Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Terrible news from GM regarding LS7 Crate Motor wiring harness & PCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Unhappy Terrible news from GM regarding LS7 Crate Motor wiring harness & PCM

I talked with a GM Rep again today to verify if I could do something as simple as just buying either an '06 LS2 or LS7 Production engine wiring harness and PCM so that I could do just what I did with my '99 F-body LS1 harness & PCM when I set up my '99 LS1 motor in my '88 Monte Carlo SS.

The answer I got was NO! When I asked why, the answer was, you'll need the gas pedal because it ties directly to the PCM rather than going through a separate box like the C5 throttle-by-wire set-up, you'll need an additional dash harness and the dashboard push button set-up because due to the push button engine start on the C6, it's function is integrated in the PCM and also it has a unique "shut down" sequence signal which controls how the engine shuts off. Bottom line, he said this wasn't really a good plan because he didn't believe you could just take all of this and simply splice it all together for a turn key start or try to disable/bypass these functions from the PCM.

When I inquired "what's the plan then for supplying something for these motors from GM" he admitted that the Performance Parts People at GM at this point are recommending to search for an aftermarket solution for the harness and PCM. GM is months away from a potential solution even though rumor has it that motors will be arriving at selected locations as early as next week there is a big disconnect between GM's Production Powertrain guys and the people supporting the Performance Parts people with an "in-house" solution to the crate motor PCM & Harness due to the priority of engineering supporting production.

This comes as a very disappointing blow It appears to me that the options today are:

Oh, and one more thing, I was told that if you try and adapt a manual throttle body to the LS7 intake manifold, the bellcrank will not clear the intake runner on cylinder #1 and that this will require a TB that rotates like an LT1 style TB that pulls open the throttle blades when it is raised in the rear as opposed to being pull back from the front like the LS1 does.
        Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
        Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that just generally sucks. It sounds like a BS3, etc. might be the only easy answer right now. Of course, that basically means you've got to use the cable throttle that won't fit.

On the bright side I ought to have an LS7 tommorow. It made its way through Texas today, and should arrive in Phoenix some time tonight. I'm palnning to pick it up tommorow afternoon. I'm definitely excited to finally see this baby; I've been looking forward to this for a year.
        Old 10-20-2005, 10:04 PM
        TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer.
        Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
        TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the hptuners guys can figure out how to rewrite the operating system on an ls1 pcm to work with that number of pulses.
        Old 10-20-2005, 10:21 PM
        TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess our LS7 will look great sitting in the corner of the garage It should be here sometime next week.. Guess I'll start researching some sort of aftermarket solution.

Any ideas? What exactly is a BS3? So no option at all for a manual TB cable setup? Even extending the TB forward a bit with a spacer?
        Old 10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
        Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
        What exactly is a BS3? So no option at all for a manual TB cable setup? Even extending the TB forward a bit with a spacer?
        Big Stuff 3 is an aftermarket computer setup that can be used on LS1s. There are other computer options out there, but many on this forum seem to like this one. Check it out here: http://www.bigstuff3.com/index2.html

I think the spacer might be a solution, but I really have no way to know for sure.

Personally, I've been thinking aftermarket computer anyway as I'd like to put a cam in the LS7. Without being able to tune the stock computer, let alone hook it up in a retrofit type application, I think that the aftermarket makes sense. Even if it did work, I imagine the price of the stuff I'd need to run the LS7 computer (PCM, harness, MAF, software), would come close to what the BS3 costs at $2300. Granted there are still hurdles to overcome using aftermarket, but right now it looks like they'll be less subsantial than using a GM computer.
        Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 AM
        TECH Fanatic

I wonder if the bs3 would work with the different crank reluctor. You may have to change that to a ls1 reluctor to get the aftermarket to work also. I don't know if they are easily configurable to the new parts with just a software change. I am sure gm and the aftermarket will both come up with solutions to this, although like everything it is a waiting game when you want to play with the newest toys on the block.
        Old 10-21-2005, 01:26 AM
        TECH Resident

jeez... sucks for guys who dished out that much cash in too big of hurry! wish you all luck!
        Old 10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
        TECH Resident

