Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2006 Z06 Dyno with LG Pro Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of curiosity what would a guesstimate be for the drivetrain loss for the new c6 z06 be???
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
I'M JUST NOT GETTING WHY EVERYONE IS SO HYPE FOR THIS UNPROVEN MOTOR. We see this everytime a product comes out....like all the AFR hype for a year till it came out and got you 30rwhp over your stock heads and the FAST manifold dominated every dayum thread for 9 months and it got 12 on a stock car. But in the meantime we heard about what it was 'going to do' and the unrealistic numbers. Well, I hope one gets modded and gets a whopping 7rwhp more than the average superstroker so these worship posts die.
Its not the numbers that it will produce because yes any of our sponsors can build a similar motor......It is the fact that A) This is a factory car bone stock car. No tricks to make a few extra hp just a factory motor. B) A factory sleeved 427 no resleeving and more sleep at night after a day at the track. C) There will always be better heads, gm is just giving us something better to start off with. 350 cfm from a factory head...wait till the aftermarket (AFR, ET, Dart) gets a few and starts messing around and making there own version. Its the doors this motor will open.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I just want to know.

Will this car beat a new viper stock for stock?
Which motor has more potential etc?
How much does the viper weigh? What is the top speed of both stock?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd hate to say which motor has more potential, but consider this. The viper has 73 more cubic inches to start wtih. I'm not sure how much room they have to go with bore and stroke on those motors.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

The Viper is slower in every category, in it's stock form. It's also 15k-20k more money, at least the new coupe is.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Ok Guys,

Until we can get some tuning software Cold air induction or slide a new cam in this car we are at some sort of a limit.

And I mean "Some Limit". This is more than we ever thought possible. We have a total of 71 miles on the car now.

REDLINE OIL's President Tim Kerrigan is the owner of this car. So there was no question that we were going to change the fluids to REDLINE. We changed the engine oil to Redline 5w-30. We changed the trans fluid to Redline D4 ATF, and the rear end got 75/90 gear lube with redline friction additive.

I then put about 2 miles on the car and pulled it back on the dyno.
(the car went to the dyno all by itself without me touching the wheel)

We gave it a cool down period and did some pulls.

The results are that we have hit a new high of:
492.2 rwhp 472.3 rwtq

The results that this new Z06 that GM has put out are nothing short of fantastic. The scary part is that it will probably get better with some proper break in miles. We did over 10 miles of dyno roller time which is usually very good break in time.

The other realization is the fact that when everyone gets LS-7 edit tuning software the bar will again be raised. how much, without going into the engine? I don't know. Of course the usual mods like cam and porting the heads, ported throttle bodies, cold air intakes etc will reap many advances.

I am looking forward to the arrival of my own Z06 so i can be a little more unforgiving with the parts we deem R & D parts. My car will be the "Mule" where we will find out what works ( I will have the cam of the week) and then we can impliment them in our customer cars.

Further clarification and my thoughts

the air filter was removed but it was removed from the last posted numbers also.

I have to say that I attribute some of the gains over the 2 days and 22 dyno runs to break in and PCM learning. But regardless, the final numbers are incredible.

We looked at the timing with the tech 2 and the timing dropped to 21 degrees during the runs we recorded. Edit tuning will solve some problems and send this car to a new level again.

I hope I can clarify these results. I also know that the baseline from cars with miles on them should be much better.

so stay tuned.There are great cars.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

500 rwhp from a 427 engine that will pass emissions and still be under warranty with only bolt ons and tuning is simply amazing. That must be one set of killer heads. I think GM has done a great job on this car.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The question was was not about how the viper sits now but "potential".

These are both awesome cars.

We all know a motor is a motor and normally larger cubes mean more potential or more potential for streetable NA power.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Big-DEN
The question was was not about how the viper sits now but "potential".

These are both awesome cars.

