Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2006 Z06 Dyno with LG Pro Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"To finance $70,000 (taxes, title, tag, etc.) for 72 months at a very low rate of 6% with ZERO down, you're looking at a payment of $1,160.10 per month. More or less depending on term and money down. I would NOT love that payment. "

No doubt about that.. but if you have any projects worth anything and sell one of them to put down on it, it significantly changes the payment.

Granted, I'll be waiting til about 2008 to even think about it

Peace,
Josh
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

- I cant believe my eyes! waiting a few years for used ones, shud have enough cash by then
Old 09-29-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

A point/question that never seems to get answered by all the new Z06 groupies: why is it that you get so impressed by a cast piston 427 that can be easilly outdone by ANY modern tuner's 427-441 cid forged motor that has been around for years. Such motors by the vette doctors, Cartek, and ECS have all gotten 600rwhp from such a set-up. ET performance heads are 11degree and flow just as well without making you use the ls7 manifold.

Please don't say warranty since a Z06 427 with a cam and other necessary internal mods to get to such a number will violate such a warrany.

12.5 K for this motor aftermarket is no bargain either. A similar build-up with a big cube mator from any of the above listed tuners is in the same ball park with forged pistons, the cam of your choice, and proven performance.

I for one can't wait for the first maxed out Z06 just so I can stop having to read so many idiotic posts on how special this motor is or how much of a beast it is. By the time you do get to 600rwhp with it, you will be far beyond the cost of a real forged beast. SOMEONE PLEASE MOD ONE FULLY ALREADY. A 6.6 liter LS2 is making 550+ to the wheels for 3900 bucks plus AFR heads/fast 90/90.

It will prove to be no stronger than any other 427 we have to date but it has cast pistons. I guess the great job comment to GM was for saving 560 bucks by using them.

A real beast 427: http://www.cartek.net/parts/engines/...riesmain.html# mind you thats complete with the cam of your choice, 600rwhp

Last edited by Spinmonster; 09-29-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
ET performance heads are 11degree and flow just as well without making you use the ls7 manifold.
I did not know this! Link please??
Old 09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

A point/question that never seems to get answered by all the new Z06 groupies: why is it that you get so impressed by a cast piston 427 that can be easilly outdone by ANY modern tuner's 427-441 cid forged motor that has been around for years. Such motors by the vette doctors, Cartek, and ECS have all gotten 600rwhp from such a set-up. ET performance heads are 11degree and flow just as well without making you use the ls7 manifold.

Please don't say warranty since a Z06 427 with a cam and other necessary internal mods to get to such a number will violate such a warrany.

12.5 K for this motor aftermarket is no bargain either. A similar build-up with a big cube mator from any of the above listed tuners is in the same ball park with forged pistons, the cam of your choice, and proven performance.

I for one can't wait for the first maxed out Z06 just so I can stop having to read so many idiotic posts on how special this motor is or how much of a beast it is. By the time you do get to 600rwhp with it, you will be far beyond the cost of a real forged beast. SOMEONE PLEASE MOD ONE FULLY ALREADY. A 6.6 liter LS2 is making 550+ to the wheels for 3900 bucks plus AFR heads/fast 90/90.

It will prove to be no stronger than any other 427 we have to date but it has cast pistons. I guess the great job comment to GM was for saving 560 bucks by using them.

A real beast 427: http://www.cartek.net/parts/engines/...riesmain.html# mind you thats complete with the cam of your choice, 600rwhp
I don't think GM could use forged slugs and have an emmision friendly motor, hence the cast pistons.

Also, to my knowledge, no sponsors have done a lightweight reciprocating assembly (=titanium rods) and 370 cfm heads. Obviously C5R setups, but those are few and far between. This has great hp potential, as I can be spun to the moon. That is why it makes a ton of power.

I will say, that I dont think this will be a good nitrous motor, since it has cast pistons, and while the rods are strong, I believe Titanium can be brittle. Forged rods will probably take more abusue, nitrous wise.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bink
I did not know this! Link please??

http://www.etheads.com/mainpage.htm click on the 255-265 heads that would be used with a 427. 370-380 cfm enough? almost 300cfm at .400 lift.....even the low end is better. Flow is stable out to .700 lift for solid roller guys. How about the 8 second cars they build
Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man. I just came back to post the link- you're too fast.They look AWESOME!!!
Thanks again!!

joel
Old 09-29-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are you on crack or the rag... when did anyone say it wud be stronger than any other 427 we all said it put down nice #'s
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My understanding is that the Ls7 has forged pistons. At least thats what all the media release from GM states. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The shops you listed don't have requirements like the 100K torture test Gm does.

Those shops don't have to meet emissions requirements with their packages.

The Ls7 is based on a C5R. Everyone who has seen the performance of a C5R knows that there is plenty of potential there. Accroding to Et they are copying the C5R head (only more affordably). So, you're still going to have to come up with a manfold. And since there isn't an abundance of over the counter C5R manifolds that argument lacks some merit.

How many of those shops provide Ti rods or a dry sump?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
I don't think GM could use forged slugs and have an emmision friendly motor, hence the cast pistons.

