Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

500 ci LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 ci LS2?

My younger brother said there was a company at SEMA with a bored and stroked LS2 block. It was 500 cubic inches and capable of over 1000 hp. They wanted 10K for the block. That was all he remembered. Does any one have any more info on this block or the company that makes it?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

The company is ERL. Its a tall deck block with spacers. No price was set yet. I would look at the world block before the ERL.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99camaroB4C
My younger brother said there was a company at SEMA with a bored and stroked LS2 block. It was 500 cubic inches and capable of over 1000 hp. They wanted 10K for the block. That was all he remembered. Does any one have any more info on this block or the company that makes it?
Yes indeed it is ERL. Although the only pricing i have seen is complete, installed with custom headers and tuned for around 30g's. A lot of coin.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Yes indeed it is ERL. Although the only pricing i have seen is complete, installed with custom headers and tuned for around 30g's. A lot of coin.
But it is alot of motor....
Old 01-16-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

1,000 hp with FI. But any LSx based engine can do that with 100+ less cubes for less than half the money.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Collections Removal

he company is ERL. Its a tall deck block with spacers. No price was set yet. I would look at the world block before the ERL.

Order 66,
Thanks for mentioning the alternative of the World Warhawk block.
To introduce myself, I work at World Products, which is a sponsor here on LS1 Tech.
I'd be happy to answer any questions members may have regarding our new line of blocks and heads for LS enthusiasts. You'll get answers directly from the designers of the castings and tooling for this highly specialized equipment.
This exciting engine group is crammed with quality aftermarket suppliers, as mentioned above. Now World has committed substantial effort to join the offerings. The block is just the beginning. The heads should arrive around late summer.
Hope to be of help.
Regards,
Old 01-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Teching In

MerlinPro,

Thanks for chiming in!
So, ahh, how large can you get a Warhawk block up to? Maybe a better question is how large with what components? I'd love get as many cubic inches into a normally aspirated build as possible.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Fast Question Too, Can We Use The Warhawk Blocks In A 98-2002 Trans Am's Which Uses Ls1 Pcm. Or Do We Have To Buy Extentions To Convert To Ls2 Style
Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Collections Removal

Default World Questions

Airwrench,
We are examining a possible 4.500" stroke in the 9.800" block which should yield 481 ci with 4.125" bore. As we stand, 4.125" x 4.250", is cake.
Eagle will be our crank and rods of choice, with Manley or possibly Mahle pistons.

Solid,
All of our sensor locations on the blocks are OEM EXCEPT the knock sensors, which are located on the block sides, out of the valley. We believe you won't need extensions, merely open the wrap and spread the OE wires.

Thanks to both of you for interest. Hope this helps.
MerlinPro
Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

481ci? Good lord! The aftermarket is coming out with some awsome goodies for the F-bodies!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
I work at World Products, which is a sponsor here on LS1 Tech...

The block is just the beginning. The heads should arrive around late summer.
Hope to be of help.
Regards,
I'm not sure if you're who I think you are, but either way it's nice to see you here on LS1 tech.

What's the scope on the heads, "late summer"?!?! I thought they should be hitting the streets right around the same time as the blocks (March)??? Are the blocks going to be availible in March as planned?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wet 1,
I'm your inside line to World. I changed my username since we became sposors. MerlinPro is my partner in crime. I'm just lurking every so often. The late summer comment I believe is in reference to some Blue Oval heads I am developing right now, which is for a different web site entirely! We anticipate the heads for the Warhawk block in the same time frame as the block.

Last edited by Warhawk 1; 01-23-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

B,
You guys are multipling and coming out of the woodwork like ants! LOL. Good to see you're spending some time around here!

Glad to hear the status on the block and heads is still on track, there are a lot of guys here who are really looking forward to seeing your products on the streets in the coming months.

BTW, what are you doing working on that blue oval crap??? I can think of another set of heads which we'd rather see you spending your time on!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We're just trying to level the playing field a little bit. You don't really want to be THAT far out in front do you?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

yes we do ^^

im getting anxious you guys!!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Default Bump for WP

Originally Posted by Warhawk 1
We're just trying to level the playing field a little bit. You don't really want to be THAT far out in front do you?
Level? Who wants a level playing field? I've never found the boys in blue to be much comp. anyway, they need more help than even you and your team could ever offer so please don't bother wasting your time.

On a more serious note... I never did ask you, how are the sleeves supported in your LS block? I know when they are machined in after the fact they are sometimes prone to dropping, most often in new blocks since the steps haven't been conditioned or seasoned. What are you guys doing to keep them from ever dropping? I'd hate to have to take a ride across the Sound to throw my new block on someone's desk!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wet,
Our sleeves have a much larger flange around the top than GM's. More bearing surface. Their earlier LS sleeves were cast in place, ours are pressed in as their C5R block sleeves are. Our sleeves are much more robust than theirs. Its my belief that the flange on the top of their sleeve is not sufficient to keep the sleeve from dropping.
B
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

481 CI, now we are talking! What kind of header size is that going to need to support the air a mootr of that size is going to be moving? I assume with the tall deck a custom header is going to be required. What about intake clearance, is this also going to become more of an issue? I am eventually going to be building a big CI n/a motor... just trying to start looking at the options.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Oh god, don't start on the headers (inside joke)!

With a tall deck you'll likely need custom headers in the 1 7/8" - 2" range dependending on ci, application, and heads used. I think the guys at WP are working with at least one aftermarket header company to make sure there will be support.

Regarding the intake height, I would think you're only talking about a fraction of the total increase of the deck height because of the "V" configuration... so if the deck is increased .500" the intake should only be raised up ~.250". Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Also keep in mind that going to a taller deck can cause fittment issues other than just the basic "will it fit" concerns for certain applications. I can picture the engine needing to be dropped to pull a head for some applications.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

JL,
It is our belief that the current header size is too small (Reply to inside joke ). We have reduced the size of our exhaust port because of header availability. We believe that 2 inch headers should be used. We have had conversations with header companies as well as people on this forum about header size/availability. 2 inch headers must be perfectly placed on GM's C5R ports or you would effect flow. I am reasonably sure that on their C5R applications they are using at least 2 inch I.D. tubes or greater.
As far as under hood fitment, from my perspective raise the deck of the block by .56 as well as using raised valvetrain heads (bigger springs, longer lift, blah , blah) the top of the motor would rise by appx 1". Header point of attachment would also be widened.
B

Last edited by Warhawk 1; 01-24-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 500 ci LS2?