Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Gauging Interest in L-92 Sheet Metal Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I don't know how it will compare to the harrop. We don't seem to be getting the interest needed to continue this project.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
This fits under the f-body cowl?

What about under the hood of a C5? If yes, and you're going to offer in a LS7 port config, I'm down.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
1) A sheet metal intake will always lose power down low at the expense of carrying power higher into the rpm band. It's because they have a shorter runner and is the nature of the beast that is sheet metal intakes.

2) A 105 mm tb wont add much if anything in the way of power unless you're building a solid roller 8500 rpm 402, or a 430+ cube motor.

3) A FAST 90mm intake wont work with the LS7 heads. End of story

4) The harrop is 8 54mm throttle bodies. That is a pretty big surface area advantage over the single but I don't even see you needing bigger than a 90mm. However the single will be much cheaper.

5) If you're really worried about having enough air for your motor, just buy the LS7 heads and intake combo and play away. You'll have enough air to carry your motor to 7000 rpm and still make 650 rwhp with enough cubes and big enough cam.

Nate

True... A 105mm T/B is a waste of money on a 400-427 engine... Maybe a 95mm on a all out high-rev 427 but that's about it. JMHO.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

I know sheet metal intakes cost this much, but I think the reason you arent seeing the interest is due to the cost. These are a low cost head, hell the heads completly assembled, with light port work are going to cost just a hair more than your asking for the intake.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dune-LS1
True... A 105mm T/B is a waste of money on a 400-427 engine... Maybe a 95mm on a all out high-rev 427 but that's about it. JMHO.
We all just went from heads for the past 8 years flowing around 330cfm, maybe a little more. Now we have heads closing in on 400cfm available today. I don't think anyone knows YET what will happen with a big cube engine, these badass heads, and a 105mm TB. Has to be better than the 90mm stuff. HAS TO BE.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mizfit MotorSports
But to add we did make the runners longer on the intake in order to help salvage some of the low end power.
Noone has ever really explained to me how much low end power you lose with these types of intakes. Will it make my 436 a dog, or is it hardly noticable on big cube engines? I mean if the engine is putting down 650 RWHP, will it still rock off the line? Plus, my car is a 100% street car. I could care less about losing 20-30 RWHP down low with that much power, so if this is what we're talking about I'd love to have one of these over the MUCH more restrictive LS7 intake or FAST 90's.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69firebird
I know sheet metal intakes cost this much, but I think the reason you arent seeing the interest is due to the cost. These are a low cost head, hell the heads completly assembled, with light port work are going to cost just a hair more than your asking for the intake.

bingo.

i completely understand the price.. and for what you're getting, thats good.... but its not what im looking for... i think the FAST intake is overpriced... the only way im getting a sheetmetal intake like that is if i weld it myself....

and on that note... how much would you want for a CNCed intake port flange that holds the stock O-ring gaskets?? if thoes plates are cheap enough, maybe i'll try to make one..
Old 04-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Banned

Did anybody else notice the Coors cans in the background?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

I was interested till it was $500-750 too much for a budget setup....back to looking for other options
Old 04-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stang90gt50
I was interested till it was $500-750 too much for a budget setup....back to looking for other options
You're not just getting an intake, you're also getting a 90mm TB and a set of fuel rails. So the actual price is probably around 900-1000 for a sheet metal intake.

If you think you're ever gonna find another sheet metal intake for a grand you're ******* retarded.

Nate
Old 04-30-2006, 02:12 AM
Banned

I understand..but when your buying these heads instead of TEA ported Darts or ls7's etc to do a budget setup then it seems to defy the purpose to spend $1k on a intake.

Great intake and its awesome someone is coming out with one for these heads. I hope they sell alot as the more LS1 parts available the better, but it definately is out of my price range.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin
Now we have heads closing in on 400cfm available today. I don't think anyone knows YET what will happen with a big cube engine, these badass heads, and a 105mm TB. Has to be better than the 90mm stuff. HAS TO BE.
These heads flow so much air, I think a 105 will make some good gains on a big motor. I also think this is a good price for this intake. It just looks way to tall to fit under the cowl. Maybe I'm wrong, never got an answer *shrug*
Old 04-30-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

yeah,
wonder whatd it be without TB and rails.
is there any reason the rails we already have wouldnt work? Not the stockers but if we already have after market ones wouldnt they work?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

You're not just getting an intake, you're also getting a 90mm TB and a set of fuel rails. So the actual price is probably around 900-1000 for a sheet metal intake.

If you think you're ever gonna find another sheet metal intake for a grand you're ******* retarded.

Nate

Thank you

Look we developed this kit for the main reason of getting these setup out there and together. We cut the normal price of sheet metal intakes in half so I can't understand why the complaining about the price. When we started this there was no other option as far as intakes goes but it sounds like GM will have one coming out soon which is great and hopefully it will flow pretty well and so we can keep this new L92 top end cheap, but to say the package we were going to put together is overpriced then that is crazy. I have never seen anyone else do something like this as cheap as we have. We will be putting this intake on a car in the next few weeks to see how it does and when we do we will post up some results for you guys to judge if this kit is worth it or not.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Nate

Thank you

Look we developed this kit for the main reason of getting these setup out there and together. We cut the normal price of sheet metal intakes in half so I can't understand why the complaining about the price. When we started this there was no other option as far as intakes goes but it sounds like GM will have one coming out soon which is great and hopefully it will flow pretty well and so we can keep this new L92 top end cheap, but to say the package we were going to put together is overpriced then that is crazy. I have never seen anyone else do something like this as cheap as we have. We will be putting this intake on a car in the next few weeks to see how it does and when we do we will post up some results for you guys to judge if this kit is worth it or not.
I like the price, will it fit under the WS6 hood.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

yes it will. We need to check and see if it will fit under the vette and GTO's as well.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

updated pics on 1st page.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

yes it will. We need to check and see if it will fit under the vette and GTO's as well.
I assume I would lose my STB? Which isn't a real big deal.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

updated pics on 1st page.
That looks amazing. Im definitely interested now.

Nate
Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quickin
We all just went from heads for the past 8 years flowing around 330cfm, maybe a little more. Now we have heads closing in on 400cfm available today. I don't think anyone knows YET what will happen with a big cube engine, these badass heads, and a 105mm TB. Has to be better than the 90mm stuff. HAS TO BE.

I'm just being specific. "400-427 CID"

I'll tell you what. I have three Hogan's sheet metal Intakes coming, should be here next week. They are all set up for 90mm T/B. I plan on using a F.A.S.T, Wilson and a Holley on each manifold to see who does the best on the dyno... I'll post the results on this board for all to see. Then, I'll order my next three Intakes with a 95, 100 and a 105mm T/B opening and do the same thing... <(Not because you want to see but because I'd like to see myself)... And post the dyno results on this board. Then there will be no question about it. These engines will NOT be street engines, mind you... We're talking about all out race engines so none of this will prove a thing to the "street car" user... Just an FYI.

Of course this all depends on World Products. If the Block and heads are not ready in May... I'm not sure anything will happen for a while. I'm at their mercy. (I will not build the kind of engine I want to build using a "production" engine block... I just won't do it) The CR-5 block is my only other choice and I'll use that block if WP drops the ball on their block. Then I'll have a fire sell on Intakes that I have and buy the new ETP canted valve head and have new sheet metal intakes made for then... In my "opinion" the WP LS7X head "should" be that much better than anything on the market today! The only head that I think will be better is the new ETP canted valve head... It's going to be a killer head with a deadly PRICE to go along with it... Way to much in my opinion but what can you do?... Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in L-92 Sheet Metal Intake