Also, to my knowledge, no sponsors have done a lightweight reciprocating assembly (=titanium rods) and 370 cfm heads. That is why it makes a ton of power.

I will say, that I dont think this will be a good nitrous motor, since it has cast pistons, and while the rods are strong, I believe Titanium can be brittle. Forged rods will probably take more abusue, nitrous wise.
My forged piston vette was the cleanest running car my test station saw in his words. I don't know what makes you think forged pistons affect emmisions....et heads are flowing up to near 390 and any manufactirer can supply a lightweight rotating assemby including aluminum and titanium rods....give carillo a call.

What is the point anyway....guys rev a forged motor to near 7500 all the time without titanium connecting rods....I've done 9500 in my 426 hemi everytime it ran with your standard forged H-beam. Where does this stuff come from?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My statement is this: there is nothing magical about THIS 427 over any other one. Some great parts and some garbage....GM's problem.

Look at the rotating assembly that comes stock on a cobra mustang....GM should be ashamed. Awesome bottom end and it passes emissions with forged internals.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

I know this mechanic that works at a GM dealership. I know! Some are thinking that the words "mechanic" and "dealership" should not be used in the same sentence. But, this guy has done nothing but work on Vettes for 30 years. Only Vettes...nothing else...except his own rides.

For 30 years he's known folks at GM and the Corvette plant. One of his buddies said they were able to make 540 rwhp with just a tune...no hardware changes.

I can't wait to get this engine installed in my 2200# setup!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

My forged piston vette was the cleanest running car my test station saw in his words. I don't know what makes you think forged pistons affect emmisions....et heads are flowing up to near 390 and any manufactirer can supply a lightweight rotating assemby including aluminum and titanium rods....give carillo a call.

What is the point anyway....guys rev a forged motor to near 7500 all the time without titanium connecting rods....I've done 9500 in my 426 hemi everytime it ran with your standard forged H-beam. Where does this stuff come from?

Forged pistons affect emmisions.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J-Rod
My understanding is that the Ls7 has forged pistons. At least thats what all the media release from GM states. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The shops you listed don't have requirements like the 100K torture test Gm does.

Those shops don't have to meet emissions requirements with their packages.

The Ls7 is based on a C5R. Everyone who has seen the performance of a C5R knows that there is plenty of potential there. Accroding to Et they are copying the C5R head (only more affordably). So, you're still going to have to come up with a manfold. And since there isn't an abundance of over the counter C5R manifolds that argument lacks some merit.

How many of those shops provide Ti rods or a dry sump?
I read cast.....I could be wrong. Once again I'm not bashing so much as asking what all the freekin hype is over a 427.

the ET heads can be ordered with either port configuration....ls7 or ls1/2/6.

The LS7 manifold hasn't proven anything yet.

All of the guys I know with such stroker pass emissions.

Drag racing is as much a torture test as any and if you're implying an ECS or cartek motor isn't as well built, I beg to differ.

Now we are going to debate dry sump and other useless issues for the street car. I don't see too many of these big cube owners ever crying about motor failure from oil starvation.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a huge difference in 100k testing and drag racing testing. A top fuel motor can last for a 1/4 mile and 5000 rwhp no problem. Could it last 100k miles? Could a camry last a 1/4 mile with 5000 rwhp? Could it last 100k miles? Apples to oranges.

There is also a difference between passing 'sniffer' tests, and EPA tests that the automakers must meet. Forged pistons expand a lot, and hence when cold, will have a lot of slop (and blowby), bye bye emissions.

Dry sump also increases hp due to lack of windage from the crank slopping through the oil.

I think the debate here is not so much over the shortblock, but how nice (and apparantly inexpensive) the heads are. They have so much more flow over the ls6 castings, its like an ls6 to an lt1 (probably, more so).
Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

So what is the official word on the pistons? If they are cast, I believe it would be to keep the noise down. Aren't forged pistons louder?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

would cast pistons be up to the job?? why would GM do something stupid like that??

the car is awesome its self.

Charlie
Old 09-29-2005, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

nice numbers wish i had the money to buy one...
Old 09-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I read the pistons were cast due to the piston slap of the forged ones at cold start up.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can see there is no stopping the crowd...where is the 600rwhp car...and where is this 100k Z06.....and why did GM have John Lingenfelter design the LS6 head....lol. The Z06 motor was tested STOCK for a lot of miles huh, ok so the reliability wont change if you do a cam, headers, pulley, clutch.....

The Z06 is awesome.

The 427 is awesome.

The ECS 441 is more awesome.

I'M JUST NOT GETTING WHY EVERYONE IS SO HYPE FOR THIS UNPROVEN MOTOR. We see this everytime a product comes out....like all the AFR hype for a year till it came out and got you 30rwhp over your stock heads and the FAST manifold dominated every dayum thread for 9 months and it got 12 on a stock car. But in the meantime we heard about what it was 'going to do' and the unrealistic numbers. Well, I hope one gets modded and gets a whopping 7rwhp more than the average superstroker so these worship posts die.

Quick Reply: 2006 Z06 Dyno with LG Pro Long Tube Headers