Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.1 Hemi Vs Production Ls2 Should we worry

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zackley... There is ALWAYS a faster car out there, whether it's made by Chrysler, Ford or GM. I have owen all three brands and fell in love with with Chrysler. My sister and brother-in-law run a 68 Camaro and a Chevy powered rail, THEY are completely GM. I respect that. I have a '78 lilred Express truck that I "modded" with intake/carb/ported heads, cam, posi and 4:10's. It will run the quarter in LOW 13's and it is shaped like a BRICK. It is ALL tied to how deep your pockets are and the right combination. And as I said, there will ALWAYS be someone faster.

Bottom line all of us "Big 3" owners have to stick together and keep the U.S. V8's up there ! The imports are the current rave, THAT is who we have to outrun........

Sorry for opening up a 3 year old wound, for this I've been called "stupid" and told "it's THREE YEARS OLD DUDE" sometimes by people that only joined this site a year or so ago. I just joined to fix wronged facts.

The "tuners" sound like my *** after a night of Mexican, NOTHING sounds better that a V8 !
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ran into an SRT8 Challenger the other day.....it was no problem.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Ran into an SRT8 Challenger the other day.....it was no problem.

You comparing apples to apples? Your car stock? Didn't think so. The Challenger is the toughest looking ride out today, period. I would give my left *** for one. If I could only talk my wife into thinking I need just ONE more car to add to the 5 I have right now

The car is just plain sweet. Sure, a little heavy, but hey....a 2 door sports car that is being made in this day and age with a V8???? I WILL TAKE IT!!! Think about it, aside from the Mustang, what else is there? NOTHING!! Camaro is not produced, the Vette is too much money and so is the Viper. The Challenger makes all the sense in the world right now.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the intercepters come with boost or nitrous the import guys will have there hands full.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen414
You comparing apples to apples? Your car stock? Didn't think so. The Challenger is the toughest looking ride out today, period. I would give my left *** for one. If I could only talk my wife into thinking I need just ONE more car to add to the 5 I have right now

The car is just plain sweet. Sure, a little heavy, but hey....a 2 door sports car that is being made in this day and age with a V8???? I WILL TAKE IT!!! Think about it, aside from the Mustang, what else is there? NOTHING!! Camaro is not produced, the Vette is too much money and so is the Viper. The Challenger makes all the sense in the world right now.
Ummm, not when the challenger is about the same price as a vette plus the frickin dealer markups. I think it looks like ***. I would take a G8 over the challenger seeing as they put down similiar 1/4 mile times and the G8 looks cooler and is already being tuned while the 6.1 hemi is limited in the aftermarket, tuning, and probably will be for some time to come. If you'd give your left nut for THAT car....you don't need any ********* at all.

Besides, I just have an 04 GTO 6 spd with 400 hp....nothing special.....
Old 11-29-2008, 02:47 AM

Wow! I find it interesting all the same. Challenger is cool, but if I had my way it would be my Formula or the G8. BTW way my car stock with a filter and the flowmaster cat back and i dog walked the Charger srt-8 on expressway. Needless to say he was suprised!

If we gon support the American V8 less do that, but please dont under estimate the f bodies because they arenot in production. When the Camaro hits the road again, SRT8s can go hide again.

Just my .02.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Ummm, not when the challenger is about the same price as a vette plus the frickin dealer markups. I think it looks like ***. I would take a G8 over the challenger seeing as they put down similiar 1/4 mile times and the G8 looks cooler and is already being tuned while the 6.1 hemi is limited in the aftermarket, tuning, and probably will be for some time to come. If you'd give your left nut for THAT car....you don't need any ********* at all.

Besides, I just have an 04 GTO 6 spd with 400 hp....nothing special.....

A Challenger as much as a Vette? Maybe WITH the markups. But now that the 09's are coming in, the prices are coming back down. Price is in the low 30's now.

Off topic slightly: You guys see or hear about their track only Challenger? You can go down to your local Dodge dealer and pick up a race car with no VIN!!! Yep, they are making at leat 1000 to meet certain NHRA rules, but is a tribute to the 68 Darts/Cuda's. They were able to shave 1000LBS off the car. Comes with NO rear bumper, air bags, cross beams in teh door, HVAC, sound deading material, power windows, steeering, etc....They took one to the track and in an issue of Hot Rod, car was singing to the tune of 10.40's, clicking off early becasue of valve float!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM

Tha Challenger "looks like ***" ? Hey Highschool Hairy, your GTO is nothing more than a "Japanized" GrandAm with a V8 in it, thus the complete redo of the GTO for 2011(?). GM failed miserably with the "new" GTO and has basically done the same with the G8, they look like ricers (THIS from diehard GM people) !! They have not done justice to the V8 they installed in them. MOST are hoping for a retro following as Ford and Chrysler has done, possibly with a remake of the JUDGE with modern updates. A cockroach shaped care is loved in Japan, not so much here. Chrysler did the same with the new Charger, it is nothing more than a Magnum sedan, a family car. The Charger is also scheduled for a remake in 2011, hopefully they will get it right this time around. The Mustang and the Challenger are right on for the 35 and older crowd. Kids are fine with a lump and four wheels.

