Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 with LS1 knock sensors ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 with LS1 knock sensors ...

I thought I saw something about this awhile back, but have been unable to find it lately.

what solutions have people come up with regarding making the LS1 knock sensors work on the LS2. I thought I heard awhile back that someone tapped a hole on the side of the block, but I don't remember how it turned out.

Any info would be great.

Also, I'm planning on using stock gapped TR-6 spark plugs on the new 402ci LS2 ... good, or should I use the TR-55's?

Old 06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I take it the LS2 knock sensors are not good or give false readings?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
I take it the LS2 knock sensors are not good or give false readings?
The LS2 sensors will not work correctly with the LS1 PCM, which is what I am using. From what I've heard, the LS2 KS's send the signal to the computer differently than the LS1 sensors do, causing it not to work correctly. The LS1 sensors are also too large to fit in the holes the LS2 sensors are supposed to fit in.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I remember there are a couple tapped holes that are unused on both sides of the lower block. But they could only fit the two sensors on the passenger side. They also logged some minor knock that looked similar to that logged on a LS1, so they felt it was functioning ok.Hope that helps, it was all from memory.

I'll let you know more in a few weeks when I get my 412 in the car. We seem to have all the parts now we just need to get it assembled. Its not even in the car and it is demanding clutch upgrades, my Spec 3 seems to be dead. So a Street Twin will have to do.

Rampant
Old 06-03-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a C6 so I'm ok?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
I have a C6 so I'm ok?
Yes. C6's have LS2 motors so you'll be fine.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
From what I remember there are a couple tapped holes that are unused on both sides of the lower block. But they could only fit the two sensors on the passenger side. They also logged some minor knock that looked similar to that logged on a LS1, so they felt it was functioning ok.Hope that helps, it was all from memory.
Yeah, that is what I thought. Anyone have anymore information on this?

Also, will the TR-6 plugs be good for the 402?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious just how different the pin-out is on the ls1 harness vs. the ls2. It can't be that hard to rewire the harness and use a ls2 ecm.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by technical
I'm curious just how different the pin-out is on the ls1 harness vs. the ls2. It can't be that hard to rewire the harness and use a ls2 ecm.

I'm not sure ... but why go through all the work when the only thing that isn't compatiable is two knock sensors .... which aren't even that necessary given a good tune. If I remember right, I also heard something about the LS1 PCM being equal to, or better than, the LS2 PCM from a tuning stand-point.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by technical
I am pretty sure all versions of LS2's are DBW. Some LS1s are DBW some are not. That would be a much larger hurdle than just knock sensors.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Guys - There is alot information about this very subject (including pictures) in this forum. Do a search and you will find it.

Briefly, LS1 Knock sensors have been successfully retrofitted to the LS2 block. You have to tap the existing hole to make them work. One problem is they stick out and will interfere will some long tube headers. I know of only one here (Perry?) that actually went through with the installation of the sensors; he seems to be fine with them. Personally after talking to a couple of sponsors and realizing the sensors might have clearance issues with the 1-7/8" QTP's I am not running them.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Guys,
I have FLP headers and I was able to install the LS1 KS on the driver side using pre-existing holes in the block. You don't even have to retap the holes, they are the same thread size. I am awaiting a tune so I can't say how they repond to being there but there def is no fitment issue with FLP LTs.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by NEW402
Guys,
I have FLP headers and I was able to install the LS1 KS on the driver side using pre-existing holes in the block. You don't even have to retap the holes, they are the same thread size. I am awaiting a tune so I can't say how they repond to being there but there def is no fitment issue with FLP LTs.
Anyone else have a block that has the correct knock sensor hole sizes? I have never heard this before, what company built your shortblock, maybe they tapped the hole to fit the sensor already?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Anyone else have a block that has the correct knock sensor hole sizes? I have never heard this before, what company built your shortblock, maybe they tapped the hole to fit the sensor already?
Scoggin Dickey built the shortblock and I did not request it so I doubt they tapped it. Could there be different knock sensors between the LS1 years? My KSs are off a 99 LS1. I used the 2 holes that were just behind the motor mounts. No tapping was involved at all.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Scoggin Dickey built the shortblock and I did not request it so I doubt they tapped it. Could there be different knock sensors between the LS1 years? My KSs are off a 99 LS1. I used the 2 holes that were just behind the motor mounts. No tapping was involved at all.
I installed both LS6 knock sensors in my 402 in already existing holes near the motor mount, driver's side. No tapping was needed. They appear to be working perfectly, as I have seen knock retard on my tuning logs under certain situations (low rpm/high load, as I expected). I have not seen "false knock" at all.

The wire harness is pretty darn close to my headers, but OK. I had to extend the wires to reach.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:17 AM

Wow, what a weird situation. Maybe it is just certain year ones as you said? I will go check mine out tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mr2guru
I am pretty sure all versions of LS2's are DBW. Some LS1s are DBW some are not. That would be a much larger hurdle than just knock sensors.
What's DBW?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:31 AM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

There are several different holes in each side of the LS2 block that can be for the LS1/LS6 knock sensor. We have successfuly done this at our shop. All you have to do is extend the harness to each side, and adjust the sensitivity when you tune the ecm.

Thank you for purchasing your short block with us, and let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Quick Reply: LS2 with LS1 knock sensors ...