Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lS7 Crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
What I mean is: I just want the LS7 heads, the motor is nothing special. Certainly no better than a properly built forged 427 from a GOOD shop.

So I'm trying to figure a way to get a set of heads Because I heard they won't be selling them for awhile.
I appreciate your question, but when they do become avaliable we will all know how it works and won't work.Don't borrow trouble yet,you should be fine as this does come along with production and becomes plentyful.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by crow@sdpc
I appreciate your question, but when they do become avaliable we will all know how it works and won't work.Don't borrow trouble yet,you should be fine as this does come along with production and becomes plentyful.
Doesn't GM have to offer parts when they sell a new car though? Every single part that may need replacing on the car? I mean if someone overheats a new Z06 for whatever reason and warps the heads, GM has to send out new heads immedately under warranty.

I'm thinking of a way to get a set of heads without having to buy a new Z06 or having to wait until they sell them separately.

Don't want to wait
Old 08-18-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't GM have to offer parts when they sell a new car though? Every single part that may need replacing on the car? I mean if someone overheats a new Z06 for whatever reason and warps the heads, GM has to send out new heads immedately under warranty.

I'm thinking of a way to get a set of heads without having to buy a new Z06 or having to wait until they sell them separately.

Don't want to wait

I would say to be patient..its going to be a while
Old 08-18-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I would say to be patient..its going to be a while

I can't be restrained, I will find a way. I've got a friend who owns a GM dealership in Lauderdale. If he orders a set they'll send them. I'm not worried.

Last edited by Quickin; 08-18-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can't be restrained, I will find a way. I've got a friend who owns a GM dealership in Lauderdale. If he orders a set they'll send them. I'm not worried.

You could not get the LS2 intake without a VIN number when production first started on the new Corvette..I would be willing to bet it going to be the same way on the LS7 heads..maybe evern harder because of the limited supply of engine parts on this new motor..they are using all they can get for production right now....CNC 12 degree valve angle ported heads are a little more difficult to produce than a plastic intake manifold..I got one buy supplying the VIN number on the first 05 vette we got a year ago this month...we had a Corvette with a damaged consol lid and it took a long time to get that part because all were being used to build new cars...its going to be more of the same on this part..watch and see
Old 08-19-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

You could not get the LS2 intake without a VIN number when production first started on the new Corvette..I would be willing to bet it going to be the same way on the LS7 heads..maybe evern harder because of the limited supply of engine parts on this new motor..they are using all they can get for production right now....CNC 12 degree valve angle ported heads are a little more difficult to produce than a plastic intake manifold..I got one buy supplying the VIN number on the first 05 vette we got a year ago this month...we had a Corvette with a damaged consol lid and it took a long time to get that part because all were being used to build new cars...its going to be more of the same on this part..watch and see
Thats my point. Give them a VIN of a car and tell them you need new heads. I think if a dealership calls for you the heads will be sent. Don't you think so?
We'll see pretty soon if it'll work. I think it will certainly work. They're not gonna fly a GM rep out to make sure the car is sitting there with no heads on it.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats my point. Give them a VIN of a car and tell them you need new heads. I think if a dealership calls for you the heads will be sent. Don't you think so?
We'll see pretty soon if it'll work. I think it will certainly work. They're not gonna fly a GM rep out to make sure the car is sitting there with no heads on it.

You missed the point..it is not a matter of some GM rep doing anything..it is a matter of having the part available..if I told you how long it took to get a consol lid you'd think I was making it up..and the dealership that I work at sells 50 new vettes a month and has been in the top three in the nation in new vette sales for the last ten years..needless to say we are not a long way down the pecking order at GM..
Old 08-19-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

You missed the point..it is not a matter of some GM rep doing anything..it is a matter of having the part available..if I told you how long it took to get a consol lid you'd think I was making it up..and the dealership that I work at sells 50 new vettes a month and has been in the top three in the nation in new vette sales for the last ten years..needless to say we are not a long way down the pecking order at GM..
So if a new Z06 is driving down the road in a couple months and something happens that would be covered under warranty and his motor overheats and warps the heads, GM will tell the owner too bad you have a car that can be used now. We'll get back to you in a few months

I think if a customer needs heads they'll send a set and make one new car wait for its set.

I would assume a new Z06 owner gets put first.

Oh well, we'll see soon enough

Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

So if a new Z06 is driving down the road in a couple months and something happens that would be covered under warranty and his motor overheats and warps the heads, GM will tell the owner too bad you have a car that can be used now. We'll get back to you in a few months

I think if a customer needs heads they'll send a set and make one new car wait for its set.

I would assume a new Z06 owner gets put first.

Oh well, we'll see soon enough

I am just telling you that parts for cars that just went into production and not sitting in a dealers parts dept. or local wearhouse are hard to get..just using my experience in the business to enlighten you..and since you are dealing in a totally fabricated story you add other issues into the mix..who knows..on a brand new high dollar low volume production engine you add certain quality control matters too..
Old 08-20-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I am just telling you that parts for cars that just went into production and not sitting in a dealers parts dept. or local wearhouse are hard to get..just using my experience in the business to enlighten you..and since you are dealing in a totally fabricated story you add other issues into the mix..who knows..on a brand new high dollar low volume production engine you add certain quality control matters too..
I guess. But I'd be pretty pissed off if I just bought an American made car that wasn't worth half the price I paid for it and I couldn't get spare parts immediately if needed.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess. But I'd be pretty pissed off if I just bought an American made car that wasn't worth half the price I paid for it and I couldn't get spare parts immediately if needed.

