Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

(L99 to LS3) Crank will not rotate after Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default (L99 to LS3) Crank will not rotate after Cam Install

Fellas,

I think this is my 1st post. So, hello. I normally try to use the search as much as possible so no need to post. I usually mess up more than I help too. However, today in my searches, I didn't find anything for my specific problem. I've also posted this over on camaro5 forum, but it appears there's more engine related material over here at LS1. Sorry for the long post, but just needing to know where I might have goofed.

Engine is a L99 in a 2010 Camaro, & here's the modification I'm attempting:
1) Delete DOD but keeping VVT
2) Installing VVT1.2 Cam from TSP with new lifters
3) Upgraded Rockers with Trunion Kit
4) Installed Valve New Springs & Seals
5) New Retainers
6) New Push Rods
7) New Head bolts - TTY
8) New Cam Bolt - TTY
9) New Crank Bolt - TTY
10) New Head Gaskets

Problem: Crank will only rotate 90 degrees before locking up hard. It will lock running Counter Clockwise, or Clockwise. It would make one think a piston stop was being used.

Assembly of the engine at this point in time:
1) Cam & Lifters in
2) Heads On & Torqued
3) Timing Chain On (VVT Phaser on Timing Gear) & Torqued
4) Harmonic Balancer On & Torqued
5) Timing Cover On

Not assembled - for troubleshooting and to take any "timing" issues out of the equation.
1) Spark Plugs Out (to make rotation easier since valves are not actuating)
2) Rocker Arms Off
3) Pushrods Out

I wish I had tried rotating the engine before I installed the heads and balancer. Now all the fasteners are throw away if I have to disassemble. I've built lots of old big block chevy's but this is my first LS. Dadgum it.

Any advice on what's going on, or how to dissect it in order to save the most money on having to rebuy the bolts & gaskets??

(Yes I could've dropped something in the cylinders while the heads were off, but I've borescoped it, and I don't see anything.)

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-14-2022, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not worth risking it. Pull apart in till you find what’s causing it to lock. With the valve train being out I would guess the problem is with the cam considering you didn’t do anything to the crank. I’d pull the front cover off 1st based on what you said.

Last edited by 183beast; 02-14-2022 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

You could pull the timing cover/chain off, pull the cam out and see if the crank will rotate then.
The following 2 users liked this post by theunderlord:
dixiebandit69 (02-15-2022), wannafbody (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 532 Likes on 412 Posts

Check that the cam retaining plate bolts aren't too long.
KCS (02-18-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:48 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Another thought if the cam retainer bolts are not the issue is the HG bore smaller than the cylinder bore by accident?
The following 3 users liked this post by Darth_V8r:
G Atsma (02-23-2022), handyandy497 (02-23-2022), Jimbo1367 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Was the Phaser/kit installed that limits ~50 degrees of cam phasing to 20 degrees of phasing installed?

I may have over looked that in the OP's post but didn't think it was mentioned.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:32 PM
Teching In

It’s the original phaser,…but I think I’ve dropped something down in the block below the cam evidently. Timing gear & chain is off, and crank will not rotate. Guess I’m pulling cam back out. Working on it now,…
Old 02-15-2022, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

You can’t turn the crank with the timing chain off unless you have undone all the rockers so none of the valves are open. It sounds like you didn’t install the phaser right into the cam. It’s been a while but I believe there are two holes on the back of the phaser. One is for the alignment pin the other is to feed oil to the solenoid/actuator. Makes sure you put the alignment pin in the right hole. The oil passage is smaller then the alignment pin hole but I’ve seen someone install the alignment pin in the cam into the oil passage hole when I worked at a GM dealer
Old 02-15-2022, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
You can’t turn the crank with the timing chain off unless you have undone all the rockers so none of the valves are open. It sounds like you didn’t install the phaser right into the cam. It’s been a while but I believe there are two holes on the back of the phaser. One is for the alignment pin the other is to feed oil to the solenoid/actuator. Makes sure you put the alignment pin in the right hole. The oil passage is smaller then the alignment pin hole but I’ve seen someone install the alignment pin in the cam into the oil passage hole when I worked at a GM dealer
In OPs 1st post he says the rockers are off and crank still won't rotate.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:19 AM
Teching In

I’ve definitely dropped something down in the block below the cam evidently. Timing gear & chain is off, and crank will not rotate at all now. Jammed hard. But, cam rotated fine. So I guess I’m gonna yank the entire engine and flip it upside down. I tried fishing with a magnet, while looking with a borescope, and got nothing.