We all know a motor is a motor and normally larger cubes mean more potential or more potential for streetable NA power.
Depends on what sort of potential you're looking at. Shear horsepower potential probably favors the Viper. Overall potential may well favor the Z06 (when you consider weight, chassis, aero, etc). But its really a moot point anyway because we all know that "potential" is simply a function of $$. Anything has potential if you throw enough money at it. The real question is "how much are you getting for what you spend?" Clearly the Z06 is the winner in that category.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Z07, Z06 for that matter was always best "bang for the buck", "price for the performance" even compared to cars that cost $100k more... Never went against that.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well as far as the engine's go the viper has it hands down. Ill see if i can dig up the article but i know that a v10 with the same displacement as a v8 will be alot more powerful. I think it had alot to do with there being more time spent pushing the pistons.
Obviously oney can conquer all but buck for buck the viper ENGINE has more potential. GL

John
Old 10-07-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Have you guys seen this article?? I can imagine the guy driving in those 1/4 Mile runs doesn't know how to drive any of those three cars, but here you go

Old 10-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by buffman
Have you guys seen this article?? I can imagine the guy driving in those 1/4 Mile runs doesn't know how to drive any of those three cars, but here you go
I don't know how many cars you've driven in the 11s on run flat street tires, but I can tell you that with the little 400rwhp my Formula has I couldn't get out of the high 12's with my street tires. Run flats have such a stiff sidewall that I'm sure it made it hard to launch!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by buffman
I think the thing to take away from this is not the absolute times, but instead the fact that with the same driver, under the same conditions, and on the same day, the Z06 beats the Viper by 4-tenths and the GT by 2-tenths. THAT's impressive.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you can read good?!!! Loks like it LOST to the GT by 3tenths.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Corvette is a little trickier to get use to. They kept the velocity up and breaked harder in the turns. Seems like the vette was either A.) trickier to drive B.) the Driver wasn't familiar with the car.

I'm more likely to go with B.) because of the G's they are putting on the car getting into the turns and stuff. Seems to have better accelertion on the straight-a-ways. The car might be fast to the point that the driver was caught off guard. The G show that.

Look at turn 5. it shows that. That would mean that he scrubed alot of spead using the breaks at the last turn before the pole, and probably didn't have enough exit spead to be the clear winner.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AgentOrange
I don't know how many cars you've driven in the 11s on run flat street tires, but I can tell you that with the little 400rwhp my Formula has I couldn't get out of the high 12's with my street tires. Run flats have such a stiff sidewall that I'm sure it made it hard to launch!

Yeah I see what your saying. I realized after posting the one page from the article the 1/4 mile time wasn't done at a drag strip. Otherwise I've seen some pretty impressive times (in respects to 60ft times) on here from stock c5 z06 drivers that are running stock tires.

Matt
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blackz93
I don't think you can read good?!!! Loks like it LOST to the GT by 3tenths.
Take a peek at the 1/4-mile times and tell me what you see.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Take a peek at the 1/4-mile times and tell me what you see.

I hat it when Mags do not post MPH, ET is all about skill, MPH is all about power.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Too much hype ... would love to own one.

Best bang-for-buck but I look at it like this ... I believe totally in 'run what you brung' and I could care less about the dyno numbers, the flow numbers, the price or how nice the vehicle is when I race one. It's gorgeous, price-effective, and absolutely awesome and fast. BBBUUUUTTTTT, when a stock one pulls up beside me and I beat him or her, well, all that **** falls by the wayside and matters NONE. Of course, a little spray never hurt noone ...

Last edited by JEB99TA; 10-09-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Best bang-for-buck but I look at it like this ... I believe totally in 'run what you brung' and I could care less about the dyno numbers, the flow numbers, the price or how nice the vehicle is when I race one. It's gorgeous, price-effective, and absolutely awesome and fast. BBBUUUUTTTTT, when a stock one pulls up beside me and I beat him or her, well, all that **** falls by the wayside and matters NONE. Of course, a little spray never hurt noone ...
and what will you do when a cam only bolt on pulls up next to you..

Quick Reply: 2006 Z06 Dyno with LG Pro Long Tube Headers