Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Solstice this month in HOT ROD

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, just to be diffent I would have a turbo charged solstice for the same $$$ as a Z06.
Why??? Just cause could you imagine how fun it would be to try to keep something under 3000lbs straight with 1000+hp. Then the looks on peoples faces when it traps 150+ at the track.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hellbents10
....Just cause could you imagine how fun it would be to try to keep something under 3000lbs straight with 1000+hp. Then the looks on peoples faces when it traps 150+ at the track.
Or when you wrap it around a tree ...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by badaSS98
Yes I will document the build. I will be taking pics and writing down what I can. I think it will be fun. I won't be doing it alone though, another member from this site will be doing a good portion of the work as well. As sad as it is, Bob Lutz seems to have made it very clear that a V8 won't ever be an option for this veichle, as the crash standards wouldn't be met through the government. Also, the platform is "supposedly" only build to house inline style engines.. haha.. right!

Jay
What do you figure as the engine wt delta?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RussStang
The LS2 Solstice must be making more than stock hp levels than, because it has a very similar power-to-weight ratio as a c6 vette. Might a bring up again that the Vette is going to in all likelyhood have a much better weight distribution. I bet the Vette is going to have a much better time moving from a stop than the Solstice will. badaSS98 remarked that the Mallet Solstice has gone 12.7 at the track, well within the realms of stock c6 capability. The Vette is going to handle better, brake better, and accelerate just as well as a Mallet Solstice, with a full GM warranty and all the goodies that come associated with Vettes.

I think alot of the guys on here are getting stuck up on thinking that just because the Solstice is a roadster, it must be super light. The v8 Mallet Solstice, when all is said and done, weighs over 3000lbs, and much of the new weight in the car is positions right where it shouldn't be, on the nose. The car is a novelty, but if I had to drop big money, its going to be on the Vette.
The Solstice LS2 has custom manfolds I don't think they qualify as headers, custom intake and has been tuned by the same guys who did my tune. I don't know what the HP numbers are but I'm willing to bet its a tad more than stock. As I said in my original quote the guy that built the car said 11's, I didn't see it run so I can't vouch for this but I have no reason to doubt it. Maybe I'll catch it at Norwalk one of these days.

Curb weight of the Solstice =2860 + say 300 lbs for the LS2 and various goodies. 3160

Curb weight of the standard C6 = 3179

Very close, I'd love to see them run.

Last edited by radkon; 03-24-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Here is some extra info just incase some haven't seen it. Their car weighed in at 2860 and the conversion was said to add 150 pounds. The recorded times are on the second link at the top of the page.. All the pics that are shown seem to have stock manifolds, and the specs suggest that. Also there are a few people on the solstice forum that are getting the swap done by mallet and they will be stock as well.
Yeah TJ I like the quiet nasty ones.. hahah

jay

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...VEHICLEREVIEWS
also
http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm
and
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

Last edited by badaSS98; 03-24-2006 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Addin text
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

The 2007 Solstice GXP will have a Turbocharged Ecotec 3.0L I-4 engine producing 260 hp and 260 lb/ft of torque. At under 3000 lbs lbs, that wont be too bad. The engine produces 2.1 hp per CID. Based on the strionger GEN 2 Ecotec, the 122 cid engine features a forged crank, forged rods and pistons and direct injection aluminum head with sodium filled exhaust valves. The fuel injectors mount in the head itself and inject fuel directly into the chamber wusing a 1200+ psi rail pressure. This provides better fuel economy, better emissions and higher power.
It also has variable valve timing, a twin scroll turbo and an air-to-air intercooler. Not too shabby for a 4 banger.

It would be nice if GM would drop a detuned LS2 into the Solstice, they would never do a full 400 hp LS2 as GM wouldnt want the Solstice to have the same power as the Vette.

I find it quite depressing that a GM Inline 4 cylinder acn make 269 net hp, and way back in 1997 my Vortec 350 was rated at 255 hp and 330 lb/ft of torq.

peace
Hog
Old 03-24-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Some ridiculous money to make a 20 thousand something dollar car go fast.

