Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Limit of LS2 stock bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Limit of LS2 stock bottom end?

How much power do you folks feel can be taken by the stock bottom ends of these LS2 motors? My goal is to get to ~500-550rwHP (absolute ceiling) with a Magnacharger and other goodies. The tune will be very conservative/safe, going with the old adage, "It's all in the tune". Do you think this is just way too much power for the stock internals to take or do you think I could reliably run this kind of power as long as my tune is in check? I don't run and gun the car every time I step into it, but if there is an open stretch I will get on it, and of course the track usage.

If forged internals WILL be needed, would anyone be able to give me a ballpark price on how much it would be to get them installed? Seems like it would be a very extensive process and cost some coin just for the install alone, not including the price of the actual components.

Thanks for the insight.....

Last edited by 9ball; 02-01-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9, APS has just run the bone stock LS2 (not even opened) to 630rwhp i think! should make you goal no problems!

whats everyone else think??????

Chris.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
9, APS has just run the bone stock LS2 (not even opened) to 630rwhp i think! should make you goal no problems!

whats everyone else think??????

Chris.
The only thing with that is that is likely only a few runs done on a dyno, probably no more than 10-15 runs. I'm talking about every day use. I'm positive that every day I will not be driving hard enough to even create boost, but it will definetly be more than 10-15 times.

Also, it is really hard to tell how much damage is being done to the internal parts, especially when the damage may occur gradually over time....

Thanks for the response tho. I believe I have also heard of a number of people running around with those kinds of numbers on completely stock blocks without a problem.....just want to be positive about this before jumping into it and spending all that $$$
Old 02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can bend a coat hanger a lot before it breaks. But it will break.

Its only money...go for it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9ball

If forged internals WILL be needed, would anyone be able to give me a ballpark price on how much it would be to get them installed? Seems like it would be a very extensive process and cost some coin just for the install alone, not including the price of the actual components.
I curious to know the answer to this question as well, I would like to up the boost on my Procharger, but I don't want to spend for a forged 402. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 9ball
How much power do you folks feel can be taken by the stock bottom ends of these LS2 motors? My goal is to get to ~500-550rwHP
Tony, The stock bottom end is real strong on the LS2, as long as you have really efficient intercooling and a safe tuning strategy (low charge air temp, correct air fuel ratio and ignition timing retard in full engine load conditions) on 93 octane fuel then your power goals are very easy to achieve.

At APS we have a stock engined twin turbo LS1 at APS with appox 540 whp (has better than stock valve springs) that has over 60,000 miles on the clock and it's still going at strong as ever, uses about 1 pint of oil about every 2500 miles, all good and hope this helps.

Peter

Last edited by peter@aps; 02-03-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Tony, The stock bottom end is real strong on the LS2, as long as you have really efficient intercooling and a safe tuning strategy (low charge air temp, correct air fuel ratio and ignition timing retard in full engine load conditions) on 93 octane fuel then your power goals are very easy to achieve.

At APS we have a stock engined twin turbo LS1 at APS with appox 540 whp (has better than stock valve springs) that has over 60,000 miles on the clock and it's still going at strong as ever, uses about 1 pint of oil about every 2500 miles, all good and hope this helps.

Peter
My name's not Tony, you may be confusing me with someone else, lol. But THANK YOU! for the great info....makes me a bit more at east.

Now here's another Q:

If 2 identical cars with identical motors making identical power, which car would be faster? Really, which would have a more linear power curve, AKA more area under the power curve.

I would think that a N/A application would be a bit peakier in making the high HP numbers while a FI application would be a bit more linear, thus making it the faster of the identical cars (with identical drivers if you want to really get technical). Am I wrong in this assumption? Is the N/A actually better?

Just so it's clear, the cars would have:

Naturally-Aspirated:
Heads
Cam
Full Exhaust
Intake manifold
CAI

Forced Induction:
Roots Style SC
Full Exhaust
CAI

Saying that both these cars made exactly the same (lets say 450rwHP for argument's sake) peak HP numbers, which would have the more linear curve?

Thanks for all the helpful info folks

Last edited by 9ball; 02-03-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for a heads/cam package to hit 500-550 rwhp then your going to have to go with a big cam, which would decrease your idle/daily driving quality and it would be more peaky, whereas if you went with saw a twin screw or positive displacement S/C youd hit that goal of 500-550 rwhp, maintain pretty much teh same idle/driving quality, and youd have much more low end torque. Also not to be a wiseass but N/A is naturally aspirated. Hope that helps and id def go with the supercharger! Good luck!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
If your looking for a heads/cam package to hit 500-550 rwhp then your going to have to go with a big cam, which would decrease your idle/daily driving quality and it would be more peaky, whereas if you went with saw a twin screw or positive displacement S/C youd hit that goal of 500-550 rwhp, maintain pretty much teh same idle/driving quality, and youd have much more low end torque. Also not to be a wiseass but N/A is naturally aspirated. Hope that helps and id def go with the supercharger! Good luck!
LOL, fixed it. My mind was dealing with something completely different that cars when writing that part, lol
Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Haha yea ive had those days too, especially since im always on here when at work, ill type something and then go back later on and be like "wow what was I thinking". By the way do you have a c6 or an 05 gto?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Haha yea ive had those days too, especially since im always on here when at work, ill type something and then go back later on and be like "wow what was I thinking". By the way do you have a c6 or an 05 gto?
05 GTO
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

I don't see the big deal...... if it's boosted, keep it from detonating, you'll be good. I think Everyone forgets cars Like Gnx's, which had a lil ol 3.8 that most people would lightly mod to 400 hp, and run it for 100000 miles, on the stock cast pistons. It really is in the tune. Just don't spin the Hell outta it, and love it.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm making a little over 650rwhp with my h/c N20 LS2 and i have been abusing it for some time now....
Old 02-05-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, is that a stock engine?????
Old 02-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Teching In

As long as you NEVER, I repeat NEVER go into spark knock you should be fine at around 500 hp.
The stock LS2 pistons are the weak point in the whole system. If you even go into a tiny bit of knock under power, say goodbye to the top ringlands.

These pistons aren't the high quality Mahle casting found inthe LS6, I am pretty sure they just took the LQ9 setup and put it in the LS2. So, however much they are making in the LQ9's is how much you can go on the LS2.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all your help folks, truly.

One last question. What could one realistically expect from this set-up:

Cartek Stage 3x Heads
Cartek Stage 2X Cam
FAST 90/90 Intake
Volant CAI
SW Full Exhaust

All out of an LS2 M6. Would this be streetable for daily driver use?

Thanks again for everything.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Depends on who tunes it. If its cartek then they should have no problem getting their setups to idle almost identical to stock. Also depends on how radical the cam is, do you happen to know the specs? If its in the 23X/23X range with an lsa of 114 or higher it should idle well and have good street manners. Id say with that setup your would easily see 420-440 rwhp depending on the cam specs. Only thing you would probably need on top of that is upgraded fuel pump and injectors. Im not positive on the size injectors in the ls2 but i think youd be close to maxing them out when hitting that HP range.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

The bottom end on the LS2's are pretty damn good, it's the pistons you gotta worry about
Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05_GTO
The bottom end on the LS2's are pretty damn good, it's the pistons you gotta worry about
Your car SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05_GTO
The pistons are part of the bottom end....no?

Quick Reply: Limit of LS2 stock bottom end?