Chrysler installed the Viper V10 into a Challenger for SEMA, a possible replacement for the Viper that will be contracted to Hennessey possibly to build. with the V10 it will leave the factory with 660hp and the 6 speed. The 8.4 HEMI is also in the works at 550 hp out the door.... SRT8/SRT10's hide ? I don't think so....

Add to this the Drag Pack Challengers with 550 hp and 1000 lbs LESS . Some of these will guaranteed make it to the street, yes illegal, but they will be there.

Last edited by SRT8; 11-29-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Sorry, that was to to be the 6.4 (392) HEMI with 550 hp. Talk is that the 392 may be in the works for a T/A Challenger in the spring. Time will tell.....
Old 11-29-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Racing Dad Webb
Wow! I find it interesting all the same. Challenger is cool, but if I had my way it would be my Formula or the G8. BTW way my car stock with a filter and the flowmaster cat back and i dog walked the Charger srt-8 on expressway. Needless to say he was suprised!

If we gon support the American V8 less do that, but please dont under estimate the f bodies because they arenot in production. When the Camaro hits the road again, SRT8s can go hide again.

Just my .02.
I have a feeling when the Camaro does come out, it will unfortunately be too heavy for my taste.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran into an srt8 challenger as well..it was no problem for me either. car has a lid, ory, and flowmaster 80 series, nothing else, stock tune. it is lowered ~2.25", though. he jumped out maybe a car or so as i skated first, by the time i was shifting to 3rd i was at his door and pulled 3rd about 2 cars out. he let out so did i, no need to keep going.

the ta trapped 109 with a lid and muffler. i honestly think removing the cats slowed it down haha. haven't been back to the track.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:56 PM

s346k, the '09's with the 6 speed have and 3:91 gears, much better than the auto with 3:06 gears. One of these will be "trouble"....

My friend Brian keeps his WS6 (CLEAN white with a black interior) next to mine in the hangar, he told me about the 6 speed "skip shift" BULLSHIT, I bought a skip shift eliminator. He is in the proccess of doing a mod on his doors, the metal inner door frame changes differently than the plastic doorskin and causes the inner door panel to crack. He is adding the (gm?) prescribed brace/rivets to eliminate the possibility of cracking.

Last edited by SRT8; 11-29-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Don't doubt the HEMI. I have an 06 Ram 1500 with the 5.7, tuned with ram air. She runs 0-60 in 6.1 sec with 20in wheels.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SRT8
Tha Challenger "looks like ***" ? Hey Highschool Hairy, your GTO is nothing more than a "Japanized" GrandAm with a V8 in it, thus the complete redo of the GTO for 2011(?). GM failed miserably with the "new" GTO and has basically done the same with the G8, they look like ricers (THIS from diehard GM people) !! They have not done justice to the V8 they installed in them. MOST are hoping for a retro following as Ford and Chrysler has done, possibly with a remake of the JUDGE with modern updates. A cockroach shaped care is loved in Japan, not so much here

Wasn't going to go there, but since you did, I will just
Old 11-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

for real. I think that the challenger looks good.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by shadowsnkx
for real. I think that the challenger looks good.

I mean, no doubt!!! That car is just sex on wheels As you can tell, I am not brand loyalist by ANY means (other than the Big 3 that is) I have owned em all:

8 Ford Mustangs (1 current)
1 Ford Powerstroke

1 Chevy Camaro
1 Pontiac Trans Am (1 current)
1 Oldsmobile
4 Chevy trucks (3 gas and 1 Duramax)
1 Pontiac Cheiftain (1 current)

1 Dodge Cummins (1 current)
2 Dodge Challengers
1 Jeep Grand Cherokee (1 current)

All manufactures have their good points and bad. So, coming from a unbiased opinion since I have owned them all, the new Challenger is one of the baddest *** looking cars of all time. Now, before it starts into a war, I am leaving out all of the "super cars" and such. I am talking about REAL world cars, blue collar cars for guys like most of us here on this board. The new Challenger is just one sweet *** ride!!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM

