Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Engine rebuild gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

I haven't had any issues with the Durabond cam bearings But I always verify I have the right set for the block I am working on.

Try a different weight oil and new filter see how it responds.

There is plenty of things that can be done before a complete tear down.

The reason I mentioned the Pan oil pressure relief is because in some cases they were bleeding off pressure and causing a low pressure issue for some higher mileage engines. As soon as they installed a block off the Pressure went up to around 50-60 PSI.

Try the thicker oil first, and see how it responds. If it still similar issue, then you can drop the pan and do some more inspections and make changes.

On the upper plate the o rings are important so if you didn't install them or it fell off that could be an issue.

The following users liked this post:
Billh1961 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a
  • Valley Cover: - ICT Billet DOD delete valley Valley Cover with oil sensor adapter (ICT #551605 & 551623). Includes seal and bolts.
    yes i installed the o rings. Could one have fallin off ?? I doubt it i checked them real good.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Thermally related oil pressure issues (pressure dropping when temps get hot) will be a bearing clearance issue. O-ring problems will not cause pressure drop with temps.
Trying a thicker oil is only an indicator and not the fix.
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Thicker oil and pressure is better will prove bearing clearance issue. If no improvement then?
Rod bearings or cam bearings? Well not good!
So we can rule out o rings, oil pressure relief valve and oil pressure switch. I was thinking i would replace the oil pressure switch and plug the oil pan pressure release valve. If i have the pan off should i recheck the bearing clearances? If they are in spec then its cam bearings?
Is it to much clearance or to little clearance?
What a mess!

Old Today, 08:53 AM
Teching In

I connected the diablo sport i3 tuner and it read the oil pressure correctly. So maybe bad oil pressure sensor?
How does it get its signal different from cluster gauge?
i wish i would have installed a new oil pressure sensor when it was easy to get too. But thats easy fix if thats all this is.
Old Today, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the cluster isn't reporting the same as a scanner and guage you have problems in the cab wiring maybe just even the cluster.

You really need a guage
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild gone wrong!