As RussStang said ... just buy a Z06. Not to mention after you put all that money and work into the solstice, it will only be worth like 25g's ... while the Z06 will be worth 85-90% of what you paid for it.

Cool idea, but lot's of cash.
Gotta agree with you.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hog
...I find it quite depressing that a GM Inline 4 cylinder acn make 269 net hp, and way back in 1997 my Vortec 350 was rated at 255 hp and 330 lb/ft of torq.

peace
Hog
In 1980, California Corvettes were 180 HP..
Old 03-26-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Hog just to clarify it's a 2.0 Liter for the GXP not 3 Liter (that would be a huge 4 banger)
Rustang, the Solstice actually has a double indepented rear suspension with coil springs. The vette, well it has a monoleaf connecting both sides.
Solstice Handling may just suprise you.

I stop'd by the Pontiac dealership this morning and they had a Solstice on the show room floor... Jet Black, Black Leathers... Freak'n Small.

I smack'd my knee cap's when I got into the thing and smack'd my elbow when I closed the door. I drove F-Bodies from March 2000 up until Halloween of 05 when I parted ways with my WS6 for a 05 GTO.

The room in the Solstice is minimalistic at best, then again I weight in at the 250lb range.... I'ld have to go with a Vette just for interior room... But I'ld love to convert the rear on Vette to a independent coil spring setup..

If the conversion is done correctly and you add in coil over struts to all corners with larger antisway bars a 402/LS2 Solstice would probably hold it's own against the LS7 Z06 as long as the 402 was built up to match the power and you shoved a decent amount of ruber under the rear fender wells.

On that Note...
What is the Maximum size tire width you can fit in the rear end of a Solstice before you have to tub it, roll the fenders, and start moving suspension components: 255, 275, 315?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RussStang
It is to my understanding that GM is not making a whole lot of money on the Kappa cars (Solstice, Sky, and Opel GT in Europe), so putting a v8 in there and adding all of the supporting hardware needed to keep the car from lunching itself and flooding GM with warranty claims is going to take more R&D, and is likely going to cost more than $5k more over base MSRP. Besides, there is a point of diminishing returns with most cars when their costs start to increase exponential; how many do you think GM would actually sell?

I am not particularly a GM fan, but I fail to see as to how they are jackasses about this.
You are making alot of assumptions here and have no idea what it would cost to do it right. The number one complaint about the car is power to weight...and they had the tools to prevent that from happening. So another reason their stock sucks..jackasses.

This guy is going to do it the way GM should have...and is making the car that I would buy...GM didnt
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

As RussStang said ... just buy a Z06. Not to mention after you put all that money and work into the solstice, it will only be worth like 25g's ... while the Z06 will be worth 85-90% of what you paid for it.

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Gotta agree with you.

Why do you say that??? People try to do it with mustangs all the time, which are less refined and dont' handle nearly as good. JMO.

Also why is GM losing on the Kappa platform. That platform is being borrowed from Europe and is making money. That's why anyone who orders a solstice or a sky is on a waiting list. I ordered mine back in NOV. I was 1 of 16000 waiting for the car that was supposed to be hear by now, which isn't.
GM did exactly what it should have done. Create a ROADSTER for less than 20K that people would go crazy over and bring attention to the showrooms. GM created a roadster that was built for carving corners and looking good doing it that wasn't a chick car and had just enough power to scoot along. They left the rest up to people like me that wouldn't mind dropping in a 402 with 650hp at around 3000lbs. I can still carve corners, rip damn near anything on the street in half (even that built mustang) or just cruise and get 26+mpg if I desire. With the price of the car I'm still at less than 35K and that's with forged internals and all HI PO parts..

Jay
Old 03-26-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Why is modding a Solstice ridiculous?
Every heard of tuner culture? Their cars are even more shitty.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Right on Jay, the Solstice is on the 10 ten list for hottest cars right now. They do NOT sit on the lot for more then 15 days and they are selling at or ABOVE the sticker price. What other GM's are doing that, sure the hell isn't a GTO. Vette is the only thing that comes to mind that sells for or near the sticker price. Also they are not flying off the lots like the Kappa cars.