Gen414, this is exactly what I was saying, ALL have goods and bads, the playing fields are actually very level ! A couple have to exercise the bashing/name calling format. The key comments were the "looks like ***" and the "you're stupid", I got a kick out of them... Ahhh to be young and full of YOURSELF. I have seriously never heard more negative comments on a car than the GTO, and as I stated these were from people that BLEED GM blood ! My daughters boyfriend works at a GM dealer, he was the person the told me about the upcoming redo of the GTO and the shortfallings of the current bodystyle. The "you're stupid" comment made me laugh, I design helicopter parts, what does the brainiac do ? Funny............. I saw a few Cummins at the Mopar Nationals a couple years ago with propane injection making WELL over 750 hp out of a 6 cylinder !

Last edited by SRT8; 11-30-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StickSS
Hi: Just saw a new Charger coming out of a Chrysler headquaters building. The rumor is they are rated at 425 HP and zero to 60 in 5.0, 13 flat in the qtr. Don't know if this was an auto or stick? The really bad news is they are coming out with a police package. Can't have that now can we? What do you guys think will Chevrolet retaliate and add a more agressive cam and a better intake to raise the power output to be equal or better than the Hemi?

I doubt GM will do anything. I think its cool that they like that have the fastest car on the block, but in the end, it doesn't sell cars. Look at the Mustang...its been inferior to the F-body since 94 and which one is still around.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 AM

The bad thing at this time is the money issue with manufacturers, GM is on the edge of a razor blade right now and tilting heavily toward the bankrupt side, they do NOT have the $$$ for a complete redesign right now. Ford is close to being in the same boat. Out of the 3 Chrysler is actually in the best spot (if you want to call it that), they are owned by an investors "group" that buys struggling companies they don't have to rely on the autos to sell quite as much as the other two. They have other owned companies to pull/pool monies from to survive. I could NOT believe that all three "leaders" flew to Washington on private jets to beg for money, WHAT were they thinking !?!?!?! If ONE would have driven they would have stood out like a GEM !

Gm has "one" of the fastest cars on the block... You are 100% correct on the Mustang's survival, Ford when with a style that sold millions, as "retro" as it may be. Chrysler put the same hopes into the Challenger and sold 6400 BEFORE they were produced OR ever actually seen ! If pontiac were to go "retro" with that GTO (I'm partial to the 64-67) and current technology they would sell before built also, the market IS out there... I was surprised when GM dropped the Camaro, I remember when the first one came out, I and MANY others wish the new on was more retro. The 68's and 69's were AWESOME.
I'm having flashbacks of the street wars of that time, unreal !

I dunno, The "BIG BOYS" go back to Washington in December to beg again, I HOPE they use a little common sense and restraint this trip.......... There are millions of jobs at stake and "food" for site like this to feed on. What would WE do without the competition and dreams we have.... Damn, we'll have to get into the BIKE wars !!!!!!!!

Last edited by SRT8; 11-30-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SRT8
Gen414, this is exactly what I was saying, ALL have goods and bads, the playing fields are actually very level ! A couple have to exercise the bashing/name calling format. The key comments were the "looks like ***" and the "you're stupid", I got a kick out of them... Ahhh to be young and full of YOURSELF. I have seriously never heard more negative comments on a car than the GTO, and as I stated these were from people that BLEED GM blood ! My daughters boyfriend works at a GM dealer, he was the person the told me about the upcoming redo of the GTO and the shortfallings of the current bodystyle. The "you're stupid" comment made me laugh, I design helicopter parts, what does the brainiac do ? Funny............. I saw a few Cummins at the Mopar Nationals a couple years ago with propane injection making WELL over 750 hp out of a 6 cylinder !

I follow you completly there. Yeah, I follow along pretty regularly with the diesel crowd, and we got guys making 1200HP-1300HP and well over 2000LB ft of torque AT THE TIRES with our "little" 6 cylinder. Pretty amzing to think that alot of them are still running stock crankshafts at that power level. There are a few that are making 1000HP @ tires with the stock crank and rods. Mine has made right at 500+/900+ @ tires. I made a little over 400 with the stock turbo/injectors with a little "sauce". Bigger turbo/injectors has me at the 500/900 level. My clutch is way gone now, so I got the wick turned down some until I get it replaced. Diesel's are pretty amazing.

Quick Reply: 6.1 Hemi Vs Production Ls2 Should we worry