This is a no whinnnning zone.. ..especially if you don't even own one of those cars... ..I bet your 98 pontiac can't be sold for half of what you have in it.. ..you can always buy jap junk or euro trash..the ricer crowd will welcome you with open arms...whatever you buy is a depreciating asset..not an investment...we drive them becase thay make us feel good..otherwise why would you own one...

Last edited by slt200mph; 08-20-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a no whinnnning zone.. ..especially if you don't even own one of those cars... ..I bet your 98 pontiac can't be sold for half of what you have in it.. ..you can always buy jap junk or euro trash..the ricer crowd will welcome you with open arms...whatever you buy is a depreciating asset..not an investment...we drive them becase thay make us feel good..otherwise why would you own one...
Couldn't agree more. People think that I am looney for considering a non-turnkey Ultima GTR. Yeah it is kind of sparse the way the factory intends for it to be assembled, however I possibly could have the option of waiting on an LS7 crate for "two years", or simply biting my tongue for a 402 LS2 setup.

The point? It would be nice to have something like the LS7 pretty much straight from a crate and pop it right in the engine bay, but if I have to wait way back in the line like I was at a double sold-out rock concert, then I will simply settle for something second best, but darn close.

Oh and that used value part about supercars and their superparts, I can either garage my "dainty baby" so the elements and clumsy beings won't scar it for life, or I can save the money, put my elbow grease and engineering background to use, and eventually turn the key, and really start experience something in the field of supercar driving.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Collections Hold

Default ls7 heads

Don't want to wait
You can by them right now at ET Performance. I can email you some pics if you would like. They are made from our casting, but have all the good features of an aftermarket head.

cary@etheads.com
Old 08-20-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

I agree with you too. There is only one reason I bought the WS6 Trans Am, when I looked at it I saw a car that looked AWESOME to me. But its still American made and I'm not an idiot, I know that American made cars are not the best built cars on the planet, not by a long shot. Thats why I modded it after I got it, to make it BETTER. Anyone that thinks the new Z06 is worth half what they will pay for it is just wacked, period.

Back to the point, GM will have to send out parts when **** breaks or there will be major legal trouble.

Last edited by Quickin; 08-20-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with you too. There is only one reason I bought the WS6 Trans Am, when I looked at it I saw a car that looked AWESOME to me. But its still American made and I'm not an idiot, I know that American made cars are not the best built cars on the planet, not by a long shot. Thats why I modded it after I got it, to make it BETTER. Anyone that thinks the new Z06 is worth half what they will pay for it is just wacked, period.

Back to the point, GM will have to send out parts when **** breaks or there will be major legal trouble.

I didn't say they would not send out the parts but you would be surprised at how long it takes to get something when It is right at the begining of production...I am just telling you what I have seen..I am in the biz..you can make up your own stories...legal trouble.. ..lets not get completely goofy here..this has already strayed way off the subject..have a nice day folks..don't hold your breath waiting for the LS7 heads to show up
Old 08-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Sponsor

To answer a few questions concerning LS7 parts and the LS7 crate engine:

1. If you owned a new 2006 Z06 and needed an engine component, whether the case is warranty or not, GM Service Parts Operation(SPO) would do everything in their power to get you the parts for your car.

2. Yes, some of the components may be like a "controlled substance" in the beginning(very short term). This could require a VIN to order these parts. There are several reasons as to why they do this and one is to keep parts for purchased vehicles that might need to be repaired.

3. Let's face it, the LS7 crate engines are a commodity right now! Very high demand and very little supply. As it stands today, all of our LS7 engines are spoken for and if someone backs out, we will post it here first that we have an engine for sale. Talking prices today is like talking about the price of gas! GM Parts has asked for more complete LS7 engines, but that time line is still being worked on and you will not see that resolved until next year and even then it will be a very limited quantity(probably less than 50-pcs) --- if it can be done at all!

4. GM is very aware of the demand for these components and I have been involved in some of this process now for well over a year. They fully intend to make all of these parts readily available to purchase and some of the components they have ample inventory now. They may not be willing to release certain components at this time because of specific obligations regarding the release of the car, editorial committments, and internal politics. But rest assured, you will be able to purchase the LS7 core components (block, heads, intake, etc) very soon without any problems!

The future is very bright for horsepower hungry GEN3 and GEN4 enthusiasts! More is to come ----------

Nicky Fowler
Head Gearhead @ SDPC
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man. All I want is the Block. Cheaper than a Sleeve job. Heads and Intake would be nice too. They can keep all that expensive TI stuff for now. I can't afford it.

I'm guessing from your statement Nicky, these AUX piece's probably won't be available for at least a 1/2 year to a year and then will be still in shorter supply. Keep up the great work Guy's and Thanks for the Info.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Man. All I want is the Block. Cheaper than a Sleeve job. Heads and Intake would be nice too. They can keep all that expensive TI stuff for now. I can't afford it.

I'm guessing from your statement Nicky, these AUX piece's probably won't be available for at least a 1/2 year to a year and then will be still in shorter supply. Keep up the great work Guy's and Thanks for the Info.
All of the components should be available in the 4th quarter of this year! Not all will be readily available, meaning some parts will be in short supply. I think by December 1 that we will have a very clear picture of what is hard to get and what is in plentiful supply.
I believe that the "early birds" will get parts!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

any body check out this site clickity just put in this part number 17802397. $13,000
Old 08-23-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't afford any of this stuff anyway, lol.

Quick Reply: lS7 Crate motor