Thanks Chris. It looks like aftermarket would really be our best bet as well.. We'd like to do a cam swap before it goes into the car as well. I checked out the BS3 site and it definitely has my interest now. Lots to read up on now

I had heard rumor that there were solutions out there that would already work with a 58x reluctor. Not sure which controllers they were though. Maybe it was the BS3.. I'll keep researching.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Chris442
        Big Stuff 3 is an aftermarket computer setup that can be used on LS1s. There are other computer options out there, but many on this forum seem to like this one. Check it out here: http://www.bigstuff3.com/index2.html

I think the spacer might be a solution, but I really have no way to know for sure.

Personally, I've been thinking aftermarket computer anyway as I'd like to put a cam in the LS7. Without being able to tune the stock computer, let alone hook it up in a retrofit type application, I think that the aftermarket makes sense. Even if it did work, I imagine the price of the stuff I'd need to run the LS7 computer (PCM, harness, MAF, software), would come close to what the BS3 costs at $2300. Granted there are still hurdles to overcome using aftermarket, but right now it looks like they'll be less subsantial than using a GM computer.
        Old 10-21-2005, 09:27 AM
        Launching!

The 58x reluctor is actually more of an industry standard than the 24x. I would think that the BS3 would work with proper wiring harness, since it is also used with Ford and Viper motors that run 58x. And the AEM universal unit would also work, but you would have to make your own harness. The new FAST unit would probably be fine as well, if the FAST people make up a new version of their adapter box to transform the 58x signal.

And I guarantee you, all of these units are easier to program than a stock ECU!
        Old 10-21-2005, 09:33 AM
        TECH Fanatic

kinda off topic, but your monte carlo is sweet man! real nice ride you got there!
        Old 10-21-2005, 11:16 AM
        SSU Moderator

BS3 works. Kurt at W2W verified this. I bet a home-grown solution like MegaSquirt could work as well.
        Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 PM
        10 Second Club

That sucks *****.............The price on those crate motors were really reasonable from what I heard. Like 12G's complete or something like that. You can always get a 422 for a bit cheaper I guess.
        Old 10-21-2005, 10:31 PM
        TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I guarantee you that the billion dollars a year aftermarket industry will figure it out ASAP.
        Old 10-21-2005, 10:49 PM
        TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RyanJ
        BS3 works. Kurt at W2W verified this. I bet a home-grown solution like MegaSquirt could work as well.
        Thanks Ryan. Just got a reply from John at BS3 that sounds very promising.
        Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 AM
        TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanJ
        x2. I would seriously look into Megasquirt as a cheaper solution.
        Old 10-22-2005, 02:11 PM
        TECH Addict

I think for some folks it will be much more easy just to send their crate LS7 to their trusted machinest and swap the reluctor wheel... this assuming mounting ID's are exactly the same. IMO, if someone is gonna spend a grip on a crate motor... comparatively speaking it will be pocket change to swap in a 24X reluctor wheel.

.. and if LS7 crate motor owners are going to swap back to a wet sump setup (assuming GM says this is OK) it will be easy for the machinest to machine a dip stick hole in the mounting boss when the shortblock is apart anyway... no?
        Old 10-22-2005, 02:22 PM
        Staging Lane

That's terrible.
        Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 PM
        TECH Regular

I was told by the tech support staff at Accel that their Gen7 system will work. If memory serves, I think John (BigStuff) had involvement in the creation of both the Accel and the FAST products.

There is an LS7 waiting for me at the freight dock! Can't wait to get it installed!!! I am sure there will be a viable solution soon and we'll see some installs going to the track.

Who is making a cam for the LS7 already?
        Old 10-23-2005, 07:36 AM
        TECH Resident

Somebody should be able to come up with a plug and play "black box" for the crank sensor that converts the signal.