Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

For you guys who said 9s isnt obtainable....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
NICE....130 trap speed is really getting with it!

Still, best possible now becomes 10.20's Few cars achieve ideal ET's with the power they actually have....it takes a lot or experimenting with parts, both chassis and driveline related. If you can crack the 133 MPH mark it shows you have the power to weight ratio to touch the elusive 9 second barrior, but once again, ONLY in a car that takes full advantage of that power to weight ratio.....most street/strip cars are two or so tenths away....stick cars even more (harder to launch, shift quickly, etc), almost double that figure.

My car ran 124 MPH with only 11.20's for ET....A car that can run 124 MPH that is completely optimized for the track has the power to go 10.70's Im confident less tire pressure and a more aggressive launch would have yielded 11.0's, and with phenominal air maybe a high 10.90 but with unlucky #7 in the picture, I never had the time to sort things out. Well see what the 383 Im dropping in right now can muster next month in Bakersfield....Im hoping for high tens with a low/mid ten second trap speed (128-130 ish).

great points there. my 408 trapped 130 but i could only muster 10.5X's out of it with a pro-shifted M6. I wasn't optimzed gear wise with 4.10's as I played with nitrous a bit and needed the gearing for that. I felt with a good solid pass and great 60' it would go 10.39, but had the MPH for better if the gearing (4.56) was there. it actually trapped 130 in 3000DA one day.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone locally brought up another good point.....I need to get someone with hp tuners and wb and log some of the runs so that I can make adjustments off of that too! That may also be a help!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you guys keep talking bout optimized setups. What would a 136 trap speed suppose to be?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, tony if you dont mind, is there a site or anything that explains the math you are doing? That would be something interesting to have!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Black8Banger
yea, tony if you dont mind, is there a site or anything that explains the math you are doing? That would be something interesting to have!
If I told you, you guys would never get any sleep playing with all the numbers....

There are a few good computer programs but you just can't beat the Moroso slide rule. As far as weight, trapspeed, and power its basically dead nuts, but it is a little optimistic regarding power needed to achieve ET/trap speed etc. Meaning its set up to read the capabilities of a perfect dedicated drag car. For most street/strip cars add 10% to the power needed (don't forget where talking flywheel #'s). Meaning if it shows a 500 hp car that is 3500 lbs capable of 10.80 ET's, it will probably take closer to 550 to actually get the job done unless the car is extremely dialed in....and don't forget, your ET might not be there but the MPH always will (which would be about 123 in the example above).

Again, as I mentioned in one of my previous threads, most dual purpose cars won't achieve the best possible ET indicative of the MPH they run. For the guy that asked about a 136 trap speed, the "perfect" drag car would run somewhere in the 9.80's

Hope this helps....the slide rules are only $10 or so (Summit, Jegs, etc)....one of the best educational tools you can purchase for the money.

Gotta get back to wrenching on the Vette....can't wait to check out the way this solid roller small stroker is going to scream.

Have a good weekend guys....

Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-28-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: For you guys who said 9s isnt obtainable....