Any good advice (or links) to pulling the motor? Top, bottom, sideways, downways upways, etc??? I’m so pissed. Everything is pretty much outta the engine bay now except the A/C system. Would like to leave A/C compressor in the engine bay and not lose all the freon.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Have you pulled the cam retainer plate off yet?
Old 02-16-2022, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
Have you pulled the cam retainer plate off yet?
Yes, the cam is out, and lifters up with a dowel rods supporting. Jammed hard. Won't even budge now. Whatever it is, I imagine it's laying between a journal & a rod. I knew what your were thinking. I'll take advice on some good fishing for foreign objects in the bottom of a motor tho. ; )
Old 02-16-2022, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

If you can see what it is that has you jammed you can get a 3-pronged grabber or magnet on a telescoping stick from one of the box auto parts stores.

You can try unbolting the engine mounts and drop the K-member down some and take the oil pan off. May have to remove the trans and Fly wheel/Flix plate. To me this maybe easier than pulling the whole engine.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
If you can see what it is that has you jammed you can get a 3-pronged grabber or magnet on a telescoping stick from one of the box auto parts stores.

You can try unbolting the engine mounts and drop the K-member down some and take the oil pan off. May have to remove the trans and Fly wheel/Flix plate. To me this maybe easier than pulling the whole engine.
Yes, it does. I think I'll give that a shot. I really like the suggestion of making a "bolt in X-member" that was suggested over on Camaro5 https: (//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqekORDMu8). Very cool idea if I could execute it well. I can fabricate & weld fairly well. Then we could drop the pan whenever we needed to.

Thanks for your idea as well.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,051 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeB
Yes, it does. I think I'll give that a shot. I really like the suggestion of making a "bolt in X-member" that was suggested over on Camaro5 https: (//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqekORDMu8). Very cool idea if I could execute it well. I can fabricate & weld fairly well. Then we could drop the pan whenever we needed to.

Thanks for your idea as well.
Sorry to hear of any trouble, especially trouble like this. Curious as to why you 'think' you dropped something into the engine? Not trying to insult you, but you did put plenty of assembly lube on the rods and mains, correct? Please keep us posted as to what you find, and good luck to you.......
Old 02-18-2022, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grinder11
Sorry to hear of any trouble, especially trouble like this. Curious as to why you 'think' you dropped something into the engine? Not trying to insult you, but you did put plenty of assembly lube on the rods and mains, correct? Please keep us posted as to what you find, and good luck to you.......
No insult taken my friend. This was just a cam change. The short block stayed together.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I’m confused how you could of dropped something down into the oil pan that could stop the engine from turning and not realize. It would actually have to go on top of the windage tray for it to stop the crank from turning. I would think you would know if you dropped something like that down the opening. A bolt I could see and you not realize but that’s not going to stop the engine from turning like this. It would fall down to the bottom of the pan most likely too
bbond105 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

No insult taken my friend. This was just a cam change. The short block stayed together.
I was going to add it could be you didn't have some of the lifters fully seated in the tray, and some turned. Guess that's not it......
Old 02-20-2022, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Since I can’t rotate the engine, there’s no way for me to get to the tq converter bolts. And, I’m having no luck with the converter sliding out of the transmission, besides the issue of the block being stuck to the bell housing. Taking a tremendous amount of force to split the block from the tranny. All 8 bolts are out.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Since I can’t rotate the engine, there’s no way for me to get to the tq converter bolts. And, I’m having no luck with the converter sliding out of the transmission, besides the issue of the block being stuck to the bell housing. Taking a tremendous amount of force to split the block from the tranny. All 8 bolts are out.
I don't know about the Camaro's, but in a C5 A4, there's a pinch bolt on the flexplate/flywheel/starter ring gear connecting the female output splines of the flexplate to the male input splines of the torque tube/trans. This may be the case for you, idk. The manuals, of course, don't have any pinchbolt. Hope this helps.....

Quick Reply: (L99 to LS3) Crank will not rotate after Cam Install