Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L96 cam dowel failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default L96 cam dowel failure

I just bought a 2016 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0 L96 VVT engine. I bought it cheap and non running knowing that it may need a new engine, but I wanted to see if I could fix this one first. Did compression tests on 3 different cylinders and got less than 20psi on each. Rockers still moved like they should, so I removed the timing cover, pulled the cam sprocket off and found the smoking gun....the camshaft dowel sheared off and the sprocket spun about 1/3 of a turn. Obviously these are interference engines so next step is to pull the heads and see what the damage is. Crossing my fingers that the cylinders are OK and I can just throw a set of heads and a VVT cam delete kit into this thing and be on my way. What is the simplest/cheapest way to tune these trucks if I delete VVT and just use a stock or mild towing cam?

Old 09-28-2022, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Why would you want to delete the VVT?
I wouldn't be surprised if you find a dropped valve when you open the engine up, defiantly wouldn't be the first one ive seen.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:29 AM
Launching!

I can delete VVT and tune it for more HP and better MPG and reliability. If this was a normal, non VVT 3 bolt cam, the sprocket could not have spun even if the cam dowel somehow broke. With this 1 bolt VVT cam it allowed the sprocket to spin and likely was the cause of the broken dowel in the first place since it is just one large bolt in the center of the cam. The latter is just my opinion, but this truck has high miles and I would like to replace the lifters while I am in here and may as well replace the cam and do a tune. I am not going to be surprised if there are some damaged pistons and valves, but we will see...
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find out if there was valve damage done to the engine? I have a 2015 gmc with 6.0 in it. Was at idle and just shut off. No engine turns over like there is no compression. The engine was running smooth with no signs of anything wrong. Not even a check engine light.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,141 Likes on 2,449 Posts

OP hasn't been around for over a year.
Old Today, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,033 Likes on 734 Posts

@NastyNate65 Hey, guy-Did you find a solution/carnage/whatever???! I hate dead threads where OPs leave us hanging. If you're still above ground and receive the tag, please respond......

Last edited by grinder11; Today at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (Today)
Old Today, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Hey there. This engine ended up having 3 cam bearings spun and welded to the cam. I pulled the engine and rebuilt it. The block wasn't damaged by the spun cam bearings. I had a machine shop clean the block and install new cam bearings, as well as polish/machine the crankshaft. There was barely a scuff on a few pistons from valves touching. I replaced all 8 pistons and re used the cylinder heads. Put everything together and it ran great! I drove it 1000 miles and sold it.
Old Today, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikef0821
Did you ever find out if there was valve damage done to the engine? I have a 2015 gmc with 6.0 in it. Was at idle and just shut off. No engine turns over like there is no compression. The engine was running smooth with no signs of anything wrong. Not even a check engine light.
I would not be surprised if your cam dowel broke. Doesn't take too long to remove the timing cover and have a look.
Old Today, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Cam bearing welded to camshaft

I cut the cam bearing off the camshaft with a dremel

You can see where the valves kissed the pistons

The following users liked this post:
Ls7colorado (Today)
Old Today, 11:03 AM
Launching!

I put the truck to work immediately
This was my first complete engine rebuild. Everything went according to plan, although it took longer than I anticipated. Mostly due to waiting on the machine shop. But those guys are always busy so it is what it is.

Quick Reply: L96 cam dowel failure