I say stock sucks and mod the little car and make Vette, Viper, and what ever other exotic car owners go home with their tail between their legs. For 35-40k total.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
You are making alot of assumptions here and have no idea what it would cost to do it right. The number one complaint about the car is power to weight...and they had the tools to prevent that from happening. So another reason their stock sucks..jackasses.

This guy is going to do it the way GM should have...and is making the car that I would buy...GM didnt
I would disagree on the assumptions part. You are making an assumption that is far more speculative than I am; that a v8 Solstice would cost only a few thousand more. With all of these go fast goodies, and a GM warranty behind it, the R&D costs would have increased by no small margin.

Everyone on the internet is always a better engineer than the auto manufacturers.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
Hog just to clarify it's a 2.0 Liter for the GXP not 3 Liter (that would be a huge 4 banger)
Rustang, the Solstice actually has a double indepented rear suspension with coil springs. The vette, well it has a monoleaf connecting both sides.
Solstice Handling may just suprise you.
Yeah, I know what kind of suspension setup the Solstice has, and I know what kind of suspension setup the Corvette has. V8 LS7 Solstice versus a z06 Corvette, my money is on the z06 Corvette, all other things being equal (same tires, upgraded suspensions, same hp engines.) A v8 Solstice is going to be minimally lighter than a z06, and with the v8 engine up front, you can expect weight distribution to be very much in the Vette's favor. There is a reason the Vette has a rear mounted transaxle.

Like I said earlier, a v8 Solstice is a cool idea, but I would never bother doing it. Too much work and money for too little benefit. I could see doing a v8 Miata, given that even with a v8 in it the thing is still pretty damn light, but not with a car that is going to throw away what little weight advantage it has in stock trim. I think the Kappa cars are just too damn heavy for their class.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a link for David from Werks Performance, he is very knowledgable, and has helped me with some questions. Im sure he'll be glad to answer anyone here that might have some as well. Also he will be selling a DIY kit here real soon. I give him "Props" if you will .. haha.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10995
Jay

Last edited by badaSS98; 03-27-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:20 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Originally Posted by badaSS98
Why do you say that??? People try to do it with mustangs all the time, which are less refined and dont' handle nearly as good. JMO..........They left the rest up to people like me that wouldn't mind dropping in a 402 with 650hp at around 3000lbs. I can still carve corners, rip damn near anything on the street in half (even that built mustang) or just cruise and get 26+mpg if I desire. With the price of the car I'm still at less than 35K and that's with forged internals and all HI PO parts..

Jay

I NeVeR said that modding a solstice was a bad idea .... I said that the 40g package was ALOT OF MONEY to spend to make a 20g car go fast. i.e. you could do it far cheaper ... or it wouldnt be worth it to me. Not saying people wouldn't do it. But even as you just said .... spend 10-15g's, and drop a 402ci LS2 in there ..... instead of the 40g's for the mallot package. So in a way, you were saying exactly the same thing I was.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone know the dry weight of a 2.2 Liter Ecotech Longblock with the dual overhead cam and 16 valves.

Cause a Longblock LS2 is about 400 to 450, depending on if the crank is gun drilled, knife edged, and scallop'd or not.

The question would be how much weight is added to the nose when you subtract the wieght of the 2.2 with is multiple cam's and what not and replace it with the simple OHV LS2... That and the difference in weight from the 5 speed truck transmission -vs- a Tremac T56 (what ever happened to the borgwarner T56?)
Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Jay is using a built T-56 in his.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Teching In

I think something to the tune of a all aluminum 3.5v6 with 300+hp would be great in the solstice. In my opinion that would be best for a high performance stock solstice. The turbo 4 that it is going to get will be great for tuning. 3-400+hp should be easy with upgraded turbo and such, as long as internals are strong.

Quick Reply: LS7 Solstice this month in HOT ROD