Ask bArb about dem whiney gears when i crank my hog GOBBLES
G Atsma (02-17-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
More work for the same outcome seems counterintuitive.
amen dude.
G Atsma (02-17-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For future reference could someone provide the
SAGear single LS roller part number?

LS3 (4x) stock 1 bolt version set seems to be part number
78935T-9
LS3 (4x) 3 bolt version single roller.
08-9036t-9

Last edited by jorgezee1; 02-25-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Adding part number
Old 02-19-2022, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
Hey Brick could the counter sink be used in a drill press?

link?
Wasn't able to get to it last weekend but here it is. The used one I have just barely fits a 1/2 chuck. It fits 9/16 collet for my mill. I dont have a speed adjustment for my mill but it does the job. Takes longer to set up and center it then it does to make the 2mm chamfer...

RedXray (04-02-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:29 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,575 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Wasn't able to get to it last weekend but here it is. The used one I have just barely fits a 1/2 chuck. It fits 9/16 collet for my mill. I dont have a speed adjustment for my mill but it does the job. Takes longer to set up and center it then it does to make the 2mm chamfer...

I like this. Great post!
Old 02-20-2022, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I like this. Great post!
Thank you! Happy to share.
Maybe it will help others.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jorgezee1
For future reference could someone provide the
SAGear single LS roller part number?

78935T-9
08-9036t-9

Old 04-03-2022, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 690 Likes on 479 Posts

Those applications look a whole lot more like sprocket sets with NO pulses per rev. Motors in those years used a cam sensor in the back of the block that looked at a feature on the cam. There was no "pulse" feature on the cam sprocket whatsoever.

Neither of those applications (which all consist of the same part #s) will work in a LS3, which needs the 4x cam sprocket.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Those applications look a whole lot more like sprocket sets with NO pulses per rev. Motors in those years used a cam sensor in the back of the block that looked at a feature on the cam. There was no "pulse" feature on the cam sprocket whatsoever.

Neither of those applications (which all consist of the same part #s) will work in a LS3, which needs the 4x cam sprocket.
Agreed, the image posted by SnIpEz is not for LS3 engines. He might have just wanted to add more part numbers to the thread, as he highlighted 5.7 applications.

The LS3 4X sensor part numbers are what I listed earlier. To be clear, these are "SA GEAR" part numbers not Roller Master part numbers.

78935T-9
08-9036t-9
Old 04-04-2022, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

I’ve had the roll master single in my ls3 block for 2 years now without issues. I did have the paper about modifying my cam retainer in my kit so I did so.

I run a stock crank, Procharged at 20 psi, shifting at 7200 rpm. Cam has .621 lift on the intake, pushrods are summit 11/32 .120 wall and rockers are ws6store max effort.

Quick Reply: Rollmaster CS1190 timing set installation question