Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lS7 Crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy lS7 Crate motor

I just returned from Hot August Nights in Reno, talked to the GM Performance guy there, he said GM and the Unions are at odds over building the LS7. GM wants them built on Saturday (???) and the union will not agree, his boss, the lady that runs the department says there will be no crate motord for at least a year or so (or longer). They will heve direct replacements for sold cars but none to sell. That runed my whole week end.
Tom
Old 08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that does suck. the funny thing is that my cousin was looking forward to purchasing the ls7 when they came out but i guess he's gonna have to wait now.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh come on this is just dumb.... gimme a job gm... i'll build em on saterday
Old 08-07-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

****, I'll build 'em on Sunday too.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 502454
I just returned from Hot August Nights in Reno, talked to the GM Performance guy there, he said GM and the Unions are at odds over building the LS7. GM wants them built on Saturday (???) and the union will not agree, his boss, the lady that runs the department says there will be no crate motord for at least a year or so (or longer). They will heve direct replacements for sold cars but none to sell. That runed my whole week end.
Tom
In Regards to your statement on the LS7 engines.Who ever told you that is not in the know.GM sent a bulletin out on JULY 29TH 2005,stating that the top corvette dealers and the top 10 GM PERFORMANCE PARTS DEALERS will be able to get these engines.ALL orders placed before this bulletin were cancelled.THIS ordering process will be off of the biggest dealers who has purchased the most AS a AUTHORIZED GM PERFORMANCE PARTS SUPPLIER.
GM IS going to only make a few of these in this year.So do not loose hope,you will need to stay on top of this and get in line as the line will be long.They are making them and they will be hard to get.We are not taking orders at this time as we are waiting on how many we will actually get,but hopefully in the next 30-days everyone will know this is for real!!
take care!
BARRY
Old 08-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Restricted User

I'm in agreement with CROW. If you watch the news documentary with News 4, they state 15 UAW workers are assigned to making these engines with capability to assemble 15 engines per day per line. Not that they're going to work at max. capacity (225 motors per day) but it's possible for them to pump out at least 150-200.

To me, 200 motors per day for 15 workers sounds like a Monday through Friday full time job just to meet production (not just producing them on Saturday). I think they will have a few left to meet the 4 per top 10 GM Aftermarket Re-Sellers.

Last edited by NOSjohn; 08-08-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
I'm in agreement with CROW. If you watch the news documentary with News 4, they state 15 UAW workers are assigned to making these engines with capability to assemble 15 engines per day per line. Not that they're going to work at max. capacity (225 motors per day) but it's possible for them to pump out at least 150-200.

To me, 200 motors per day for 15 workers sounds like a Monday through Friday full time job just to meet production (not just producting them on Saturday). I think they will have a few left to meet the 4 per top 10 GM Aftermarket Re-Sellers.
Thanks John! The deal is that GM is going too probly only produce 100 to 150 total of the LS7 engines and you can expect the same thing next year.So to say they will be plentyful, we wish.Heck~you no one really knows,NO one has them yet ! TIME WILL TELL! We will be able to sell as many as we can get.
Good luck to the people who get them!!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Bummer. Barry, any more news on the possible block only? What about you and your other cohorts (sp?) @ SDPC as far as working with GMPP for an aftermarket raceblock?? Keep the info rolling!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, I hate to dog unions, but they work for GM. So if GM wants them to do it they should, or find a knew job.

Hey Barry, do you even have pricing on the LS7 yet then?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
Sorry, I hate to dog unions, but they work for GM. So if GM wants them to do it they should, or find a knew job.

Hey Barry, do you even have pricing on the LS7 yet then?
What's going on! As you know these engines are a high demand engine.No ONE out there will have a problem selling them.From my understanding that the engines we are allocated are spoken for.But if any thing changes,and they do alot,I will post or let you know.At this time we are not posting any prices,sorry.Try to stay in touch.I agree with you on the union deal!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Default LS7 Crate motor

The GM rep. was very convincing; I was trying to get an "in" with him on getting one also. He recommended going another route because "it's not going to happen any time soon". His boss is the head of the department and should know what’s going on, if that is possible at GM.
Tom
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody has figured out how to tune with the new corporate reluctor wheel in the LS7 yet have they?... especially utilizing current PCM's... or determined if the older reluctor wheel can be swapped in. Hopefully the first few motors will go to tuner shops who will publicly share new info... if some sort of arrangement hasn't been worked out already. For those interested in GENIII F or Y Body or truck platform swaps - accessory drive alignment questions asked in older threads still have not been addressed. The front of the LS7 motor (front cover/balancer) is completely different than any current GENIII/IV. Also, no information has made its way out yet as to whether the motor is reverse compatible to wet sump using a single rotor pump, LS2 front cover, and your flavor harmonic balancer and pan... and if it was possible would take additional effort... because the dip stick tube hole has not been machined out on the LS7 block. Remember, oil "level" is checked in the remote reservoir on the LS7.

The LS7 block, heads, and intake manifold are going to be the hot tickets... whenever they become available...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
This coming from someone who obviouslly isn't a union worker. Union workers are going to abide by there contract, cause once they give up something, like weekends off, they'll never get it back. If it weren't for th e uninon, these guys would be making minimum wage. Sorry for the but I knew this would come out once someone said "union".
Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
This coming from someone who obviouslly isn't a union worker. Union workers are going to abide by there contract, cause once they give up something, like weekends off, they'll never get it back. If it weren't for th e uninon, these guys would be making minimum wage. Sorry for the but I knew this would come out once someone said "union".
I've been in a union before, I did my time in the shop. Not knocking the principal and ideals of the union. However I have a friend who works for GM and knocks down half again what I do per year driving a forklift and I have a design degree. I tend to be little bitter about that. That's what burns me about the unions. I'm not saying a guy shouldn't earn a decent wage but I think they've gotten greedy, its a contributor to why car prices are so high. All I'm saying is, I think that if GM says we can sell these motors but we'll need to work a couple saturdays a month to do it, it benefits the employees and the company.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSjohn

To me, 200 motors per day for 15 workers sounds like a Monday through Friday full time job just to meet production (not just producing them on Saturday). I think they will have a few left to meet the 4 per top 10 GM Aftermarket Re-Sellers.

FYI you are way off on your production numbers sir..
Old 08-15-2005, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I may be wrong, but if GM sells a crate motor, wouldn't it include a PCM so it would run in an aftermarket chassis?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

car prices are so high because automakers like to stick it to us. has nothing to do with union labor. yea, it might be a little more, but the big wigs like to line their pockets more and more every year.

why dont they want to work saturdays. is gm only offering them straight time or forcing them to? i work a couple sats. a month for the extra money, volunteraly. if someones gonna force me to work saturdays, i would say no too.

Local 134 IBEW
Old 08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by slt200mph
FYI you are way off on your production numbers sir..
My statement wasn't geared toward production numbers but to point out that they have the capacity to make enough engines to not warrant working the weekends (someone mentioned they should work weekends).

I have no idea how many engines they are making, nor does anyone else, except Bearman - who works on the line. I may pose this question to him tonight.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

These engines will be built in an environment removed from normal production lines at the new GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Michigan.
These engines will have a specific skilled builder personally involved with each aspect of each build. The builder(s) signs off on each unit and documents who on his team built it.
Each unit is run for 20 minutes before final approval.

So sayeth Timothy Schag the new sites manager as printed in April's Popular Hot Rodding.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Still don't know if the price includes a pcm and create harness. Anyone?

Quick Reply: lS7 Crate motor